• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Cleaning Tips for White Ski Pants

Peppermint

Angel Diva
Hi,

I have a pair of white ski pants that are around 10 years old. I think I have only washed them maybe 5 times in total since they are only worn around 5-8 days per year. Over the years they have started to turn yellow and am wondering how to get them white again without messing with the waterproofness of the fabric. In the photo below, my daughter is on the left with the pants and when compared to her friend on the right, they don't look white anymore.
Does anyone out there have any tips to get them white again?
IMG_2413.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2442.jpeg
    IMG_2442.jpeg
    767.7 KB · Views: 7

geargrrl

Angel Diva
1. regarding waterproof, search my posts for how to best rewaterproof pants. Correct washing will improve waterproofing, not degrade it.
2. Discoloration is either grime or age. Ski wear should be washed every season. Synthetic fabrics do react with the environment and degrade over time so there may be nothing to be done about yellowing but try a wash.

Peppermint

Angel Diva
Thanks @geargrrl . I just re-read many of your posts. A couple of questions:
If I don't have powdered laundry detergent, should I go buy some or is the liquid OK to use? I have Persil liquid detergent.
Do you still like Grangers the best? I wanted to buy a kit with the wash and the other product to restore the DWR but the kit is hard to find after doing a quick online search. Most retailers like REI only have the combo product that washes and restores at the same time. How do you feel about the combo product?
Here is the link: https://www.rei.com/product/218883/grangers-wash-repel-clothing-2-in-1-wash

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Any detergent is fine. I don't think I specify powder.
I haven't tried the combo products. Grangers, Nikwax, it's all the same function. For my triple wash method a combo product won't work. I'd see if the pants whiten up with a wash before going to the trouble and expense of rewaterproofing.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I dislike combo products - don't think they work. What I'd do:

- Wash as normal, extra rinses - this is to get any leftover DWR stuff off
- Make a mixture of oxyclean + dawn detergent and cake onto garment for a couple of hours
- Rinse this out well and if possible, hang to dry in sun with any leftover stains exposed to the sun
- Wash with tech wash to re-apply the DWR.

Notes:
The mixture of oxyclean + dawn gets a lot of tough stains out including grease.
The sun is the best bleach ever.
The tech wash like Nikwax after doesn't clean, it just re-applies the DWR finish

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It might be just the picture but, to me, they don't look yellowed. They just look more of an ivory white than a snow white. I actually prefer an ivory white.
We have a lot of the same preferences. Colors, bindings, haha!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna