• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

binding for line celebrity twin tips?

katiebakes

Diva in Training
Celebrity Twin Tips - Thoughts?

hello! hopefully this post won't get lost since it's an older thread, but this thread seemed to make the most sense.

i am new to the forum - i found it because i was googling a bunch of skis and a lot of the google results brought me to ski diva. love the site! anyway, i notice you have posted a lot about the line celebrity skis, which I am recently quite curious about.

i have been demoing skis all winter, hoping to buy at the end of this season in a sale or something. i haven't tried the line skis, but they sound great.

while i'm not a freestyler, i was just out in jackson hole and one day they gave me dynastar "big trouble" limited edition twintips, and i loved them. they were surprisingly great on the groomers, 92 underfoot, and flexible on bumps.

these line celebrities sound quite similar (and i like the graphics) :smile: my biggest holdup is that i ski east coast/west coast somewhat equally (maybe more days in the west just because i take longer vacations there, but living in nyc i go to vermont quite a bit) and so i don't want to get skis that are ONLY good for one region or the other.

ideally i want - flexible, pretty wide underfoot to float through powder days, but also skis that can hold their own on groomers and even the good old new england ice. i'm an advanced intermediate to advanced skier who increasingly goes off piste into trees and bumps but who will never stop loving groomers. i'm also relatively new to powder but after a few gorgeous bluebird days in alta i finally understand the hype ...

thoughts?

pb&jane

Certified Ski Diva
Another ski diva newbie - like me! Welcome! I found the site a few days before you and am already hooked. :D
But back to the Celebrites. Vanhoskier can wax poetic about them because she now owns 'em, lucky dog. But I got hooked on them at Alta (when were you there?) and kept telling my DH, "I love these things. I need them!" As you say, they were great on bumps (I demo'd 164s), pow, and nice on soft groomers. I'm not a freestyler either, but I like to ski backwards and turn 360s (hmmmm, maybe I do freestyle a bit....), so twin tips are more versatile for me. The ski shop guy @ Alta suggested them after I told him I liked the Salmon Ten-eighty Guns (96 inch waist?), but wanted to try something else. He initially mentioned the Rossi B74s, but when I said I ski agressively, thought I'd have more fun on the Celebrities. Said they really hop and jump -- which they do!
Vanhoskier can tell you how they perform in east coast conditions. I've heard good things and hope to see how they do soon.
If you want to demo them, I think I noticed that the demo shop @ Sugarbush has them to demo - yes, here: https://www.sugarbush.com/skiandride/cm.asp?pn=performancedemos&pid=136&nid=67 Or go back to Alta and the Powderhouse!
Another thing: I'm a pretty solid gal @ 145 & 5'8", not sure if that makes a difference.
Last thing: If you ski 60 West/40 East, than I would lean toward a ski you'll have more fun w/ out west. Which would be a wider ski. You can always pick up some narrow waist skis cheap for those hardpack/ice days (ick).

katiebakes

Diva in Training
Wow, what a great and fast response - thanks so much!

I wish I had heard about these skis before I went. I was in Alta last week - it was incredible. I stayed at the Alta Lodge and so went to the DPH for skis - they had me on Rossi B94 Bandits, which worked well for me on the powder days we had.

I'm going to be out in the Boulder and Vail vicinities the last weekend in March, so I'll have to do some advance scouting to see where I can demo these puppies!!

alta_gal83

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey PB&Jane,

What shop at Alta did you demo the Lines from? Or did you demo from somewhere in the valley. I've been wanting to try them, and that is my mountain .... sooooo why not, right?

pb&jane

Certified Ski Diva
Deep Powder House @ Goldminer's. Let us know how you like'em!

And, KBakes, how did you like the Rossi B94s? That's the unisex version, right? What were they good at/not good at? I wanted to try them, but they didn't have my length in at the time. I ski 170 Bandit Xs (like B1s) here in the east and like the feel of them, but worry that the B94s might be too much ski for me and not as playful in the bumps.

alta_gal83

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks PB. It'll probably happen Sunday!

Seriously, I'm in the DPH all the time and I haven't even bothered to look at what skis they are stocking this year. Jeez. I feel sheepish ....

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
Marker Jesters.

pb&jane

Certified Ski Diva
I've heard a few people mention the Marker Jesters, but they are pricey. How do they differ from say from the Salomon z10s or z12s? Are they worth the extra $$??

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Just so you guys know: I skied my Celebrities on Saturday night in hardpack-ice conditions (yeah, PA!) and they held their edge well. I'm actually using them as my ski of choice, and I end up skiing east coast more, simply because my teaching job doesn't allow the time for many forays out west. :(

Oh, yeah, and about those Marker Jesters...I have a pair of park skis to mount at some point: what's the difference between the Jesters and the Look/Rossi jib bindings?

katiebakes

Diva in Training
PBJ: I think the Bandit B94's definitely weren't female specific as the guy at the DPH told me he uses them as his everyday skis!

Being 94" underfoot they definitely sailed through powder quite well, I felt like I was floating. I also found them totally manageable on tree/bump runs (spent a lot of time on them off the Wildcat lift in Alta and had a blast).

Cons - they were not attractive, kind of an olive green color with orange writing. Not that looks are all that matter but I mean ... compared with the looks of the Celebrities there's just no contest. : )

Trying to think about what else I didn't love about them ... you know, it's funny because I tried regular Bandits before and did not like them, I just felt "off" on them. I probably wouldn't have accepted the B94's if I knew they were Bandits, but they were a completely different ski! They even did well on the groomers, although I don't know if they would be any good on ice.

In sum, I'd say they're worth trying out for all-mountain conditions if you are looking for a ski with wide underfoot that can maneuver fairly well.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Next year's '09 Celebrities have cool graphics if you don't like the flowery ones in this year's ski.

Now, I'm gonna try to post a picture...sorry if this doesn't work....

Hmmm....the HTML on this doesn't look like it'll work when I hit that "submit reply" button...so...

skigrl27

Ski Diva Extraordinaire<br>Legal & Environmental A
I've heard a few people mention the Marker Jesters, but they are pricey. How do they differ from say from the Salomon z10s or z12s? Are they worth the extra $$??

No clue about the z10's or 12's. I got my Jester's for about 50% off - otherwise I would never have paid that much for bindings. But...I will say, the Jester's are super light, designed for big mountain free skiing and park performance. I love them...but agree, they are about as much as a pair of skis!

pb&jane

Certified Ski Diva
lisam, Thanks for the tip on the tips:smile:
That's an awesome price!
I actually found them at a local ski shop at the end of the season for $299. Not as good a price, but with graphics I preferred -- that's SO important :D
Was able to ski on them a few days in VT and loved them in the soft and deep snow. Not so good on hardpack, but I didn't expect they would be. I can't wait to bring them out west this winter.
Have fun on yours!:ski2:

ski-luvr

Certified Ski Diva
pb& jane:
have you tried them out yet?? I've got the same set up, but instead of z12's I got the z10's Ti...can't wait to try them once we get some snow over here!!

ski-luvr

Certified Ski Diva
I tried them today!! Finally! They are great! Compared to my crossmax's- a little less fast and more squirrely, but very light, and energetic....having some issues with the bindings, but i do love the weight of them, and enjoyed their floatiness on a rare and wonderful poweder day today =)

pb&jane

Certified Ski Diva
:D Great! I envy you being able to use them on powder. They're also pretty good for mashed potatoes. I brought them up to VT over xmas, but they don't like hardpack (squirrely is right), so I went with my old but reliable Bandits. What are your issues with the bindings? I have z10s as well....

ski-luvr

Certified Ski Diva
PB&J--> I'm thinking maybe the z10's were not mounted quite right maybe...In order to click in with my boots I have to sort of jump on them and kick my leg at the same time. If I just try to push my wieght down (toe to heel-like normal) they won't click in on the heel...it's like it requires more than my weight to get them on....Not a huge problem until I try to put them on in the middle of nowhere in soft snow. Then I'll be in trouble.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna