• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

changing boots from flex 40 to 95.

Bowl

Certified Ski Diva
I finally realized that I would need a new pair of boots! I got my first pair last season during an exchange when I decided that it was time to take ski seriously, went beyond "terminal pizza" and rentals. Because of my small foot, tennis shoe size 6, I got a pair of boots size of 23. I only recently found out that it is a pair of girl boots with a flex of 40. A pair of Dabello Chaka 95 is on its way to me. And I wonder if any one has the experience of switching from a really soft boots to a boot with flex of 95. What should I expect/feel after switch?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you wear a size 6 running shoe, then a 23 in a ski boot will be much too big. That’s the first thing that jumped out at me. Did you purchase these boots from a boot fitter/reputable ski shop, or did you buy them yourself online?

As for going from a recreational junior boot with a 40 flex, I think one of the first things you’ll notice is the cuff height. The junior boot will be shorter than the women’s.

alison wong

Angel Diva
If you wear a size 6 running shoe, then a 23 in a ski boot will be much too big. That’s the first thing that jumped out at me.
Agreed. My 1st impression too! But I hesitate to respond since I don't know much about gears.

I wear size 6 shoes (running / causal / dress shoes everything...), my ski boots are 22. (BSL is 266).
Actually I could go down to 21 per my boot fitter.

My first ski boots were size 23.5 (?), I called them "bucket" boots coz they were so big. I got rid of them after multiple people told me my boots are too big and affect my skiing (negatively).

For your ski boots with 95 flex, make sure you don't ever leave them out in the cold overnight. 95 is "harder" shell and cold temp "hardens" the shell. You might NOT be able to put them on next day, or it will take an Herculean effort to put them on.....

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I must agree with the others regarding the sizing. Ski boots are so very individual, that one should never assume street shoe size, or even sandals/boots which are usually a size or half size smaller, should be used as the measurement for a ski boot. I also wear a 6 running shoe. My boot shell is a 21. And I actually could wear a 20.5...if I could find one.

The flex issue will be noticeable. You have not mentioned your weight and height. These factors are quite important (along with skill level and preferred terrain ) when considering the flex of a boot.

newboots

Angel Diva
The smaller sizes are hard to find. There's a thread about that around here somewhere!

Be sure you get that snug fit with thin socks. It's counter-intuitive, but you'll be warmer and your boot will work better for you. Ski socks that come in light or ultra-light are the thin ones. I've read here to wear them with knee-high nylons for the first day, so there's even less sock, and the liner can begin to stretch and get broken in. Or was it the first few days?

In ice skates, many women wear those knee-high nylons for very fitted skates. Some women and many men go barefoot inside the skates! It's a bit stinky, but then, the rest of hockey gear is so stinky you won't notice.

Bowl

Certified Ski Diva
Regarding the flex, I am 5"1', 115. level advanced intermediate ( according to my instructor ;-)). I know 95 is bit too high, may be a 80 is meeting my level. However, I am dreaming big for next season.
I also has teaching from PMTS/Harald Harb, which is somewhat controversial, he recommend everyone gets the hardest boots.

Bowl

Certified Ski Diva
The smaller sizes are hard to find. There's a thread about that around here somewhere!

Be sure you get that snug fit with thin socks. It's counter-intuitive, but you'll be warmer and your boot will work better for you. Ski socks that come in light or ultra-light are the thin ones. I've read here to wear them with knee-high nylons for the first day, so there's even less sock, and the liner can begin to stretch and get broken in. Or was it the first few days?

In ice skates, many women wear those knee-high nylons for very fitted skates. Some women and many men go barefoot inside the skates! It's a bit stinky, but then, the rest of hockey gear is so stinky you won't notice.

Haha.......will take this advice to heart. Time to start wearing my nylon stockings.

alison wong

Angel Diva
I've read here to wear them with knee-high nylons for the first day,
Yes! I forgot to mention it. This was what my boot fitter told me to do when I got my current boots.
If you don't want to wear nylon stockings the 1st day, bring a pair in case you need it.

I did remember I wore nylon stockings on the 1st day.

Last edited:

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks all! I got a 22.5, which the boot fitter say is good. I can feel my toe touching the front, and it is so hard to squeeze my feet into a 22.5. however, it could be that 22.5 is the smallest they carry. :-)

When you are in your boots, press your shins into the tongues and bend your knees, and you should feel your toes move away from the fronts of the boots. This is close to where you want to be when you are skiing.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Agreed. My 1st impression too! But I hesitate to respond since I don't know much about gears.

I wear size 6 shoes (running / causal / dress shoes everything...), my ski boots are 22. (BSL is 266).
Actually I could go down to 21 per my boot fitter.

My first ski boots were size 23.5 (?), I called them "bucket" boots coz they were so big. I got rid of them after multiple people told me my boots are too big and affect my skiing (negatively).

For your ski boots with 95 flex, make sure you don't ever leave them out in the cold overnight. 95 is "harder" shell and cold temp "hardens" the shell. You might NOT be able to put them on next day, or it will take an Herculean effort to put them on.....
Same, same. Sz 6 street shoe, sz 22.5 ski boot. BSL 265 :smile:

My first ski boots were 23.5 and super wide. "Bucket" boots is right! Shockingly, I had like three other fitters tell me I was a 23, before I saw my current fitter who measured my feet and said emphatically "NO WAY" should I be in a 23! In fact I'd be able to squeeze into a 21 if I really wanted to.

Thanks all! I got a 22.5, which the boot fitter say is good. I can feel my toe touching the front, and it is so hard to squeeze my feet into a 22.5. however, it could be that 22.5 is the smallest they carry. :-)

Glad to hear you got a smaller size :smile: Feeling your toes lightly touch the ends when you're standing up straight is fine. They should pull away from the front when you flex into an athletic ski stance, with your heels properly seated in the heel pockets. Also the liners will pack out a little after a few ski days!

alison wong

Angel Diva
Found notes from my friend who is also a boot fitter:

"Ski local to break in the boots, The closest ski hill will work. Use thin socks, if you have old thick socks, don't use em. Bring a pair of knee high nylons to use if you get hot spots, take off your socks and use those instead.
If you do get a hot spot while skiing, go to the lodge pull your boots and socks off and take pictures of the location with your phone. This will help brian adjust the fit of your boots"

(Brian is my boot fitter).

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I feel like I read here also that you should bring a sharpie so you can mark your feet where they look red from the boots if you wear them and there are pressure points that aren’t the snug, uniform fit? Then your fitter will know exactly where the issues are...

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You'll probably be fine with the flex of the Chakras. I'm in an older pair of Chakras (2016) in an 85 flex, and I can flex them OK. At some point they increased the flex number from 85 to 95. They will definitely feel stiffer than your old boots, though. I'm a similar size at 5'1" and 100 lbs.

I'm a size 7, 7.5 in running shoes, and I'm also in the 22.5. Although the fit is a little too snug for me. We had to downsize me to a 22.5 to get the flex low enough where I could leverage the cuff better. Larger boot size = taller cuff.

Bowl

Certified Ski Diva
You'll probably be fine with the flex of the Chakras. I'm in an older pair of Chakras (2016) in an 85 flex, and I can flex them OK. At some point they increased the flex number from 85 to 95. They will definitely feel stiffer than your old boots, though. I'm a similar size at 5'1" and 100 lbs.

I'm a size 7, 7.5 in running shoes, and I'm also in the 22.5. Although the fit is a little too snug for me. We had to downsize me to a 22.5 to get the flex low enough where I could leverage the cuff better. Larger boot size = taller cuff.

Great to hear there are many diva with small feet. :-)
Yes, I did feel the cuff difference, much taller than my current girl boot. When I am tipping/rolled my ankle in the store, the outside cuff edge of the inside leg is putting pressure on my inside calve. This is a very strange feeling to me. I wish that there should be a petite version of the ski boots with a lower cuff.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Great to hear there are many diva with small feet. :-)
Yes, I did feel the cuff difference, much taller than my current girl boot. When I am tipping/rolled my ankle in the store, the outside cuff edge of the inside leg is putting pressure on my inside calve. This is a very strange feeling to me. I wish that there should be a petite version of the ski boots with a lower cuff.

I do wish they had more cuff height options. Flexing boots is always a struggle for me b/c my feet are large for my size and my shins must also apparently be short proportional to my overall leg length, so it's very easy for my lower legs to get encapsulated in plastic.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Isn't there a "short cuff" version? Asking because I don't know.

I have Lange 110 SC (SC -> short cuff). I have short legs, I was told to get boots w/ short cuffs.

There is in some boots but they're pretty limited, and at least on my shins, still not all that short. But it's more a me problem.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna