• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Blizzard Phoenix R14

newboots

Angel Diva
After my adventure in suddenly finding myself carving, I've begun to consider adding to my one-ski quiver (BP 82s). The Phoenix S R 13 Ti has caught my eye. It's a little advanced for me, probably, but I expect I can work my way into it. The Dynastar Glorys that started this adventure were 153 cm, with a pretty radical side cut, 69 at the waist. And steel inside! Mr. Blizzard, who gave them to me, said they are probably from 2012!

Thus, I am thinking I can handle a ski with metal in it, a ski that might be a bit heavy, and a ski with much more torsional stiffness than I'm accustomed to. I do think skiing on a real mountain will be different than going down the same "trail" repeatedly at Big Snow, but as I said, I think I can grow into them.

I'm so excited to ski this winter! :ski:

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After my adventure in suddenly finding myself carving, I've begun to consider adding to my one-ski quiver (BP 82s). The Phoenix S R 13 Ti has caught my eye. It's a little advanced for me, probably, but I expect I can work my way into it. The Dynastar Glorys that started this adventure were 153 cm, with a pretty radical side cut, 69 at the waist. And steel inside! Mr. Blizzard, who gave them to me, said they are probably from 2012!

Thus, I am thinking I can handle a ski with metal in it, a ski that might be a bit heavy, and a ski with much more torsional stiffness than I'm accustomed to. I do think skiing on a real mountain will be different than going down the same "trail" repeatedly at Big Snow, but as I said, I think I can grow into them.

I know I'm a perennial gear enabler, but.... Do it!!!

I've actually really enjoyed having a skinny ski with a couple of layers of metal in it. I am convinced that the metal helps it smooth out inconsistencies in groomers well, and probably because it's skinny with a tight sidecut, it's not super challenging to turn. These sort of skinny carving skis definitely have a slightly more punishing tail if you get backseat, just because they don't tend to have much/any taper at the tail, but the whole idea is to improve skiing skills anyway :smile: (I still can't carve but it's on the to-learn list..... and I know that I have the skis to do it, so it's all down to me now :rotf: )

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Those skis look great as well! I think the R14 might be a little advanced for myself, but like you, I want something that I won't outgrow.

I am also incredibly excited to ski!!! Counting down the days!!

newboots

Angel Diva
Those skis look great as well! I think the R14 might be a little advanced for myself, but like you, I want something that I won't outgrow.

I am also incredibly excited to ski!!! Counting down the days!!

I'm actually looking at the Phoenix S R13 Ti.
(This took me hours to figure out, and searching for it without knowing about the S was completely worthless.)

I don't know what S stands for, but it distinguishes this one from the other Phoenixes. And the Ti, of course, is titanal. So it's a step down from the 14, which does appear to be really aimed toward advanced and experts. The range for the S R 13 Ti was from intermediate to expert.

I was checking out other brands, too, but Mr. Blizzard wants to help me get this cheaply (he ignores the fact that I now work in a shop with perks, and insists that his price will be cheaper). And of course, nothing but a Blizzard will do!

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm actually looking at the Phoenix S R13 Ti.
(This took me hours to figure out, and searching for it without knowing about the S was completely worthless.)

I don't know what S stands for, but it distinguishes this one from the other Phoenixes. And the Ti, of course, is titanal. So it's a step down from the 14, which does appear to be really aimed toward advanced and experts. The range for the S R 13 Ti was from intermediate to expert.

I was checking out other brands, too, but Mr. Blizzard wants to help me get this cheaply (he ignores the fact that I now work in a shop with perks, and insists that his price will be cheaper). And of course, nothing but a Blizzard will do!
I was looking at the Thunderbird Sport Ti which seems like it's the men's/unisex version of the Phoenix S R13 Ti.

This ski also comes in a lot of different lengths (including short!) so also something to look into for those that are looking for this sort of ski. :smile:

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wondering if anybody here has skied the Atomic Cloud 12 or the Fischer RC One 78?

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wondering if anybody here has skied the Atomic Cloud 12 or the Fischer RC One 78?
I have a couple of friends who are on the Fischer RC One 78's and they love them. Sorry I cant be more specific as I havent skied them myself and havent quizzed them on performance but they are both really happy with them x

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've skied the Fischer RC One 78, about a month ago - I skied it in 157 and I'm 160cm/115lb. I liked it! I haven't had a chance to demo the narrow atomic skis this season but I've heard good things.

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Update: So I just stopped by a tent sale at a ski shop I happened to be driving past. Figured I'd stop and see what they have (you never know!). Ended up get a 2020 Atomic Redster X9 WB in a 152 :becky:. After talking with one of the sales guys it seemed like a good option for me for a higher performance carving ski. It only has 1 sheet of metal (instead of 2) and the wider body (it's 75mm underfoot) makes it less twitchy than something narrower. It's honestly probably more ski than I will ever need but I should be able to manage it a lot easier than some of the less forgiving options out there! Cannot wait to get out there this winter!!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes I've had the Cloud 10, 11, 12's Yes they are a race ski. not much of a 'sweet' spot- you're on them or not. they don't like to skid, they love to be on edge and go mach 3 in a jiffy- I sold mine to a young racer last winter.

VTsnowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Was just in the ski shop this afternoon, and had a recommendation for the Phoenix R14, so I'm happy to see it being discussed here. It was suggested as a replacement carver for my aging Fischer Curvs. I read some reviews just now; it seems to be a rather demanding ski that has serious rewards. I plan to demo when we get some snow (Okemo). The other two skis I'm thinking about, more all mountain and wider underfoot, are the Volkl Kenja 88 and the Salomon Stance W88. Anyone have thoughts about these?

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the Head Super Joy (75) that I bought used. Fun ski. I'm glad to see that folks are using narrower skis. I've developed knee pain (age 62) that I'm working on. We'll see what happens when I finally get on the hill this year.

I wonder how the Phoenix R14 will compare to the Stokli Laser SC (72).

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the Fischer My Curv, 68mm. It's solid (stable) and damp. I would not say it's hard to ski, and I'm on a length that's longer than recommended for my height. Two sheets of titanal and minimal rocker in the tip. Mine came with a system binding. Highly recommend if you're looking for a carver.

2019 Fischer My Curv Specs:​

Dimensions:121/68/102
Radius:12m@157cm
Rocker:All Mountain Rocker
Ability Level:
Ability Level 8
Construction:Full Sidewall

I believe @nopoleskier loved her Atomic Clouds for carvers. Maybe she'll comment here. But Atomic is still making the Cloud line for this season, maybe you can compare their reviews and stats to the Blizzards.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Was just in the ski shop this afternoon, and had a recommendation for the Phoenix R14, so I'm happy to see it being discussed here. It was suggested as a replacement carver for my aging Fischer Curvs. I read some reviews just now; it seems to be a rather demanding ski that has serious rewards. I plan to demo when we get some snow (Okemo). The other two skis I'm thinking about, more all mountain and wider underfoot, are the Volkl Kenja 88 and the Salomon Stance W88. Anyone have thoughts about these?
I think it depends what you actually ski the most of - all mountain skis are more difficult to get on edge than carving skis, but of course have the advantage of being all-mountain and therefore better for any variations in where you are skiing. I think both the Kenja 88 and the Stance W88 will still let you get on edge if you want to, but aren't going to be as dedicated to frontside perfomance as a pure carver. The flipside of course is how much more fun slushy afternoons and chopped up snow are vs on a narrow ski.

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Update for anyone interested:

As I mentioned previously, I ended up getting the Atomic Redster X9 WB (the "unisex" version of the Cloud) on sale over the summer. I FINALLY got to take them out on snow. :yahoo: I skied in PA and the conditions here currently are limited terrain with warm slushy springtime conditions as it's been in the 40s-50s and raining, which are not the conditions I would normally choose to take out a stiff skinny ski but I've been dying to try them out. I have to say, I had a blast on them!!!! They may be my new favorite bump ski (who would have thought?!?). I obviously wouldn't want to take them out on a powder day but for bumps and groomers I am in love! I can't wait to try them out on a classic icy east coast day. This was my first time skiing on a full camber ski and as expected the edge hold is phenomenal, they turn on a dime, and are incredibly damp/smooth which is incredibly confidence inspiring. If you do get in the backseat they definitely do let you know but I still found them to be pretty easy to ski overall considering it's a dumbed-down race ski (for reference I would consider myself an advanced intermediate skier).

Last edited:

VTsnowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I took the plunge and ordered the Volkl Kenja 88's. I did a demo first ($50, but worth it to know I liked them), with the Kendo 88 (the men's version, just a different color, they told me.) I liked the feel of them - they were responsive and did what I wanted smoothly and without fuss on various surfaces.

The local shop didn't have the Kenja or Kendo in my size (170), and apparently, they can be hard to get. So, much as I like to support local, I ordered from Evo (which was also cheaper than ordering from Volkl with a pro discount - go figure!) Can't wait to get them!

Rainbow Jenny

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the Head Super Joy (75) that I bought used. Fun ski. I'm glad to see that folks are using narrower skis. I've developed knee pain (age 62) that I'm working on. We'll see what happens when I finally get on the hill this year.

I wonder how the Phoenix R14 will compare to the Stokli Laser SC (72).
Super Joy has been my daily driver for the past 3 seasons, but per suggestion from my trainer, I bought R14 on Sunday before reading this thread.

After skiing them for 2 days, I am super excited about them. I don’t love them yet because they punish me for bad behavior… but they hold their edge and finish turns so beautifully. I’ve never made cleaner and more consistent railroad tracks until now. I’m not a racer and was a terminal intermediate until a few years ago.

I’ve also wonder how they compare to Laser SC but it’s difficult to find demo carving skis in Tahoe. Plus I don’t really enjoy demo’ing and shopping for skis. Glad to have someone I can trust to help pick out skis for me and that I took the plunge.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna