• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Black Pearl 88 or 78 or something totally different?

Apicturepaints1000words

Diva in Training
I am looking to upgrade my skis. Currently I ski on 163 cm Volkl Oceana's from 2010. I was looking online and then went to my local ski shop who is usually really good but the person I got today had no clue about the different women's skis and he basically said that after skiing all day they are all the same! Why I dislike my current skis is that I don't feel control and stability. I am an advanced beginner/intermediate skier. I ski mostly groomed trails, hard packed snow in Michigan. I am 5'6 and 220 lbs. Would the black pearl 88 be too much of a ski for me? I just keep hearing about how great it is?

MissySki

Angel Diva
I don't think the Black Pearl would be too much ski, seems many levels can have a blast on it! The best thing you can do if possible though would be to demo and see what you like in a ski as well as different lengths. I mention length because I'm thinking you may need to go a bit longer to get the stability and control you are seeking, depending on the ski. As an example, I am 5'4 and ~130lbs and I ski anywhere from a 163-168 cm long skis most often. When I was starting out, I was on a ski that was 147 in length, and as I started picking up speed, going on more difficult terrain, and finding ice.. well they were downright chattery and scary, certainly not stable because I was overpowering them too much.

So all that is just to say, if you are able to demo some skis and different lengths in something you like as well, that would be the best approach to know you are getting something you love!

Apicturepaints1000words

Diva in Training
I don't think the Black Pearl would be too much ski, seems many levels can have a blast on it! The best thing you can do if possible though would be to demo and see what you like in a ski as well as different lengths. I mention length because I'm thinking you may need to go a bit longer to get the stability and control you are seeking, depending on the ski. As an example, I am 5'4 and ~130lbs and I ski anywhere from a 163-168 cm long skis most often. When I was starting out, I was on a ski that was 147 in length, and as I started picking up speed, going on more difficult terrain, and finding ice.. well they were downright chattery and scary, certainly not stable because I was overpowering them too much.

So all that is just to say, if you are able to demo some skis and different lengths in something you like as well, that would be the best approach to know you are getting something you love!

Thank you for your feedback! There is nowhere even near me to demo them, believe me I looked. My question is length I agreed with you that I was thinking I need a longer ski. So when I found some online I called the shop and told them everything I mentioned above and they recommended a 152 length which is against everything I have been reading. I was shocked and told them I am on 163 lengthy currently and the guy said that is most likely too long and that's why I might not feel control and stability now?

Jilly

Staff member
A ski doesn't react to your height, which is probably what this guy is thinking. It's going to react to your weight and ability.

If I remember the Oceana was a beginner ski. I know there is a lot of love for the BP. I haven't had a chance to try the new version. Hated the old one.

The question is what type of ski are you looking for? A true carving ski, an all mountain ski like the BP or something in between. Also at 220lb I'm wondering about the BP and maybe you might need a unisex ski.

I'm 5'4, 155lb and ski 161 to 171 depending on the ski.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The BP88 is about as easy to ski as anything in the intermediate/advanced category as you can find. That being said, can you demo?

Apicturepaints1000words

Diva in Training
A ski doesn't react to your height, which is probably what this guy is thinking. It's going to react to your weight and ability.

If I remember the Oceana was a beginner ski. I know there is a lot of love for the BP. I haven't had a chance to try the new version. Hated the old one.

The question is what type of ski are you looking for? A true carving ski, an all mountain ski like the BP or something in between. Also at 220lb I'm wondering about the BP and maybe you might need a unisex ski.

I'm 5'4, 155lb and ski 161 to 171 depending on the ski.

I am looking for a carving or something in between. If you have any suggestions I am open to ideas!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oodles of options! Do you want something that can serve as an all-mountain tool in the event of fresh snow, moguls, crud, etc? If so, the Nordica Astral 84 is another one to look at. As easy to ski as the BP88, but with titanal in it so it's a tad better on hard snow, I think.

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In terms of control & stability on your current setup, is it that they're hard to turn (signs it's too long/stiff) or that you don't feel like you can trust them to get any speed (signs it's short/soft)? Did they suit you better when you first started skiing? If you've progressed out of them, the 152s won't do you any favors.

The BPs are a great choice, especially if you think you'll travel to ski in the future. If you expect to stick to Michigan, I'd look for something in the sub-80 waist category meant for carving. The Blizzard Alight seems to get a lot more love than the BP 78, and the Volkl Flair and Atomic Vantage series get a lot of love too.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I am an advanced beginner/intermediate skier. I ski mostly groomed trails, hard packed snow in Michigan. I am 5'6 and 220 lbs. Would the black pearl 88 be too much of a ski for me? I just keep hearing about how great it is?
Welcome! Fun username. :smile:

While you may well enjoy the BP88, it's probably not the best choice for an intermediate who is mostly skiing in the midwest. My home region is the mid-Atlantic and I also ski a bit in the northeast. For those conditions I have skis that are 78 underfoot and I'm an advanced skier at this point. When I was a solid intermediate (about 10 years ago), my all-mountain skis that I used in the Mid-Atlantic and out west were 75 underfoot. I'm petite and enjoy the BP88.

The BP78 is the narrow model in the Blizzard Black Pearl line. But it's not really designed for beginner/intermediate skiers.

Perhaps look at the K2 skis for intermediates?

By the way, did you notice the regional thread for the midwest?
https://www.theskidiva.com/forums/index.php?threads/anyone-here-in-the-midwest.23419/

freckles

Certified Ski Diva
Welcome!
I'm in Michigan -- my home hill is Alpine Valley in White Lake. The ski shop there has demos. Any of the hills up north would let you demo for a fee then apply that to your purchase. Regardless, I'd recommend the Volkl Yumi & Kenja, K2 ToughLuv & Alluvit 88, Blizzard BP 88, Nordica Astral all at lengths around 160-165. I demoed the Nordica Enforcer 93 and Navigator 85 (not a "woman's ski") and liked them both.
Let us know what you decide

~Christine

Apicturepaints1000words

Diva in Training
Thank you everyone for your suggestions and feedback. I ended up going with the Dynastar Legend w80 after visiting the ski shop again. I skied on them yesterday at Schuss which was hard packed with icy conditions. They definitely gave me more confidence with my turns and going faster. Still getting acclimated to them though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga