• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

changing boots from flex 40 to 95.

newboots

Angel Diva
There is in some boots but they're pretty limited, and at least on my shins, still not all that short. But it's more a me problem.

Um, sounds more like a boot problem! Don't forget "shrink it and pink it!" Are they designing with women in mind?

Bowl

Certified Ski Diva
Isn't there a "short cuff" version? Asking because I don't know.

I have Lange 110 SC (SC -> short cuff). I have short legs, I was told to get boots w/ short cuffs.

Just looked into your boot, a boot for junior racer as well as women. I remembered looked into this, but the higher number of flex deterred me. If I ever get into the expert range....

alison wong

Angel Diva
Just looked into your boot, a boot for junior racer as well as women. I remembered looked into this, but the higher number of flex deterred me. If I ever get into the expert range....
Heck, I am no expert. I am very very intermediate (intermediate to the square root of 2!)

There are 2 pins in the back of my boots. Having both pins in make it "stiff".
Removing 1 pin make it less stiff (more flex), removing 2 pins make it very flex. My boot fitter removed 1 pin and I am able to fiex my ankle without feeling too "stiff".

I was told by my boot fitter: You can make stiff boot less stiff, but not the other way around.

Found more notes from my boot fitter friend to share. This is about the order of buckling your boots and how to make your heels sit in the back of boots.

"As your foot moves about in the boot a pocket will develop over your cuneiforms this will usualy relieve pressure over the arch.
Remember to only use light pressure when buckling the toe and instep buckles over your foot, I recommend One finger pressure.
You can adjust by spinning the buckle left(loose) or right(tight) and adusting bail position to get this pressure.

Remember when you put the boots on to always buckle the top cuff buckle and tighten the powerstrap, then flex at least 5 times.
this will lever your heel back into the pocket.
Then buckle the lower cuff buckle and flex again tightening both cuff buckles until you have firm presure around your calf and your heel is
locked into the pocket of the boot.

Only then whould you attempt to adjust the buckles for the toe and over the instep.

Remember, these boots are not buckets and your foot should be restrained in side to side motion by the tight fit.

If this condition does not go away your fitter can adjust the boots to remedy this condition.
It's a very easy fix most of the time especially on Lange Race boots."

Bowl

Certified Ski Diva
Regarding short cuff, looks like the boot I ordered is considered women's cuff, with an option to go down by 1.5cm/half an inch more. I am knock kneed, so the inner side is bothering me even after the cuff adjustment. I read it somewhere that a good boot fitter can cut cuff off at the pressure points. is that true? If I can't find a boot fitter here to do that, I think I am going to try it myself. :-)

Bowl

Certified Ski Diva
Heck, I am no expert. I am very very intermediate (intermediate to the square root of 2!)

There are 2 pins in the back of my boots. Having both pins in make it "stiff".
Removing 1 pin make it less stiff (more flex), removing 2 pins make it very flex. My boot fitter removed 1 pin and I am able to fiex my ankle without feeling too "stiff".

I was told by my boot fitter: You can make stiff boot less stiff, but not the other way around.

"

Nice advice from your boot fitter.

Bowl

Certified Ski Diva
Reporting back on the two pair of boots I just received today. Both boots fit quite well just out of the box!

The Dalbello Chakra boots has an ID liner, which is a continuous liner wrapped around my calf. Another pair is the Tecnica Mach1 95, it has the the regular liner with the center tongue.
Chakra has a significantly lower cuff plastic, by about a half an inch, with the option to go down another half an inch. The liners for both boots are roughly the same height. Chakra 's plastic cuff is not universal height around the top. On the side of the boots, the cuff plastic is much lower, almost the same height as my current girl boots . My calf is much more comfortable in the Dalbello, nothing is pinching or in the way when I am tipping.

I feel that Dalbello Chakra has a slight more forward lean, but I can't find any document to support that.

Dalbello is a lateral boot, which means the rivet inside is higher than the outside. Tecnica is boarderline a rotary boot, which means the rivet inside is lower than the outside. (according to Harald Harb, this is bad). Tecnica does seems well made , and seems a better quality. I would say Dalbello is perfect for a petite women like me.

Overall, I am happy with both, but definitely prefer Dalbello for its comfort around the calf.

Bowl

Certified Ski Diva
Many thanks to all the posts here and the forum. That turns me from a boot idiot to somewhat knowledgeable on what to look for, and what to expect when transition to a pair of new boots. Too bad , the ski season has already ended here, so I will have to wait till November to put on my new boots.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Reporting back on the two pair of boots I just received today. Both boots fit quite well just out of the box!

The Dalbello Chakra boots has an ID liner, which is a continuous liner wrapped around my calf. Another pair is the Tecnica Mach1 95, it has the the regular liner with the center tongue.
Chakra has a significantly lower cuff plastic, by about a half an inch, with the option to go down another half an inch. The liners for both boots are roughly the same height. Chakra 's plastic cuff is not universal height around the top. On the side of the boots, the cuff plastic is much lower, almost the same height as my current girl boots . My calf is much more comfortable in the Dalbello, nothing is pinching or in the way when I am tipping.

I feel that Dalbello Chakra has a slight more forward lean, but I can't find any document to support that.

Dalbello is a lateral boot, which means the rivet inside is higher than the outside. Tecnica is boarderline a rotary boot, which means the rivet inside is lower than the outside. (according to Harald Harb, this is bad). Tecnica does seems well made , and seems a better quality. I would say Dalbello is perfect for a petite women like me.

Overall, I am happy with both, but definitely prefer Dalbello for its comfort around the calf.
I just bought from my bootfitter's shop at Northstar the Dalbello Asolo 95 W GW boots and they are a great fit. Here's a write up on them from ski essentials (didn't purchase there)

https://www.skiessentials.com/2021-dalbello-ds-asolo-95-gw-womens-ski-boots.html#520=

Bowl

Certified Ski Diva
I just bought from my bootfitter's shop at Northstar the Dalbello Asolo 95 W GW boots and they are a great fit. Here's a write up on them from ski essentials (didn't purchase there)

https://www.skiessentials.com/2021-dalbello-ds-asolo-95-gw-womens-ski-boots.html#520=
@santacruz skier, It is interesting that in the link you provided, it said the at flex 95, it is considered a "soft " boot. I though 95 is pretty stiff for small-feet diva, who usually are also petite and lighter than average.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
@santacruz skier, It is interesting that in the link you provided, it said the at flex 95, it is considered a "soft " boot. I though 95 is pretty stiff for small-feet diva, who usually are also petite and lighter than average.
I saw that too. It is not a soft boot. It’s very stiff and bootfitter had the make adjustments to soften. I’m 5’1 105 and have been skiing 45 years. It’s so stiff I need a boot horn to get into it. Very snug fit.

Bowl

Certified Ski Diva
I saw that too. It is not a soft boot. It’s very stiff and bootfitter had the make adjustments to soften. I’m 5’1 105 and have been skiing 45 years. It’s so stiff I need a boot horn to get into it. Very snug fit.
yes, I feel 95 is very stiff for me as well. I am the same height as you, but 10 lbs heavier. For now, without any time on the snow with the new boots, I am keeping my soft girl boots just in case. :wink:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
yes, I feel 95 is very stiff for me as well. I am the same height as you, but 10 lbs heavier. For now, without any time on the snow with the new boots, I am keeping my soft girl boots just in case. :wink:
I think the 95 Asolo is the softest flex in that particular model... Different brands flex are not the same. The 95 could be a 100 in another brand and vice versa. So I usually don’t pay much attention to the flex number.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the Chakra 95. I don't find them too stiff, but I weigh way more than you! They will be stiff for you, especially when you make that initial switch. But they might work out just fine as you adjust to them.

They're a 3-buckle boot, a cabrio design. My previous boots were a 4 buckle Dalbello flex 110, and I find the Chakras much easier to get into. Still, I recommend treating yourself to a heated boot bag along with those new boots. It makes life so much easier.

Bowl

Certified Ski Diva
Reporting back on my new Chakra 95 boots. I agree with @VickiK that they are not stiff. I don't feel that I need to push them at all.
When I switch to my new boots, I do have thigh pains for the first couple days, and I found out the the forward lean angle is bit too much. After I took the regular spacer out, which reduce the forward lean by 2 degrees, I feel much better. I guess that because I am petite, and I'm used to an upright stance, I can't take too much forward lean.

Also took the advice to use thin socks. I am still in my nylon after 10+ days on my local hills. I think I am ready to move to a bit warmer socks. ( Minnesota winter is too cold). And advice on thin or ultra thin ski socks for small feet?

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Chiming in on socks...I haven't worn Darn Tough for skiing, but they are thin and durable in general.
DeFeet maks socks. Their ski socks wear like iron, are thin, but are expensive and hard to find. https://fanatykco.com/fanatykco-defeet-ski-socks/
Point6 ski socks are thin/medium-thin, are less expensive (at least compared to DeFeet, which might not be saying much) and easier to find in stores and online.
Bridgedale ski socks are good, come in lightweight and mid weights, and seem to be a lot less $$$. Like these, small size is available: https://www.amazon.com/Bridgedale-Womens-Lightweight-Ski-BlackBerry/dp/B07DX2C5QY/

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
FITS ultra ultra thin highly recommended by my bootfitter

marzNC

Angel Diva
Point6 ski socks are thin/medium-thin, are less expensive (at least compared to DeFeet, which might not be saying much) and easier to find in stores and online.
I've been using Point6 for quite a few years after learning the thinner socks were the better approach.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna