• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Can someone educate me about I-70 in Colorado.

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hope this is the correct thread to drop this question. I am thinking of flying into Denver and renting a car and staying in the Keystone/Silverthorne area. What are the roads like on I-70? I see from there I can get to Keystone, Vail and Breck (I am an Epic Pass person). Do they clear them easily/quickly during storms, are they salted well? Is it common to have to put on chains? (most rental car agencies do not have snow tires). I am used to driving in the Northeast. I have driven the pass from SLC to PC as well. I didn't want to plan this trip then find myself hanging out at the hotel because roads are difficult. Also, do people typically drive to these resorts and not take busses/shuttles in and is parking manageable? Thank you for information.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Local here. Keystone parking is manageable, Airport lot at Breck is free. Plan to pay around $40 a day at Vail. No shuttles to any of the resorts. On weekends get there early if you want parking. Friday is becoming a weekend. Traffic on I-70 is very heavy Friday afternoon-Sat. mornings.

For a car you need one that meets the traction control rules, eg. AWD, M+S tires 50% of the time coming into the mountains. Unless the forecast says no snow for the next 10 days you need traction control.

The roads to Breck and Keystone are doable during peak periods. CDOT has an employee shortage and the roads aren't maintained as well if it's snowing. To get to Silverthorne you have to drive through Eisenhower Tunnel. In bad weather, when Loveland Pass is closed Hazmat vehicles use the tunnel exclusively at the top of the hour so traffic will be delayed.

With traction control you have a better chance of making it over Vail Pass on a snowy day. I don't drive Vail Pass without traction control even on a clear day. For the least crowds on weekends go to Beaver Creek. It's about 10 mi beyond Vail. Parking is around $10 in the outer "free" lots.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Good info above; would like to add that I grew up and learned to drive in the Northeast as well, in heavy snow, etc, but driving I-70 from Denver to the ski resorts is scary as hell in the snow, especially going through Loveland Pass. It might not be closed, but it's very curvy and there's a lot of truck traffic, and the road is not particularly wide. Also, weekend traffic to the resorts is getting unmanageable, and when it's snowing you can sit there for hours. A 1-hr drive can take 3 hrs, in each direction (AM and PM). I have family in Denver, so have visited and skied there several times, but getting to the resorts is not fun.

Also, Denver Airport is a nightmare, and the rental car lot is huge. I try to avoid it as a destination.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Loveland Pass is a beautiful drive on a sunny day. Otherwise, unless you're going directly to A-Basin there is no reason to use Loveland Pass. Our routine (retired) is to drive up on Mon. afternoon before 3pm and return on Thurs. afternoon or Friday morning. We have had very few issues during the week. Even our Ohio friends arrive and depart midweek. Sunday afternoons headed west works if conditions are good. Forget going east, it's a zoo after 11 am.

Weather around the tunnel can be tricky. The roads can be dry but near the tunnel it can be snowing. 1 vehicle without proper traction control can mess up the whole drive. Often it can be snowing on the east side and dry on the west side of the tunnel. There are no curvy roads on I-70 just long uphills and downhills.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you stay at Keystone you won't have have as many amenities as staying in Silverthorne, Frisco or Dillon.
One drawback of skiing Vail on a snowy day is the possibility of accidents on I-70 in Officers Gulch. If that happens there is no way around it and traffic can back up for hours all the way to Frisco or Silverthorne. For you this doesn't affect going to Breck or Keystone.

March is crowded with Spring Breakers. We plan our ski days around the Front Range School districts. Specifically the largest, Jefferson County and Denver County Public schools.

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good info above; would like to add that I grew up and learned to drive in the Northeast as well, in heavy snow, etc, but driving I-70 from Denver to the ski resorts is scary as hell in the snow, especially going through Loveland Pass. It might not be closed, but it's very curvy and there's a lot of truck traffic, and the road is not particularly wide. Also, weekend traffic to the resorts is getting unmanageable, and when it's snowing you can sit there for hours. A 1-hr drive can take 3 hrs, in each direction (AM and PM). I have family in Denver, so have visited and skied there several times, but getting to the resorts is not fun.

Also, Denver Airport is a nightmare, and the rental car lot is huge. I try to avoid it as a destination.
I plan to stay close by Keystone/Breck, not in Denver, like in Silverthorne areas or so— Are you saying those short rides to Keystone and Breck (looks like roads 6 and 9) (looks like about 10 miles and 14 miles) can be backed up for hours?

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I plan to stay close by Keystone/Breck, not in Denver, like in Silverthorne areas or so— Are you saying those short rides to Keystone and Breck (looks like roads 6 and 9) (looks like about 10 miles and 14 miles) can be backed up for hours?
As @Little Lightning mentioned, if there's an accident, which is common in heavy snow, yes. The traffic gets heavier as you get closer to the resorts, but it's definitely not as bad when the weather is clear.

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Local here. Keystone parking is manageable, Airport lot at Breck is free. Plan to pay around $40 a day at Vail. No shuttles to any of the resorts. On weekends get there early if you want parking. Friday is becoming a weekend. Traffic on I-70 is very heavy Friday afternoon-Sat. mornings.

For a car you need one that meets the traction control rules, eg. AWD, M+S tires 50% of the time coming into the mountains. Unless the forecast says no snow for the next 10 days you need traction control.

The roads to Breck and Keystone are doable during peak periods. CDOT has an employee shortage and the roads aren't maintained as well if it's snowing. To get to Silverthorne you have to drive through Eisenhower Tunnel. In bad weather, when Loveland Pass is closed Hazmat vehicles use the tunnel exclusively at the top of the hour so traffic will be delayed.

With traction control you have a better chance of making it over Vail Pass on a snowy day. I don't drive Vail Pass without traction control even on a clear day. For the least crowds on weekends go to Beaver Creek. It's about 10 mi beyond Vail. Parking is around $10 in the outer "free" lots.
Thank you so much for all this info.

After reading your reply, I reflected on the fact I do not need to go to Vail or drive through that Pass, first I am by myself and second, there's no need to run around to every mountain. I also found this terrific guy on YT (link below) that convinced me skiing at Keystone for a few days, then maybe Breck for one day maybe two) may be just perfect for me (Advancing intermediate, I have skied one very easy black diamond back east before, really just looking to get off of the ice this season and have mellow time on groomers, and I for sure want to start off on mellow greens as my first experience out in Colorado).

When I look at the Breck map it is overwhelming (give me a smaller, quieter ski area over big resort any day of the week). I read a bunch of posts online that say Breck's greens/blues are less slopey than Keystone, but after seeing this video, I feel like Keystone feels way more manageable. Do you have an opinion on 1) crowds, and 2) ease of greens/blues at Keystone vs Breck? 3) Also, as I asked someone else here-- do these roads (looks like "6" and "9") from Silverthorne get plowed and are they manageable? If I stay in the Silverthorne area, seems Keystone and Breck are quite close. (If there turns out to be a bluebird day, I might get the gumption to go to Beaver Creek which if I were with someone would be the choice spot out of all of them. I don't think I need the energy or crowds of Vail.). Thanks again-- and for anyone interested, Here's his beginner guide of Keystone and he has an intermediate - -a great guide

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Unless there is a truly all-time weather event, you won't be backed up for hours getting from Silverthorne / Dillon / Frisco to Keystone or Breck. If it's a powder day (even midweek) or a nice weekend, traffic can be heavy, but not intolerable. You do want to arrive early (or after noon) on weekends and powder days if you want guaranteed parking - the lots tend to fill up between maybe 10 and noonish on big days.

Taking the Summit Stage (free bus) avoids that, but the routes aren't that convenient. If you stay in Summit Cove, there's an hourly bus that goes direct to both Keystone and Breck and it's really nice experience to roll in at peak times and not worry about parking.

Silverthorne / Dillon / Frisco to Vail and Beaver Creek can be quite slow (an extra 45 min+?) on big weekends and powder days because Copper is on the way and the off-ramp for Copper gets very backed up while everyone is trying to park. That's new this winter, really, and it kind of sucks.

The drive up from Denver to Summit County can be a multi-hour ordeal in weather or at peak times, yes. Not sure there's a good way around that, sadly, beyond being flexible.

ANYWAYS, if you're staying in Summit County, and you have an Epic Pass and don't mind being flexible, you'll be fine. Check Google maps in the morning and see what the roads look like and decide where you want to go, or take the bus. Midweek you really don't have to worry much about any of this (usually :smile:).

We have a condo in Summit Cove and I ski Keystone and A-Basin (mostly on weekends) all winter and this is my experience.

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As @Little Lightning mentioned, if there's an accident, which is common in heavy snow, yes. The traffic gets heavier as you get closer to the resorts, but it's definitely not as bad when the weather is clear.
Thank you. For me, In heavy snow I would probably just not go anyway and have a day at the hotel watching the snow. I'm not a powder person to begin with. I also see busses that run from Silverthorne to Keystone and I am looking to see if there is parking as that would make it so easy and I can leave my skis/boots in a locker at Keystone. Appreciate you took time to help answer.

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Unless there is a truly all-time weather event, you won't be backed up for hours getting from Silverthorne / Dillon / Frisco to Keystone or Breck. If it's a powder day (even midweek) or a nice weekend, traffic can be heavy, but not intolerable. You do want to arrive early (or after noon) on weekends and powder days if you want guaranteed parking - the lots tend to fill up between maybe 10 and noonish on big days.

Taking the Summit Stage (free bus) avoids that, but the routes aren't that convenient. If you stay in Summit Cove, there's an hourly bus that goes direct to both Keystone and Breck and it's really nice experience to roll in at peak times and not worry about parking.

Silverthorne / Dillon / Frisco to Vail and Beaver Creek can be quite slow (an extra 45 min+?) on big weekends and powder days because Copper is on the way and the off-ramp for Copper gets very backed up while everyone is trying to park. That's new this winter, really, and it kind of sucks.

The drive up from Denver to Summit County can be a multi-hour ordeal in weather or at peak times, yes. Not sure there's a good way around that, sadly, beyond being flexible.

ANYWAYS, if you're staying in Summit County, and you have an Epic Pass and don't mind being flexible, you'll be fine. Check Google maps in the morning and see what the roads look like and decide where you want to go, or take the bus. Midweek you really don't have to worry much about any of this (usually :smile:).

We have a condo in Summit Cove and I ski Keystone and A-Basin (mostly on weekends) all winter and this is my experience.
Wow this is super helpful. This is a new area for my to explore so I am grateful for your and everyone's sharing. I see there's a bus from Silverthorne to Keystone so I am looking now to see if this means there's a parking lot in Silverthorne as I agree the bus idea makes this easy.....-- Actually I just googled it's "Lake Dillon Fire & Rescue to Keystone Lodge" and takes 11 minutes. And now I just spoke with someone nice at Summit County and they gave me a # to call to find out about buses directly from Silvethorne and to find out about parking. So I am on it, thank you all.!!

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Paging @Ski Sine Fine for comments about greens at Breck.
Thanks @marzNC . @SkiSineFine I am exploring breck/keystone for the first time and looking for the best progression at Breck, starting on greens and working my way up through mellow blues. I find the map overwhelming :smile: Of course would prefer least traffic areas, but any information is helpful. I am going I think to start at Keystone for two or three days then go to Breck for one day, maybe two.

Christy

Angel Diva
(If there turns out to be a bluebird day, I might get the gumption to go to Beaver Creek which if I were with someone would be the choice spot out of all of them.
Why not just make BC your destination? If it's your top choice, and it does seem to fit all the other things you want (like mellow terrain)...you can stay in Avon and take the free bus.

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Why not just make BC your destination? If it's your top choice, and it does seem to fit all the other things you want (like mellow terrain)...you can stay in Avon and take the free bus.
I will look into that and Avon. It just feels further away—And longer of a drive over the pass that sort of thing. If I were with someone it would make more sense for more days. Plus Keystone feels friendly and small enough worth exploring and easy to get to both Keystone/Breck. But I will look into what you suggest. Thanks.

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
Not sure when you’re planning to go. Saturdays at Breck is a non-starter. I usually go mid-week to mid-week and skip Saturday. If all peaks at Breck are open, I prefer Breck over Keystone.

I’m a cautious intermediate, groomed greens and easy blues only. The greens at Breck are real trails, not glorified cat tracks. Peak 9 is for easy greens and easy blues. The Quicksilver lift can get backed up but you can lap the Mercury chair from top to mid-mountain for easy blues.

Peak 8 is for slightly more difficult greens and blues. The terrain can get chopped up earlier than Peak 9 and there are faster skiers on the blues on Peak 8. Peak 7 is blues only with more rollers. There are other peaks but, frankly, I haven’t skied all the blues at 7,8,9 so haven’t ventured out to 6 or 10. When most of the mountain is open, you can skied from Peak 7 to 8 to 9 all on green/blue runs, then take the Peak 8 Superconnect back to 8.

If you stay some place close to the Summit Stage bus stops, you can take that to Breck, Keystone, and Copper. I usually stay in Breck and take the condo shuttle or the town bus to the base areas. Back in 2020, I stayed in Breck and took the Summit Stage and skied Keystone and Copper.

I no longer drive between Denver airport and Breck. I-70 is a nightmare under weather. I take the Epic Mountain Shuttle or Peak 1 Shuttle door to door. They drop off at Frisco, Silverthorne, and Breck (maybe Keystone too?). At least twice in the past 2 years it was snowing on my departure date, I-70 was a mess, but the shuttle got me back to Denver airport on time.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We used to drive to Keystone from Silverthorne alot. The roads are fairly flat and kept in good shape. Rarely hear of accidents or closures The roads are 4 lane, State and Federal Highways. They are the lifeline to the ski areas. Breck is a town so they depend on clear highways. We often ride the bike trails along the highways because there isn’t much climbing.

Can’t offer much information on lockers or drop off at Keystone. We’re thinking you get dropped off at the edge of River Run and to get to the lockers you have to walk through the mall. We used to find free parking at Mountain House. It’s been a few years since we’ve skied there so we don’t know what the parking situation is. Mountain House is easier to get to the lift and facilities. There is free parking at River Run and during the week we’ve not had issues parking there. However, it is a long walk to the lift. There isn’t much to explore at Keystone, a few shops, bars and restaurants. We stayed there once and found limiting access to shopping, grocery stores, etc. Same for Summit Cove 1 bar/restaurant. If you stay in either of those areas you will have to drive or bus to Silverthorne/Dillon for necessities.

Silverthorne has a new entertainment district, an outlet mall, theater and a walking/bike trail along the river and a rec center. Across the interstate in Dillon is a grocery store, a couple of ski shops, REi, Sierra Outfitters, movie theater as well as other shops. Breck and Frisco are small towns with more hustle and bustle but lots to explore in either town.

I’m not sure about Avon but it will be a much longer drive from Summit County and you have to drive over Vail Pass

Last edited:

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not sure when you’re planning to go. Saturdays at Breck is a non-starter. I usually go mid-week to mid-week and skip Saturday. If all peaks at Breck are open, I prefer Breck over Keystone.

I’m a cautious intermediate, groomed greens and easy blues only. The greens at Breck are real trails, not glorified cat tracks. Peak 9 is for easy greens and easy blues. The Quicksilver lift can get backed up but you can lap the Mercury chair from top to mid-mountain for easy blues.

Peak 8 is for slightly more difficult greens and blues. The terrain can get chopped up earlier than Peak 9 and there are faster skiers on the blues on Peak 8. Peak 7 is blues only with more rollers. There are other peaks but, frankly, I haven’t skied all the blues at 7,8,9 so haven’t ventured out to 6 or 10. When most of the mountain is open, you can skied from Peak 7 to 8 to 9 all on green/blue runs, then take the Peak 8 Superconnect back to 8.

If you stay some place close to the Summit Stage bus stops, you can take that to Breck, Keystone, and Copper. I usually stay in Breck and take the condo shuttle or the town bus to the base areas. Back in 2020, I stayed in Breck and took the Summit Stage and skied Keystone and Copper.

I no longer drive between Denver airport and Breck. I-70 is a nightmare under weather. I take the Epic Mountain Shuttle or Peak 1 Shuttle door to door. They drop off at Frisco, Silverthorne, and Breck (maybe Keystone too?). At least twice in the past 2 years it was snowing on my departure date, I-70 was a mess, but the shuttle got me back to Denver airport on time.
This is super helpful. Thank you. I agree on shuttles being easier. For me (not telling anyone else how to be), public transportation for any period of time one of the main, if not most main, situations I avoid because of the "C" and hence being in a (even small) shuttle for that long from Denver, I'd drive instead— And I can always play by ear, cancel rental car if need be. I have already planned in my head not to travel on 1-70 if, there was any weather anyway, and just delay my time in Denver until it clears. Is Schoolmarm a glorified cat track? I watched videos on YT and it seemed sweet to me, more width than some trails here on the east coast, and I understand not as wide as others—I will look forward to check out your suggestions at Breck. Again, thanks!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Peak 9 was my favorite when I 1st went to Breck. I remember lapping the Mercury chair and spent most of my time on those runs. Keystone doesn't have many Blue/Green runs. That section of River Run in the video is pretty steep and can get pretty fast and icy. Another reason we skied out of mountain house.

Schoolmarm is nice and wide but it’s the main route from the mid mountain restaurant to the snowboard park, which is on skiers left so you will encounter more snowboarders buzzing you. The views of Lake Dillon from the top of Schoolmarm are awesome. You can't see it in the video but across the lake you can see my condo building. If you’re comfortable on Peak 8 my thought is you’ll do OK at Keystone.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good plan to watch the weather. Wind has been howling here all afternoon. Traction laws have been out all day. I can see sections of I-70 from my condo and it doesn't look like the lights coming down the pass are moving very fast. I can't see any taillights so I'm thinking east bound is closed.

The traffic source we use is COTRIP.org.

I agree with you about the "C". We caught it and we rarely go anywhere.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna