• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Best travel bags for skis/boots/gear?

vs28

Diva in Training
First off, apologies if there’s already a thread about this - would appreciate if someone could link it out since I can’t seem to figure out how to effectively use the search tool :crazy:

I’m wondering if anyone has any recs for good ski bags and separately, boot or duffel bags that’s standard carryon size and can fit boots/helmet/ski jacket and pants etc. I’m eyeing the Dakine padded ski sleeve for skis/poles but am a bit overwhelmed by all the other choices out there. I’ve heard good things about the North Face duffels and wonder if the medium size could possibly work for boots and everything else. Ideally looking for something that can work for road trips and domestic flights. Has anyone had any experience with these or similar gear?

Jilly

Staff member

marzNC

Angel Diva
I’m wondering if anyone has any recs for good ski bags and separately, boot or duffel bags that’s standard carryon size and can fit boots/helmet/ski jacket and pants etc. I’m eyeing the Dakine padded ski sleeve for skis/poles but am a bit overwhelmed by all the other choices out there. I’ve heard good things about the North Face duffels and wonder if the medium size could possibly work for boots and everything else. Ideally looking for something that can work for road trips and domestic flights. Has anyone had any experience with these or similar gear?
Welcome! What airline do you plan to fly? Many Divas like Southwest because 2 checked bags are free, which makes is easier to justify having a ski bag and a checked suitcase.

I went for a hard case that could handle 2 pairs of skis back in 2010 even though I usually only bring one pair. That meant I could bring my daughter's skis when I did a spring break trip with her when she was a tween, or I could buy a pair of skis and get them home.

I never check my boots when starting a ski trip that involves flying. Started with a Transpack Sidekick but changed over to a rolling boot bag that looks like a suitcase after a few years. I still have a Sidekick as a boot bag that I use when driving or flying. Without boots, I can put the Sidekick under a seat when the helmet isn't attached. So it functions as a general backpack for travel days and a regular boot bag on ski days.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What @marzNC said.

--Be sure the ski bag you buy has wheels. This is a big plus. That way the weight won't be a problem as you lug the ski bag around in the airport. You can stuff ski clothes in the bag and maybe a helmet too, along with your skis. I've never had the airline complain that I had clothes and a helmet in my ski bag.

--Never, ever, check your ski boots. If your checked bags are delayed, and this does happen because of winter storms, you'll have to wear rental boots on day one. The airline will probably pay for rental boots, but rentals fit poorly and can ruin your first day of skiing while you wait for your lost bags to arrive. I stuff my boots into whatever piece of luggage I own that will both hold them and fit in the overhead storage bin. I put the things I'll absolutely need for the first ski day in there too - ski pants, etc. I wear my ski jacket onto the plane.... Delayed skis are not as big a problem since the airline will usually pay for rental skis. You can consider it a free demo day.

--Southwest is always my choice because of the free two checked bags they give you. And there's more. Southwest counts a ski bag plus a recognizable ski boot bag as ONE checked bag. So put clothes in a boot bag, not your boots, and check it along with your skis. Then you can check one more bag without paying a fee.

--If your boot bag has shoulder straps, you can carry it around in the airport hands free.

--If you're going to have to change planes, be sure the layover on the way out is long enough to give baggage handlers time to move your bags from one plane to the other even if the first plane arrives late. This helps avoid lost bags. If you are OK with a late arrival of your skis when you get home, you can book a shorter layover for the flight back.

Last edited:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
So put clothes in a boot bag, not your boots, and check it along with your skis. Then you can check one more bag without paying a fee.
Now this is something I never thought of doing. However, it would rather difficult to deal with all your bags to and from the airport. But a great idea !

I have traveled to Europe many times to ski and dragging in airports and on trains the following:
Padded rolling snowboard bag with extra stuff - jackets, snow boots, ski pants
Huge rolling duffel with clothes
Boot bag with back pack straps OR
Old patagonia carry on with backpack straps
Purse or Tote bag with essentials.

Learning to pair down....... now have rolling boot bag carry on, smaller rolling duffel, same old padded snowboard bag..... Do I really need a different outfit for every day? No.

Jilly

Staff member
Check with your airline about putting anything else in the ski bag. Air Canada here in Canada DOES NOT allow it. Their baggage information states only skis and poles in the bag. In fact they took my husbands stuff out and packed it into a cardboard box. We had always used a double ski bag. 1 pair of skis and anything that was bulky.

I too have a hard plastic ski carrier. Sportube is the brand. Again our lovely Air Canada at one time stated only hard plastic for skis and golf clubs. Too many claims I guess.

Boots - I've had too much work done to mine to allow them out of my sight!! I have a bag from Salomon called the "go to ski" bag. Not sure if it's still available. It carries my boots, DSLR camera, laptop and sunglasses etc. I'm not too worried about my helmet. I skied in a toque for years...

So for a week of skiing I would have:
1 sportube with skis and poles and I slide in pair of hiking shoes usually.
1 "go to ski" bag, carry on, laptop, goggles, boots, sunglasses, camera, boot heaters batteries, meds..
1 checked bag - Atomic ski duffle, lots of room and 2 exterior pockets.
1 personal - purse, but it's a small backpack really.

2 years ago I was supposed to be competing in France. For that summer trip, I purchased a rolling bag from Eddie Bauer that could be used as a carry on. The idea was it could become my winter carry on too. Lots of room and better use on a bag/money spent.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
@Jilly 's post just reminded me I was at Gatwick (London) transferring to Vienna, and British Airways made me take some things out of my snowboard bag as claimed only skis and poles allowed in bag.

racetiger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So far I've only flown Delta and Sun country with skis. Delta recognized skis bag and boot bag as one checked bag. It was $30.
Sun country though while they counted boot and ski bag as one, it was $40 And the carryon was also $40
On both trips I had poles and a few clothing items and some snacks in the ski bag and nothing was said.

Après Skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like the Dakine padded skis sleeve. It doesn’t have wheels but it has good quality padding. There have been times when I‘ve cursed under my breath schlepping all the gear around and wishing I had wheels, but for the most part I just grab a trolley at the airport and everything turns out fine.

For boots I use an inexpensive basic boot bag. Living in SoCal, I fly to most of my ski trips. Every airline I’ve flown counts my skis bag + boot bag as one item. The luggage policies require only only skis, boots, and poles in the bags (no additional clothing or equipment)… I’ve never been subject to control, but I know someone who has. I just follow the rule because the last thing I want is to start pulling things apart at the airport counter. I also have never succeeded in printing out my “extra” ski boot luggage tag at the automated luggage check-in so I usually wander around a bit until I find personnel to help me. Some people are very careful with their ski boots and carry them aboard the plane… I don’t have the energy for that and prefer to check my boots.

My only other advice it’s to check the first class fare. Now that airlines nickel and dime for luggage, sometimes you can fly first class for almost the same price as economy class with checked luggage. And since first class includes luggage… You get the picture.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga