• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Blizzard or Santa Ana’s?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
BTW tried the mindbender 88 in Taos. Good groomer ski but too much work for the bumps and more interesting terrain.

cskis88

Certified Ski Diva
I have the 164 cm Sheeva 10s (like them a lot on nearly everything but on hardback at speed). Just picked up a pair of 163 cm K2 Mindbender 88Ti and the binding mounts are noticeably different. Like, a lot. I think the Sheevas “ski short” because of the fore placing of the bindings, maybe? The K2s are much further aft. Both are factory mounts. I’m sure there is a good reason for the difference but I have no idea what it would be.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Curious ... did you get to try the Stockli Stormrider 85w? I’m wondering how the two skis compare?
I will pipe in on that. I own the Sheeva 9 172 and have demoed the Stockli Stormrider Motion 85 168 twice over the last 2 years. Where the Sheeva has a huge sweet spot, the Stormrider Motion is more business. The Stormrider Motion is the first damp ski I have enjoyed; smooth as butter, super stable and confidence building, but not boring. It is not nearly as forgiving as the Sheeva, but it feels ready to rip if that is what you want. The Sheeva consistently puts a smile on my face....it is fun and versatile and the tail rocker allows for you to be more easy going and change up the style of your turns. What it lacks in teeth it makes up for with smiles.

I am in the market for a stable high 70s-mid 80s ski that will handle the super hard New England groomer days, but also be fun. It must also do bumps, play in soft edges and handle crud piles in the middle too. The Stockli is on the list.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I will pipe in on that. I own the Sheeva 9 172 and have demoed the Stockli Stormrider Motion 85 168 twice over the last 2 years. Where the Sheeva has a huge sweet spot, the Stormrider Motion is more business. The Stormrider Motion is the first damp ski I have enjoyed; smooth as butter, super stable and confidence building, but not boring. It is not nearly as forgiving as the Sheeva, but it feels ready to rip if that is what you want. The Sheeva consistently puts a smile on my face....it is fun and versatile and the tail rocker allows for you to be more easy going and change up the style of your turns. What it lacks in teeth it makes up for with smiles.

I am in the market for a stable high 70s-mid 80s ski that will handle the super hard New England groomer days, but also be fun. It must also do bumps, play in soft edges and handle crud piles in the middle too. The Stockli is on the list.
The Nela by Stockli is the new women's line. A tad bit less serious than the Stormrider Motion. I want a a pair! :drool:

lisamamot

Angel Diva
The Nela by Stockli is the new women's line. A tad bit less serious than the Stormrider Motion. I want a a pair! :drool:
Oooh, the Nela 80. Did you try it? Do tell. It stops at a 165 though?

Finding a Stockli demo around here is nuts though. I lucked-out with a spring demo through a shop the last two years, but they sold the shop and I don’t know if that demo day is a possibility.

HikenSki

Angel Diva
I am in the market for a stable high 70s-mid 80s ski that will handle the super hard New England groomer days, but also be fun. It must also do bumps, play in soft edges and handle crud piles in the middle too.
Yeah...I think I'm gonna have to look for a new groomer ski. Having skied mostly on my Kore 93s most the season due to more spring like snow thanks to our terrible Mid-Atlantic temps, my carver skis (Quattro 8.0ca) feel too light and unstable. I tried them on three runs last weekend and felt very nervous on them. Interestingly, I had the same nervous, nonconfident feeling yesterday morning. Twice I felt really squirrelly and unsure of my abilities. I switched out to my Kores and I was off and running. It was like night and day. The Quattro's are heavier system skis so I know it's not a weight issue. I really think it's a stiffness issue and the flatter tail and longer contact length. I loved them last year for smooth conditions and really should just spend a day on them again to get used to them and more comfortable, but they don't work great once things get chopped up and bumpy. Thus the reason why they've seen limited use this year. I'm wondering if a shape like the BP82 with the narrower waist but more tip and tail rocker would be a good middle ground. I'm avoiding demoing Stockli and even Kastle. No room in my budget for those skis! LOL

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oooh, the Nela 80. Did you try it? Do tell. It stops at a 165 though?

Finding a Stockli demo around here is nuts though. I lucked-out with a spring demo through a shop the last two years, but they sold the shop and I don’t know if that demo day is a possibility.
The 88. I would have happily never given them back. I'm not sure of the lengths, but I was on a 160, which is short for me, and they skied very true to length. VERY little tip rocker. So stable at speed.

The new Black Pearl series also ski much longer than their predecessors, as do the Santa Ana, despite the shortening of lengths on both. It's going to be confusing recommending lengths going forward!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Curious ... did you get to try the Stockli Stormrider 85w? I’m wondering how the two skis compare?
I did not but am pretty certain the stockli storm rider 85w is a more serious ski. Powder House had them for demo but it is a hassle to switch out. Plus I wanted to try the Sheeva 9 and I usually stay on the same ski to really get a feel for it... Very fun ski !

lisamamot

Angel Diva
The new Black Pearl series also ski much longer than their predecessors, as do the Santa Ana, despite the shortening of lengths on both
Wait, the Santa Ana is going to be longer but with an added length, correct? I read there is a 172 vs 169 and a 179 vs 177.

my carver skis (Quattro 8.0ca) feel too light and unstable.
The Quattro's are heavier system skis so I know it's not a weight issue. I really think it's a stiffness issue and the flatter tail and longer contact length.
I have the Blizzard Viva 810ti which is the 2015 version of your Quattro 8.0 Ca. Mine have titanal and yours have carbon; yours are less stiff than mine, but should still be a pretty stable ski and not feel squirrelly. Do you think the length is off for you? Mine are 167 and ski like they are supposed to, I just prefer a livelier ski. I am on a quest for one that is super stable, holds a great edge on ice, and is a bit lively. Wish me luck!

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the 164 cm Sheeva 10s (like them a lot on nearly everything but on hardback at speed). Just picked up a pair of 163 cm K2 Mindbender 88Ti and the binding mounts are noticeably different. Like, a lot. I think the Sheevas “ski short” because of the fore placing of the bindings, maybe? The K2s are much further aft. Both are factory mounts. I’m sure there is a good reason for the difference but I have no idea what it would be.

Yep! The Mindbenders are mounted at -10cm vs -7 on the Sheevas. It’ll give you more stability at speed vs the forward mounts (which help make it super easy to turn and makes it more surfy and smeary). The Mindbenders also have less rocker, longer turn radius, and stiffer flex that’ll add to the perceived length.

That’s a sweet quiver!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wait, the Santa Ana is going to be longer but with an added length, correct? I read there is a 172 vs 169 and a 179 vs 177.

I have the Blizzard Viva 810ti which is the 2015 version of your Quattro 8.0 Ca. Mine have titanal and yours have carbon; yours are less stiff than mine, but should still be a pretty stable ski and not feel squirrelly. Do you think the length is off for you? Mine are 167 and ski like they are supposed to, I just prefer a livelier ski. I am on a quest for one that is super stable, holds a great edge on ice, and is a bit lively. Wish me luck!
I guess I wasn't clear--sorry about that! They have shortened the skis but added different lengths and they ski longer than they used to.

In all honesty, I skied the new 93 and 88, and didn't feet much of a difference between them and their predecessors.

lisamamot

Angel Diva
I guess I wasn't clear--sorry about that! They have shortened the skis but added different lengths and they ski longer than they used to.

In all honesty, I skied the new 93 and 88, and didn't feet much of a difference between them and their predecessors.
Interesting that they ski similarly - I am super excited to try the Santa Ana 98 since they now ski longer and come in a 172 instead of a 169. My pre-metal Santa Ana 100 177 could use a bit more teeth and a bit less length for use in tight quarters.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva

Absolutely loved the SA 93 in a 161 in Taos a couple weeks ago. Now I see for 2021 similar length would be a 158 with longer wheelbase according to @SnowHot (if I understood correctly). They have more chops than the Sheeva 9 but honestly liked them both.. Think it's the shorter TR that felt so different . Current skis have TR 18.

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Got to try out a real variety of conditions on my Rustler 10s yesterday - from knee-deep untracked pow through to chop, soft bumps, dust-on-crust bumps, soft groomers, firm groomers and refrozen groomers with a tiny bit of fresh on top. I'll admit my powder skis make the deep stuff easier but as an all rounder, these are pretty good. Hoping to demo the Sheeva 9s soon, see if they're as much fun for the firmer stuff with good edge hold.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I don't want to put words in your post, but....
When we talked, I think we both thought the difference in sheets of metal (2021 having one sheet) didn't make as much of a difference as the change in wheelbase and options in lengths.
That's how I felt, anyway. Did I understand you correctly?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna