• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Blizzard Phoenix R14

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Anyone else excited to try out this ski? East Coaster here that would love to get a dedicated frontside carver for those firm groomer days. :bounce:Hoping I can find some places to demo!

For reference I would consider myself an advanced intermediate to advanced skier. Current daily driver is the Blizzard Sheeva 9 which I LOVE and it handles the hard pack great but would like to expand my quiver and get something with even better firm snow performance. Anyone else have any recommendations for something similar that isn't a race ski?

MissySki

Angel Diva
Anyone else excited to try out this ski? East Coaster here that would love to get a dedicated frontside carver for those firm groomer days. :bounce:Hoping I can find some places to demo!

For reference I would consider myself an advanced intermediate to advanced skier. Current daily driver is the Blizzard Sheeva 9 which I LOVE and it handles the hard pack great but would like to expand my quiver and get something with even better firm snow performance. Anyone else have any recommendations for something similar that isn't a race ski?

Hmmm I’m an East Coast skier that also uses the Sheeva 9 as my “most days” driver. Haven’t heard of or tried the Phoenix yet.. I’ll keep it on my radar for a demo day.

Where do you usually ski? Loon usually has a Demo Day the first Friday in December every year and Blizzard is always there. Cancelled last year due to Covid, but hoping it’ll be back on this year.

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's new for 2022. I live in NYC and usually ski in the Catskills or PA (so minimal soft snow days sadly...) with occasional trips up to VT and out west.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sounds like a carver that really likes to move! At 70 underfoot, that's narrower than I prefer for east coast skiing. Racing speeds is not high on my list for short slopes in the southeast and mid-Atlantic, or at Indy Pass locations in the east in general. My current narrower skis are 78 underfoot.

I've liked various versions of the Black Pearls so I would demo the Phoenix R14 at a free demo day just for fun.

marzNC

Angel Diva
It's new for 2022. I live in NYC and usually ski in the Catskills or PA (so minimal soft snow days sadly...) with occasional trips up to VT and out west.
/off-topic

Do you have any interest in meeting Divas at Big SNOW in NJ this fall? If so, after you post a little more, you'll be able to see the Meet On The Hill thread for meetups. Likely to be more than once before the snow flies.

/end off-topic

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
/off-topic

Do you have any interest in meeting Divas at Big SNOW in NJ this fall? If so, after you post a little more, you'll be able to see the Meet On The Hill thread for meetups. Likely to be more than once before the snow flies.

/end off-topic
Yes, that sounds like a lot of fun! I would definitely be interested!

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That sounds like a fun ski! It's the first I've heard of it. I actually have a similarly specced ski for my groomer ski in NZ - 70mm, double layer of titanal, pretty much full camber. Sometimes I only ski it in the morning, sometimes all day if the conditions suit - it's nice to have such a ski in the quiver!

Jilly

Staff member
So, on my way to work I remembered the Zoom session I attended last winter with the lady from Blizzard. And the Phenix were there then. Maybe not this model.

So similar skis I know about in the Rossi line.
Rossi Hero ST. Ti
Rossi Nova 14

kmb5662

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They still have the Firebird Line. To my understanding, the Phoenix is a slightly more user friendly carver as part of their Women2Women series and the Thunderbird is the men's equivalent.

MissySki

Angel Diva
They still have the Firebird Line. To my understanding, the Phoenix is a slightly more user friendly carver as part of their Women2Women series and the Thunderbird is the men's equivalent.

I'm so curious to try these now, the more I look at them. I have never really been a skinny ski person, so might be interesting to try some for a change!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I love my skinny skis. I have 2 pairs of Hero's right now. So 1 pair are the rock skis. I've always skied 75mm and under as my daily driver. Anything over 88 on hardpack hurts my knees.

My preference is to stay off piste as much as possible when conditions allow, often only getting on groomers to warm up in the morning and to get to other bump/tree terrain. I think that might be why I often go towards a little wider of a platform. I haven't had any knee pain yet thankfully. I wonder if anatomy plays a role in this or not too since it seems there are many who feel this pains their knees and probably just as many who don't.

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
My preference is to stay off piste as much as possible when conditions allow, often only getting on groomers to warm up in the morning and to get to other bump/tree terrain. I think that might be why I often go towards a little wider of a platform. I haven't had any knee pain yet thankfully. I wonder if anatomy plays a role in this or not too since it seems there are many who feel this pains their knees and probably just as many who don't.
I think knee pain while or after a day of skiing typically correlates with age and wear and tear from other sports. Most of us who have it, did not have it when young(er)!!! I've spent the last 5 years working on my posture, squat, and hip hinge, so I'm better stacked, and my knee pain after skiing is getting better, not worse. Some days I don't need any ibuprofen, whereas 5 years ago I was dosing in the AM, Midday, and Apres, especially if skiing on successive days. I've just moved up from 84s to 88s and based on the wisdom of Jilly and others here, I'm not going wider (except maybe on a demo day for laughs or powder day rental).

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I prefer to stay off piste as well, I ski on 88 underfoot, was tempted to go to 97 but decided against due to bad alignment and a knee issue, Have just had canting plates placed in my boots to try and fix the alignment which is going to take a few days to get used to, once I'm comfortable with the change in stance I may consider going wider however over here in NZ I find 88 can support me in most conditions x

MissySki

Angel Diva
I prefer to stay off piste as well, I ski on 88 underfoot, was tempted to go to 97 but decided against due to bad alignment and a knee issue, Have just had canting plates placed in my boots to try and fix the alignment which is going to take a few days to get used to, once I'm comfortable with the change in stance I may consider going wider however over here in NZ I find 88 can support me in most conditions x

My daily driver is 92 so only a few mm wider than this. I do also have skis in the high 90s, but those only really come out for powder days usually.

Hope you feel more comfortable in your alignment soon!

Reactions: AJM

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, please report back on the canting plates and if you notice the improved alignment while skiing! Was that at Gnomes? When I was in there early this season we discussed canting plates but there was quite a high chance that I'll get new boots next season because I was still having issues with my current ones. So we decided to wait until I get new boots.

I also find that my 88 underfoot skis are great in most off piste conditions, I have a pair of 104s for powder (they're also fun in any soft snow conditions at all, but the 88s are way nicer on hard groomers so a better all-rounder for my conditions haha) and I enjoy my 70s for groomer days/groomer mornings.

Reactions: AJM

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can report that the canting plates are a huge success !!! I had big alignment issues particularly on my right side. I had 3mm plates put in my right boot (which has been a major change) and 1mm on my left. When I came home and put my boots on I literally had to clutch the dining table as I felt so unbalanced ..... like sideways high heels !! So I was VERY anxious as to how I would feel when skiing, they felt incredibly weird on the first day but Leith and Andrew from Gnomes saw me skiing from the chairlift and although it felt super strange to me they said it had made a huge improvement in my leg positioning. All my technique went out the window as I focused on skiing in sideways high heels but 3 days later it all came together and I cant recommend them highly enough.

Re the 88 underfoot, I truly find them great in all NZ conditions, I can ski the hardpack and groomers in them and just as easily take them through crud, NZ powder etc. I was going to try the Black Crows Camox Birdies but decided against, if it aint broke dont fix it. :smile:

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@AJM - thanks!! Love hearing about your experience, especially that it felt a bit odd at first but has ended up being a powerful tool to improve your skiing! I'm definitely going to get the canting done next season :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dreamofskiing