• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Boot Fit Issue

toughgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I went to a raved about boot fitter for my first ski boot purchase. I spent hours there w/my friends who were also purchasing. They did measurements, looked at my arches, even gave me orthodics. I have a tendency to doubt my ability and called myself a beginner. So i didn't realize until after I purchased the boots they were bottom basic beginner Technica womens boots (M4 Attiva). I told the fitter at the store that my calf was cramping. His reaction was, i'm out of shape and don't have ski legs yet. However, I've rented and never had cramps like that.

So anyways I thought he was right and have now tried to ski for 2 seasons in these boots. As soon as they go on, my calves go into spasms. I have stretched too (a little bit). I also find that i'm skiing a bit more aggressive then my beginner description. Another issue w/the boots is I find that my feet can't transfer the power I need to carve the ski in turns. I feel as if i'm fighting the boot... I love my skis (K2 one luvs) though.

SO now i'm thinking of trashing these and just going to buy boots w/out a boot fitter. Any suggestions or feedback would be great. I just don't feel like anyone ever listens and just writes me off as a whiny girl.:confused:

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Really.....do not do this without a fitter.

Make an appointment and go without friends or SO. Be honest and forceful about your weight, fitness level, ability level and aspirations. If you feel they are discounting you, b*tch to the manager, repeatedly if necessary. Hang out in your possible purchase for a minimum of 20+ minutes. Complain loudly if anything hurts during that time and make sure it's addressed right then. Be prepared to go back for adjustments and refits at least 2 more times. Calf cramps can be easily addressed in a variety of ways, depending on how the rest of the boot fits (removal of a spoiler or heel lifts are possible options here). Almost all shops offer a fit guarantee with their work,....if you ski them and are not happy take them back.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
First, welcome to the boards!
Have you gone back to the boot fitter for adjustments at all? Very few boot purchases will be perfect on first run out. I bought new custom liners, orthotics and shells in December and have been back in at least 3 times for adjustments with at least 1 more trip in in the near future. One of those adjustments took a spoiler out of the calf area of the boot so that part now feels GREAT! I can't find pics of your boot model from two years ago but the current one looks like it might have this spoiler.

How many days per season are you skiing? It may be that you've just progressed beyond the capabilities of this boot. I bought boots 2 years ago that I had to replace this season for 2 reasons. They were a full size too big and they just didn't match my abilities any more. I had been skiing maybe once a year when I bought those and now that I'm back in Colorado I'm at over 30 days per year now and they just couldn't hold up to that.

If you do decide to buy new boots, please do go to a boot fitter. If you don't trust that one then find a different one. Remember, part of this is your communication with them and since you told them you were a beginner that's what they fit you in.

toughgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks you guys... I guess i will go back to the boot fitter, it's just they are about 2 1/2 hours away. I also think I doubted my ability and may have out grown the boot in technique.

The place I went to is supposed to be amazing fitters, so I guess i'll give them another shot but more vocal about the fit and my ability. I'm not a green trail skier anymore.

SueNJ

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good advice from volklgirl--ski boots are not something you should buy without being fitted by a competent and attentive bootfitter. If your calves were cramping when you had the boots on at the store, the bootfitter should have done something then and there. The boots should fit snug, but should not make your calves cramp up, and that's regardless of your skiing ability or fitness level.

Aside from being fitted properly, a reputable bootfitter/shop will encourage you to bring the boots back for fine-tuning after you've skied with them once or twice. Sometimes it's just a matter of making a simple adjustment to the boot shell. You wouldn't have that benefit if you bought boots online or somewhere that didn't have a bootfitter. If you speak with one person who doesn't seem to be taking you seriously, walk away! There's nothing wrong with saying that you're a beginner/intermediate who wants to improve, and that you want a boot that will not limit your progress. You absolutely should be taken seriously!

toughgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Do you guys know of a good boot fitter in NJ, so I'm not traveling 2-3 hours. That way I can go back multiple times if I have issues. I noticed Ski Barn is listed as an America's Best Bootfitter and they are only 1/2 hour away.

SueNJ

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Where in NJ are you? If you're near the Morris Plains/Denville area, I highly recommend Pelican Ski Shop--but only deal with Ray Bush for bootfitting. Mention your first bootfitting experience, and I'm sure he'll go the extra mile for you.

Keep in mind that not every salesperson in a ski shop who happens to be working in the boot department may be an expert at bootfitting. It's definitely helpful if you have the name of someone who is the resident expert bootfitter in the shop you go to.

toughgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm in Ocean County, but my husband bought his ski helmet from the Pelican ski shop you spoke of. I'm kinda leaning towards finding a good local place.

I don't mind the drive up to Pelican vs going back out to Pennsylvania

Shellski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As someone else touched on, bootfitting reputation rests on the bootfitter - not necessarily the whole shop/staff. Get a name, and make an appointment only with that person. If you went into a ski shop (even one with a good reputation) and ummed and ahhed, and said you were a beginner, you can't really blame them for not giving you a few hours of their top fitters time.

Be forthright about what you want, do some research so you sound a little bit knowledgeable. Don't drastically overstate your ability, but the worst thing you can do is talk yourself down, even the best ski shops are still sometimes guilty of 'underselling' women, so we owe it to ourselves to go in prepared and ask for what we want.

marta

Angel Diva
Hi - Here are some great bootfitters in NJ:
Greg at Heino's on Rte 23 in Pequannock
Tom or Willy at Ski Barn on Rte 17 in Paramus

I've been working with Tom for years. He did serious magic to my boots. All these guys have great reputations.
Let us know how it goes!

smpayne

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The last time I was at the bootfitter, I listened to him talking to a couple of other people (guys) before he was able to wait on me. I noticed that he automatically downplayed everyones ability. If you wanted the more expensive, stiffer boots, you had to convince him why they would work better for you.

Ask someone else to give you an opinion on your skiing ability, an instructor maybe. I remember downplaying my ability until someone laughed at me when I said I was an intermediate. In general, men tend to over inflate thier ability while women downplay theirs a bit. The guys in the shop may compensate, by assuming everyone inflates thier ability.

***DITTO what Volklgirl said.****

toughgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm going saturday to Pelican ski to see that Ray guy. This time around I think I can voice what I want and need. We are then going over to camelback for a quick day/night trip.

I realize now that i'm not a beginner, but that I doubt myself. I'm going to try and get a good intermediate boot that I can grow with as I get more confident. Something to fit my K2 one luvs :smile:. thanks again.:snow:

alaski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's so hard to even find a good bootfitter. You pretty much have to just give them a try (which usually involves spending lots of money) and hope for the best. I've been to so many boot fitters and am still frustrated with the process. I don't have many options where I live so I keep trying to find a good one in my travels - but then I'm stuck traveling really far (as in, plane ride far) to get a good boot fit.

I'm quite annoyed already by the raved-about local fitter who jacked up my Intuition liners. Twice. Grrr.

Edited to add: no matter what the boot fitter says, NEVER leave the shop if your boots hurt. If it comes to walking out without buying the boots or paying for the fitting, do it. If they hurt in the shop, they will be debilitating on the hill.

toughgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
All Fixed

Just to give you girls an update. I went to Pelican Ski and saw Ray Bush as SueNJ recommended. I just want to say it was a wonderful experience. He actually would finish my sentences w/my complaints on the other boot. Turns out I have alot of flex already in my ankle and was over flexed in those other boots and they were way way way too beginner boots.

I got the Dalbello Electra 8 and WOW what a difference. We went over to Camelback in Poconos for the day and I skied for 4 hours straight. Loved it, so much better. I don't feel like a whimpy skier anymore. Thanks for all the support and feedback. :yahoo: :ski2:

lovebug

Certified Ski Diva
Amazingly similar story. I was in Technica Modo 8s that were a size to big and WAY too soft! I was slopping all over the place. Also, the technicas gave me the worst calf cramp in my left leg. Lift rides were excruciating!! Funny to hear the same experience :D I just upgraded to solomon rush 8s. I just posted a first review of my new boots in "Update of the Century". Enjoy the new boots!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga