• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Can someone educate me about I-70 in Colorado.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good plan to watch the weather. Wind has been howling here all afternoon. Traction laws have been out all day. I can see sections of I-70 from my condo and it doesn't look like the lights coming down the pass are moving very fast. I can't see any taillights so I'm thinking east bound is closed.

The traffic source we use is COTRIP.org.

I agree with you about the "C". We caught it and we rarely go anywhere.
I just looked at COTRIP.org. There is video showing road conditions and where the snowplows are. There were 2 snowplows coming down holding up traffic.

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Peak 9 was my favorite when I 1st went to Breck. I remember lapping the Mercury chair and spent most of my time on those runs. Keystone doesn't have many Blue/Green runs. That section of River Run in the video is pretty steep and can get pretty fast and icy. Another reason we skied out of mountain house.

Schoolmarm is nice and wide but it’s the main route from the mid mountain restaurant to the snowboard park, which is on skiers left so you will encounter more snowboarders buzzing you. The views of Lake Dillon from the top of Schoolmarm are awesome. You can't see it in the video but across the lake you can see my condo building. If you’re comfortable on Peak 8 my thought is you’ll do OK at Keystone.
Thanks for this added info, as well. Re: fast and especially icy—sounds like what we have been skiing on this season back east :smile: The other day I was on a run I was shocked there were no icy warning signs out. Slick/slippery surface practically top to bottom. Never quite seen/skied on a surface like that for so much of the run. Blue ice has been out this year too. But, of course we find the best snow where we can and there have been great days and it all builds grit. AND snow coming tonight :smile: I do take your advice to watch out for that section on River Run. I did like that that guy was an instructor there and leads viewers on the progression he would teach them. I also like the suggestion to go up Peru to start instead of all 3.5 miles. I am used to shorter runs. I will look for trail/guide videos out of the mountain house side. My plan is to stay in Denver for a night to acclimate to the altitude a bit. Appreciate the link to the traffic site— and for all the guidance here (to everyone as well)!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I stayed in Dillon on the reservoir "the lodge at lake Dillon', Nice condos, indoor hot tub, sauna, coin laundry we could walk or drive to Arapahoe Cafe & pub, the City Market was at the end of the street- (dillon dam rd) so we didn't have to go on I70 to get to shopping.

We skied Copper, no problem parking, Breck- got there early booted up at the car- going home took over 2hrs to go 11miles I70 was a parking lot! Keystone there was a bus stop right by the condo- We took the bus since I70 was again a parking lot- buses can go flying by on the edge of the highway! We met a nice lady at the bus stop, she took us under her wing.. We got off the city bus in keystone, was a really quick ride, then got on a keystone internal bus and took that to mountain house lodge (very small) by the Peruvian lift- they had laundry basket bag check- and was a great starting point. since I70 was all jammed up we had the Mt to our selves for a few hours, we enjoyed fresh tracks all over the place. I love the outback portion of Keystone although it's mostly black trails.

I think keystone is steeper than Breck. The Breck trails are wider and much more tame than Keystone. I thought Breck was easy to get around so I don't think you should worry about that. And people were very friendly at all the Mts we skied.

Also Don't forget Loveland is on the Denver side of the tunnel :-) so you could ski there if the tunnel is closed. And another cool area is Ski Cooper it is where the 10th mt Division trained is an awesome Mt! $30 on thursdays close to Leadville- Have fun!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If Eisenhower Tunnel is closed do not try to get to Loveland. You will be sitting in traffic for hours.

We have sat in traffic going down the hill into Silverthorne/Dillon when I-70 to the tunnel is closed. The advantage we have is there is a back way by the outlet malls into Silverthorne so we avoid the congestion that occurs trying to get into Silverthorne/Dillon.

When I said "icy" I meant hard pack. We don't get the freezing/thawing cycles that you get in the east. Vail Resorts does a lot of grooming so that affects the quality of their runs. This winter has been very cold so the snow is holding up well.

Christy

Angel Diva
You know you can fly to Eagle/Vail, right? And you can do without a car that way too. Probably not the most budget friendly way to go, I know.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You know you can fly to Eagle/Vail, right? And you can do without a car that way too. Probably not the most budget friendly way to go, I know.
I'm not saying Eagle/Vail won't work but airfare, lodging and rental cars are most likely more expensive. If you don't want to ski Vail, Beaver Creek is your only option. To get to Breck/Keystone, or stay in Summit Cty, you'd have to drive over Vail Pass which is a longer, steeper drive than driving up to the tunnel. On the plus side, BC will be less crowded than Breck/Keystone.

Christy

Angel Diva
I mention it because previously she'd said Beaver Creek was her top choice but she was leery of the longer drive from Denver.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another thought. If you stay in Dillon your best route to Breck is Dillon Dam road or Swan Mountain Road at Summit Cove. If the weather is bad the Dam road is most likely closed but it's rare for Swan Mountain Road to be closed because it's a school bus route.

tartegnin

Certified Ski Diva
Putting in a vote for BC and flying into Eagle. Just returned from a solo trip - advanced intermediate like you and am madly in love with the place. Amazing greens and blues groomed so you feel like a star and perfect for running drills and a couple of nice groomed blacks for days you’re feeling extra good. Easy shiluttlr ride from Eagle, less crowded than Vail, avoids unpredictable and long drive from Denver. And, you really won’t need the car once you’re there. My star cost saving advice is to pack a loaf of bread and jar of peanut butter to avoid crazy prices on the mountain. A daily sandwich and flat pack water bottle kept me going no problem! If I’d managed a bunch of bananas to add to my sandwich that would really have been heaven.

JayZeeSquared

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for this added info, as well. Re: fast and especially icy—sounds like what we have been skiing on this season back east :smile: The other day I was on a run I was shocked there were no icy warning signs out. Slick/slippery surface practically top to bottom. Never quite seen/skied on a surface like that for so much of the run. Blue ice has been out this year too. But, of course we find the best snow where we can and there have been great days and it all builds grit. AND snow coming tonight :smile: I do take your advice to watch out for that section on River Run. I did like that that guy was an instructor there and leads viewers on the progression he would teach them. I also like the suggestion to go up Peru to start instead of all 3.5 miles. I am used to shorter runs. I will look for trail/guide videos out of the mountain house side. My plan is to stay in Denver for a night to acclimate to the altitude a bit. Appreciate the link to the traffic site— and for all the guidance here (to everyone as well)!
If you prefer shorter runs, then you'll like Breck! I love Keystone for their long runs, doesn't feel like I'm always riding a chairlift lol. Breck greens/blues are not as steep as Keystone's.
I went to Beaver Creek for the first time this week and it was awesome! Nice long runs and never waited in line, just ski up to the lift and hop on. The views are amazing. Definitely worth it to drive out there to check it out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly