• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Anyone here in the midwest?

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is there anyone here thats located in MN/WI? It seems like all I see are posts/ events from people from the east or west but not in the middle.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Is there anyone here thats located in MN/WI? It seems like all I see are posts/ events from people from the east or west but not in the middle.
Where do you usually ski? My niece moved to St. Paul a few years ago. But she's been too busy with grad school to get out to a ski area yet.

I was impressed with what I saw wandering around the bases of Boyne Mountain, Boyne Highlands, and Nub's Nob during the summer. I was in Michigan visiting a cousin. Looked like Boyne Resorts was working on assorted improvements. The terrain looked a lot like the Mid-Atlantic. But I know it's a lot colder!

Jenny

Angel Diva
I haven’t been out yet this year, except yesterday at Copper. Hope to remedy that soon after we get back.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Interesting perspective about the changes at Afton Alps since Vail Resorts took ownership. This article in Powder from Dec 2018 was written by someone who started skiing Afton in 2004. Saw the changes first hand.

Vail Bought My Hometown Hill. Here’s What Happened.

" . . . Here are a few of my experiences and observations:

The first thing to change was indeed the price. In February of 2012, just before Vail purchasing Afton, a lift ticket would run you a modest $29. But over the next couple of seasons it rose to $50 where it remained until another jump to $55 this season. I skied both Afton and Crystal Mountain in Washington in 2017, and paid full price for both. At $50 for a lift ticket at Afton, that was only $20 shy of what I paid for a day pass at Crystal, which is more than 10 times the size and has nearly nine times the vertical. So while I love my home state, the skiing there just can't demand such a premium.

But before you start thinking all of that money is going to line the pockets of some CEO, that uptick in prices brought with it a massive influx of resources and improvements to infrastructure. While they were raising lift ticket prices, Vail was simultaneously pouring $10 million back into Afton.

A new front office and ticket counter brought formerly out-of-control lines on weekends to an end. You don't have to stand in line at all if you opt for a reusable card with an RFID chip that you can load up online from the comfort of your home. Après amenities got a boost as well. The dining facilities got an upgrade, and now instead of paying an arm and a leg for a greasy burger and fries, you pay an arm and a leg for a plate of delicious fish tacos and a craft brew. The terrain park also got a total renovation, including the addition of a yurt to warm up in between sessions.

The biggest improvement, however, was to the skiing. A huge investment in snowmaking equipment means the season starts earlier, continues later, and while it can't fix the vertical, a deeper base leads to higher quality skiing all around. With 72 added and upgraded snowmaking machines, (22 ground-based snow guns and 50 tower-based guns) a lot of snow can be made quickly, even if Mother Nature isn't bringing the white stuff."

HikenSki

Angel Diva
I
Interesting perspective about the changes at Afton Alps since Vail Resorts took ownership. This article in Powder from Dec 2018 was written by someone who started skiing Afton in 2004. Saw the changes first hand.

Vail Bought My Hometown Hill. Here’s What Happened.

" . . . Here are a few of my experiences and observations:

The first thing to change was indeed the price. In February of 2012, just before Vail purchasing Afton, a lift ticket would run you a modest $29. But over the next couple of seasons it rose to $50 where it remained until another jump to $55 this season. I skied both Afton and Crystal Mountain in Washington in 2017, and paid full price for both. At $50 for a lift ticket at Afton, that was only $20 shy of what I paid for a day pass at Crystal, which is more than 10 times the size and has nearly nine times the vertical. So while I love my home state, the skiing there just can't demand such a premium.

But before you start thinking all of that money is going to line the pockets of some CEO, that uptick in prices brought with it a massive influx of resources and improvements to infrastructure. While they were raising lift ticket prices, Vail was simultaneously pouring $10 million back into Afton.

A new front office and ticket counter brought formerly out-of-control lines on weekends to an end. You don't have to stand in line at all if you opt for a reusable card with an RFID chip that you can load up online from the comfort of your home. Après amenities got a boost as well. The dining facilities got an upgrade, and now instead of paying an arm and a leg for a greasy burger and fries, you pay an arm and a leg for a plate of delicious fish tacos and a craft brew. The terrain park also got a total renovation, including the addition of a yurt to warm up in between sessions.

The biggest improvement, however, was to the skiing. A huge investment in snowmaking equipment means the season starts earlier, continues later, and while it can't fix the vertical, a deeper base leads to higher quality skiing all around. With 72 added and upgraded snowmaking machines, (22 ground-based snow guns and 50 tower-based guns) a lot of snow can be made quickly, even if Mother Nature isn't bringing the white stuff."
My brothers and I learned to ski at Afton many moons ago. Skied there a lot as a kid through middle school. Haven't been back since and would live to see all those improvements. Only one of my brothers kept up with the sport and we ski annually in February. Always a good time.

MI-skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied Black Friday on our local hill (Pine Knob-Detroit MI) but haven't been back out. DD has been out nearly every other day and also up north at Schuss. We've skied pretty much most within a 10 hour drive. Blue Mtn, Ontario to Tremblant Montreal, Seven Springs PA, Snowshoe WVA. We're under a warm spell right now and very little natural snow.

freckles

Certified Ski Diva
We just returned from a trip to Northern Michigan. Skied Boyne Mountain, Nubs Nob and Boyne Highlands. We had excellent conditions and a great time. Both Boynes have high speed lifts. Nubs does not, but it does have nice terrain (I think it's easier for people to find their way around because of the color-coded lifts). Both the Highlands and Nubs re-added half pipes this year to their terrain parks. I think Boyne's walk-up prices are high and not flexible, compared to Nubs, but that's my opinion. Of the three, I think the Highlands is my favorite.

marzNC

Angel Diva
We just returned from a trip to Northern Michigan. Skied Boyne Mountain, Nubs Nob and Boyne Highlands. We had excellent conditions and a great time. Both Boynes have high speed lifts. Nubs does not, but it does have nice terrain (I think it's easier for people to find their way around because of the color-coded lifts). Both the Highlands and Nubs re-added half pipes this year to their terrain parks. I think Boyne's walk-up prices are high and not flexible, compared to Nubs, but that's my opinion. Of the three, I think the Highlands is my favorite.
Did you notice anyone using an Ikon pass at the Boyne resorts? Adding them to Ikon was clearly of interest to Boyne Resorts, along with increasing the number of days at Sunday River, Sugarloaf, and Loon in the northeast.

It was interesting when I realized in the summer that I could see Nubs from Boyne Highlands. Never realized they were that close together. Walked around inside the Boyne Mountain slope side lodging and heard about the updates in the works. Pretty clear Boyne Resorts is continuing to pay attention to their home locations.

freckles

Certified Ski Diva
Did you notice anyone using an Ikon pass at the Boyne resorts? Adding them to Ikon was clearly of interest to Boyne Resorts, along with increasing the number of days at Sunday River, Sugarloaf, and Loon in the northeast.

It was interesting when I realized in the summer that I could see Nubs from Boyne Highlands. Never realized they were that close together. Walked around inside the Boyne Mountain slope side lodging and heard about the updates in the works. Pretty clear Boyne Resorts is continuing to pay attention to their home locations.

I didn't notice Ikon passes, but I wasn't looking for them either. I know some Boyne regulars who also take trips out west were interested in the Ikon pass.

Did you take the chairlift to the top when you visited? I was there a couple times and saw the chapel at the top and various lookouts. The Highlands had a fire in the main lodge a couple years ago and the renovation is planned, but still on hold from what I understand.

Here are a couple pictures from Boyne Highlands (the Challenger runs). You can see Nubs Nob in the background.boyne highlands.jpgboyne highlands 3.jpg

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Although I made a lot of trips west, I spent the first 25 years of my skiing in the Midwest (Wisconsin, upper peninsula MI, a few MN). Moved here in 2001. Very familiar with many of the resorts!

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I frequent Trollhaugen and Elm creek currently.
Been to giants ridge, Spirit Mtn, Lutsen, Buck Hill so far
Others near me are Hyland, Afton, Welch, Wild Mtn

Ice Kitten

Certified Ski Diva
I'm in the middle! Wisconsin, my son races USSA so that brings us all over WI/MI for races and train out west a number of times a year..

My husband and I are in WI too. Our home hill is Cascade Mountain, near Portage. We're close to a few others - this winter we might get out to Granite Peak near Wausau. I've heard good things about that hill!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Northern MI conditions are pretty stellar given the total $hit weather we’ve had. We went up to Searchmont in Canada only to encounter blue ice. We didn’t even ski until we were almost home and found out we got 5-10” the night before. Sheesh. Today was day 27 for me, I think.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Northern MI conditions are pretty stellar given the total $hit weather we’ve had. We went up to Searchmont in Canada only to encounter blue ice. We didn’t even ski until we were almost home and found out we got 5-10” the night before. Sheesh. Today was day 27 for me, I think.
I was looking for info on Searchmont's coverage just today - don’t even think their website says, one other one said a whole 5" base.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was looking for info on Searchmont's coverage just today - don’t even think their website says, one other one said a whole 5" base.
Day 1, we didn’t ski. Day 2, Chet took one run, I took 2, Janny side-slipped down, mom fell after 2 turns and then walk/slid down. Even hiking required YakTrax.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Wow! Really is frigid in the midwest. Wilmot is closed until the weekend because it's too cold. I assume that doesn't happen too often. (Wilmot is owned by Vail Resorts and on the Epic pass.)

**Due to frigid temperatures, Wilmot Mountain will be closed Tue 1/29, Wed 1/30, & Thur 1/31. We will re-open Friday 2/1 at 10am for skiing & snowboarding and 4pm for tubing.**

marzNC

Angel Diva
Meanwhile it's been snowing at Boyne Mountain all week and should be pretty nice this weekend. With rain and temps in the 40s predicted for early next week.

Screen Shot 2019-01-30 at 4.21.59 PM.png

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna