• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

binding for line celebrity twin tips?

pb&jane

Certified Ski Diva
Hi -- I'm totally new to skidiva -- excited to find you!:clap:
Here's my question. I demo-ed a pair of Line Celebrity twintips at Alta last week and LOVED them. They seemed to do everything: bumps, powder, quick turns in the trees, even not too bad in the chunk and nice on the groomed. But what bindings to pair with them? I'm a fairly aggressive, athletic skiier. 5'8" 145lbs.
One other thing: I also demo-ed the Salomon ten-eighty Guns and liked very much as well, for similar reasons. Anyone know the differences between these skis? I'll probably also ski whatever I choose in the harder pack east -- although I have a pair of Rossi Bandit Xs that do well here.
thanks much.

WELCOME PB&J!:D

You will love the Ski Divas! :yahoo: It's a great group!

There are many on here that know so much more than I do about skis and bindings so I will defer to them, but I did want to welcome you!

Good luck! More Divas will post soon....

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Welcome, pb! Give our gear gurus a few hours to get off their skis and back on the computer - it's the weekend! By Monday, you'll be getting your input! As stated above, most of us prefer to let the experts answer the gear questions. But while you're here, have a look around and join the fun :smile: !

Here's my question. I demo-ed a pair of Line Celebrity twintips at Alta last week and LOVED them. They seemed to do everything: bumps, powder, quick turns in the trees, even not too bad in the chunk and nice on the groomed. But what bindings to pair with them? I'm a fairly aggressive, athletic skiier. 5'8" 145lbs. One other thing: I also demo-ed the Salomon ten-eighty Guns and liked very much as well, for similar reasons. Anyone know the differences between these skis? I'll probably also ski whatever I choose in the harder pack east -- although I have a pair of Rossi Bandit Xs that do well here. thanks much.

Welcome! pb&jane :smile:

I love twin tips. Do you plan to use them primarily in the park or as an all mountain ski? I have the Solomon Mynx twin tip skis which are similar to the Guns. I think if you primarily ski in the East, the snow is often pretty hard for these skis to keep a great grip on the hardpack/icy area, not sure what the Lines will do in Eastern conditions. I love my Mynx skis for soft groomer days, shallow powder/soft crud, playing in the park, and skiing switch but don't enjoy them for steeps or icy conditions.

As far as bindings go, I have 2 pr. of Solomon twin tips mounted with the Solomon Z10 bindings, which is a great binding for freestyle and all mountain stuff, and not too expensive. There's also a Z12 model if you need the higher DIN setting (I'm a 5.5). Here's a link.

If you do buy one of these skis, think about how you want them mounted. You can get a center mount which will make 360s and spins easiest, but might make them a little noodle-y when carving at higher speeds and might not give you enough fore-aft balance when skiing powder. I have my Mynx center mounted for learning how to do park stuff and I have a pair of Solomon Scarlets that I have traditionally mounted for freeriding.

Hope that helps -- have fun shopping. You are among many gear addicts here!

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm glad to see this post. I have an opportunity to pick up a pair of these but I can't seem to decide what to do RE: bindings.

BTW, ski now work later, from what I've gathered online, the Celebritys have actually been rated pretty well even for hardpack. So while I'm hoping to use mine for my rare powder days, they're valuable otherwise as well.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Hey pb&jane! Welcome! Guess what? I just bought Line Celebrities, and I had them mounted with Rossi Scratch FS bindings. Love them. They ARE great on Eastern hardpack....as good as any carving ski! I've used them on steeps, bumps, and jumps. No problem. I think most freestyle bindings will be fine. Just mount them traditionally - not forward, as the ski is easy to turn as is, has a nice swing weight, and you don't want longer tails catching on bumps.

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Oh, one more thing....the Salomon Guns are a foam-cored ski, whereas the Lines have a wood core. Tradition says that wood-core skis preserve their "pop" longer, although I can't attest to that, and I'll let somebody else here comment on that.

I'd go with the Celebs over the Salomons, especially for the Eastern hardpack. The Guns will probably be fine, but the Celebs are really stable at speed on the stuff. Read my review on the Celebrities in the reviews threads.

pb&jane

Certified Ski Diva
wow -- I love how helpful you all are! I'd posted a q on the epic site and was mostly ignored. this is MUCH better!
vanhoskier has me sold on the celebrities. and to answer snwlater, I haven't had experience in the park, but I do like to do 360s for grins. These would be my western(sometimes eastern) skis.
Wondering if there's a thread here on the basics of bindings. I know how to ski, but I should know a lot more about my equipment--and I don't live in ski country. sigh. also i'm in the dark ages re: forward vs. regular mounting. help!
thanks so MUCH!

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
pb&jane-

You can do 360's on these without the forward binding setup - I do 360's on mine all the time! Like you, I had some questions on binding position and found a forum somewhere on the web about it (I forget where). Anyway...this is what I know (but others here know more than I):

If you want to ski all mountain, including steeps, bumps, and powder (when you're lucky enough to! :becky: ) then you need a traditional mount on this ski. The ski is designed to turn easily mounted this way. You do not want longer tails to "hook up" on steeps or bumps. Also, in powder, the regular binding position gives you the longer tip for flotation.

You could mount the bindings 1 or 2 cm. ahead if you want more "spin" but then you are losing a little bit of that all-mountain capability. I struggled with this a bit when I bought my skis, and the woman at the shop told me to go with a standard position, even after I told her I ski switch and do 360's and play in the park. After bringing them home, I wondered to myself if I did the right thing, but when I skied on them, I was convinced I did.

If you mount forward, you will use a more upright stance in your skiing, and at times will have to lean back a bit on the tails. This is fine, and even fun, if you are skiing blue groomers but probably not steeps and deeps, or trees, for that matter.

I ended up buying a pair of 2-year-old (but "new") Celebs on Ebay a few days ago to mount in a forward position as a park/play ski. But they won't be my all-mountain ski because they'll have some limitations....I did this because I got them cheap and so could afford such a limited-use ski in my quiver.

I'm interested in other Divas' comments on the binding issue. I know there is a thread here somewhere from a Diva who skied in several different binding positions and wrote about it.

In terms of binding makes, I think MaineSkiLady recommended the Marker Jesters (MSL, if this wasn't you, sorry!). They look like an awesome jib binding but are a little pricey. This time of year, though, you may a good deal. Good luck and let us know what you decide! I'm so psyched there will be another Diva on Celebs!:clap:

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
OK, one more thing and then I'll shut up! :D A lot of park skis that have forward-mounted or center-mounted bindings are very soft...their tips and tails are designed for "buttering" and thus are more flexible than a regular ski. Therefore, when you have a forward binding on this type of ski, the longer tails are more flexible and don't grab QUITE as much. Still, watch how these guys ski the hill...it looks a little odd.

I also own the Mynx that SkiNowWorkLater has. Like she says, they are very soft, and so are more suited for a center mount binding.

My 2-year-old "new" Celebs are of a slightly different construction and are a softer ski...thus making them a bit better candidate for a forward binding position.

If anyone here disagrees with my comments, please speak up!

veggielasagna

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
https://www.evogear.com/alpine-ski-bindings/salomon-z12-ti-b90-90mm-brake-2008.aspx

Check those out...I just had a pair mounted on my Public Enemy's. I believe your skis have a 90mm waist? They are pretty light compared to alot of other bindings...I was impressed on the first trip up the lift (no foot rests : )) Anyways, haven't been able to test them much yet, but I decided on them after mush research and help from the divas and other forums. Sounds like they would really be a good fit for what you want to do with the ski...oh yah, and that price at the link above is well...awesome, that's where I got mine :thumbsup:

-veggielasagna

Vanhoskier is correct on all counts. The Jesters BTW start at a DIN setting of 6, and many of us have lower settings (I am currently 5.5). Next year's version is supposed to start at a lower DIN setting as is the Marker Duke's. Both bindings are pricey though.

pb&jane

Certified Ski Diva
oops, i think I just deleted my msg! Anyway, all great info! Z12s sound like the right choice, esp. for the price! I may pick up a pair for my husband as well - although a guy on Epic recommend Rossi Axial 2 120 Lifter and the Look PX12 Lifter. hmmmm.
Anyone know if last year's (06-07) Celebrity is the same as this year's? May be able to get a better price on them and like the grafix better(!). Also, I'm debating between the 165 and the 172. I ski on 170's now and felt good on the 1080 Gun 174s. But maybe I'll have more fun on the 165's? That's what I demo'ed.... oh the choices!

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Last year's Celebs are exactly the same as this year's, so if you can get them, go for it (I like those graphics better, too!) I ski 172's, and I'm 5'10" and 160 lb. You could go with either length, since you're strong and athletic. If you demo'ed the shorter length and liked them, and they handled well in the conditions you ski, then go for them; they will give you more maneuverability, including 360's! :ski3:

Good luck!

pb&jane

Certified Ski Diva
okayyyy! I'm going to order 'em to my in-laws up in VT so they'll be waiting for me next time I get up there (not soon enough!).
Here's another dumb question: so I order the skis and bindings and take everything to a trusted local ski shop (anyone have a favorite shop near Woodstock, Killington, or Waitsfield, Vt?) to mount the bindings?

vanhoskier

Angel Diva
Make a new post to ask this question, to make sure the Vermont divas see it. Or if you find a shop up there, with the bindings you want, you could call ahead, have the bindings put aside, then bring in the skis for them to mount. Shops will mount your own skis and bindings you bring in for a fee (I've done this) but they tend to be happier if you purchase something there.

pb&jane

Certified Ski Diva
GOOD idea. The buying the bindings at the shop occurred to me, too. I may have to do some calling around.... And I'll start a new post about the VT shops.
Okay, back to baking bread. NOT as fun as skiing, but it tastes good!
thanks again for so much helpful info.

veggielasagna

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Depends on the shop...most will mount..that's what I did with my shop, but I have heard with some that won't. Cost is usually around $40-50 to mount from my experience. Let us know what you decide on!

-veggielasagna

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna