• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

chairlift grease removal?

oneluv2ski

Diva in Training
Hi Divas!

I was hoping my first post might be something more interesting... but I need your help!

Has anyone out there had the unfortunate experience of chairlift grease dripping down on your jacket? :eek: Were you able to get rid of the stain? I'm hoping yes... and that you'll share your cleaning trick with me!

Happened to me this afternoon, so the stain hasn't had much time to set... but I'm not sure what to do. Found a few ideas on the web about using dawn dish detergent or gojo cleaner and then washing in the machine in hot water... but I'm wondering if I should just take it to be professionaly cleaned.

all ideas welcome... many thanks!!

Jilly

Staff member
Not sure if this product is available in the states - Grime Eater. Made by Grime Eater - Mississauga, Ontario. I sent a jacket to the cleaners twice. They couldn't get the grease out. Asked a race mom, she suggested this stuff. Works great!! So, I spent $20.00 at the cleaners, no result. Then spent $5.00 at the grocery store and got the grease out!! Now on my second bottle.

oneluv2ski

Diva in Training
Sounds like your advice is based on experience... I'll take it! And will look for Grime Eater here in the US. Thanks, Jilly!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you can't find that, I've had reasonable success with rubbing in Spray-n-Wash Stain Stick then scrubbing in Shout Gel over top. Wash in warm if the directions allow. Then hang dry since it may take a 2nd treatment.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have never had any luck getting the grease out of clothing, but I can tell you a good story about coming back inbounds and noticing a little sticking going on in the lift line. Although I had a big glob of grease?? on the bottom of my board, it was brown and for about an hour we thought I had run over something else that's brown in the woods. Oh to be a fly on the wall as SO and I tried many failed attempts to remove that without touching before we realized what it was.

climber.girl1

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
we thought I had run over something else that's brown in the woods. Oh to be a fly on the wall as SO and I tried many failed attempts to remove that without touching before we realized what it was.

LOL! :ROTF:

You might also try this stuff called "Goo Gone" that takes grease and adhesives off of/out of most stuff. But I"d recommend trying it on a hem or under the arm or something first, just to make sure it doesn't stain your particular fabric! Good Luck!

Elangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have had really good luck using what ever technical wash product you have on hand---Nik Wax Tech wash or Gardiner tech wash.

I rub it on, full strength with a toothbrush and then wash in the machine---double rinse. The key is to get it out right away.

bettei

Certified Ski Diva
Something else that is good for clothing stains is of all things a spray on carpet cleaner called "Spot Shot". That stuff is really great, and I haven't found anything it won't take out yet. Grease, blood, you name it. I would test a spot first though.
You mentioned hand cleaners, and I have used those too, but I have had it take the color out too, so I would be careful with it.
Bette

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
I'm going to second the "Tech Wash" by Nikwax! I sat in ashes from a fire place in Tahoe about 10 yrs ago, in a yellow marker one piece suit!! I used a soft brush work in the "Tech wash", then washed it twice let it air dry,( may need to wash it again) don't want to set the stain by drying it in the dryer. Most ski wear should never be dried in the dryer anyway it's not good for the fabrics and the w/b coatings. The "Tech wash" works great!

oneluv2ski

Diva in Training
Many thanks for all the ideas, divas!

I couldn't find the Grime Eater that Jilly recommended... but I had Spray-n-Wash stain stick and Shout at home, so I tried Volklgirl's suggestion. It definitely lessened the stain, and might have come out with a second try, but I got frustrated and decided to bring it into the cleaners. They called me tonight and said my jacket looks like new... we'll see tomorrow!

For the future, I'll pick up some Nikwax Tech Wash or Spot Shot as suggested by others. I don't know how I avoided the chairlift grease in the past, but I'm sure it'll get me again!

thanks again to all for the helpful ideas!

Jilly

Staff member
I think I should buy cases of Grime Eater and sell it in the States. It great not just on grease but blood too. And when I got the grease off my jacket, it had been through 2 cleans at the pro's. I've gotten blood off stuff week later. Must be available somewhere else than Canada.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga