• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Best trail names.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
We've done best ski names (in the Gear section). But what about trails? Are there any names that stand out for you?

Post em here, along with where they're from.

Lola

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There is a fantastically fun trail at Big Mountain in Montana called "Moe-mentum" and it is named after US Olympic Skier Tommy Moe. I think that's a neat name.

Jilly

Staff member
I've seen a few:
Lily's Leap at Owl's Head - looks over the lake and at one point you look like you could just leap into the lake
Korman's Dive at Owl's Head - right down the front face, under the chair of course.
Haute Tension - Tremblant. means high tension - its a double black and again under the chair
There are two I hate at Tremblant - Sissy Schuss and Fuddle Duddle. They are both beginner runs on the North side. I keep thinking or hoping that Fuddle Duddle was named after our former PM's miscue in Parliament, but I think that it was there long before that.
I'm going to have to call up that skimap website for a few more.:smile:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I never thought about trail names much until last year when I took a girlfriend skiing for her first time.
She took one look at the trail map and said............
"I'm NOT doing anything called Gorge, Nose Dive, Wipe out, or Thor. Giggles, Emmy, and Easy street, however, seem to be hills I may want to attempt!"

cnewbound

Certified Ski Diva
"Zali's"- Perisher Blue, OZ. It used to be named Stampead but got changed after Zali got 3rd place in the winter olympics.:smile:

chaletlaforet

Certified Ski Diva
"The Blow Hole" at Whistler. It's like a vertical tube, I've never seen anything like it! I thought it was some kind of natural formation.

"The Spin Dryer" - a steep mogul field in Sun Peaks. I felt like i'd been through the wringer as well!

ISki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
PDF and Jaws of Death. Mt. Snow.

Looks like they've since dropped the "of Death" part from Jaws.

Thatsagirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The first one that comes to mind is Deliverance at Jay. The name says it all. I also like the name Hell's Woods. ;)

A clever name: Alligator Alley, again at Jay. When they put the new Green Mountain Flyer in, it goes higher up the mountain than the chair it replaced, so they had to put the liftline right through Everglade, dividing Everglade into two sections. You might need to think about that for a moment to "get" it...

Most resorts come up with some great names for their advanced and expert trails. Here are a few:

Crested Butte: Cesspool, Sock It To Me, Body Bag Glades, Dead Bob's Chute, Dead End Chutes, Close Call, Good Luck Glades, Pinball, Drop Off

Alta: Devil's Castle, So Long, Sidewinder, Glory Hole, Rock Gully, Punch Bowl, Stimulation, Stone Crusher, Amen

Snowbird: High Stakes, Double Down, Livin' The Dream, S.T.H. (what do you think those letters stand for? ;) ), Barry Barry Steep

Kicking Horse: CPR Ridge, Terminator Peak, High Horse, Double Header, Hail Mary, Redemption Ridge

Fernie: Anaconda Glades, Gotta Go, Bootleg Glades, Decline, Knot Chutes, Big Bang, Corner Pocket, Sky Dive, Boomerang

Sunshine Village: Hell's Kitchen, Ecstasy, Bye Bye Bowl, Delerium Dive, The Wild West, Virgin Chutes, O.S. Pitch (what do you think O.S. stands for? ;) ), Think Again, Stampede, The Farside, The Wild Side, Mother In Law, Schoolmarm (think about why that's a great name for an expert run), Goatsucker Glade, Goatchicken Glade

Lake Louise: The Diamond Mine, Elevator Shaft, Rock Garden, Lookout Chutes, Mineshaft, The Edge, Fallen Angel, Wounded Knee, Bad Boy, Devil's Thumb, Free Fall, Ghastly, Hang On, Deception Ridge

And most resorts have a trail known as Toilet Bowl or Flush, sometimes on the map but usually not...

Goodness, there are so many others...

Thatsagirl

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Awful, Awful at the now defunct Sugarloaf MI. So named by someone looking down from the top saying "that's just Awful....Awful!".

And AAA at the same hill. It was originally the tow rope path up the back of the mountain and was so steep the rope had to run at around 25 miles an hour to pull people up it. You could burn through a pair of gloves in one trip if your grip wasn't sufficient. When they put a chair in back there, they turned it into a run. It's super steep, never groomed, and about 2 ski lengths wide. AAA stands for Awful, Awful, AWFUL!

lil mountain girl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Kicking Horse: CPR Ridge

it just occured to me that i think kicking horse was going for the Canadian Pacific Railway (?) version of CPR instead of what everyone might be thinking . . . :D

Sunshine Village: Hell's Kitchen, Mother In Law

also names of some river rapids in bc!

some local names i enjoy here are ruby monday, ruby tuesday, and enchanted forest.
some other great names of local backcountry areas are trash chutes, lunchbox (named for highway workers who skied the run on their lunch break!) and knarlfactor :smile:

skigirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Trail Names

CLIMAX, Nail Driver, Waterfall, Widowmaker, The Hoist, Powder Keg, and Dynamite!!! All at Park City.

persee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Only a few come to mind...

Attitash : Idiot's Option and Chicken's Option (two routes around the same area - first is a black, second is a blue/green. I just find this funny.

Sunday River : Agony - this is always a nasty mogulfield (intentional) under a lift line. Very appropriate name as most of the people I see trying to ski it look like they are in pure agony.

Greeley

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How could I ever forget Greeley at Alta?
It is named after my dog, or is my dog named after the run?

abc

Banned
The best one I come across is in Copper (or Beckenridge?) but it's not official. It's nickname "Oh Shiit". Why?

It's blue'ish grade at the begining, even though it's marked black. And it's wide as a highway. So a lot of shaky intermediates took it, thinking it's just an easy black they could just traver their way down, if the worst comes.

But after 20 yards, the trail just DROPS. It's one of the steeper trails of the entire resort, and quite often skied off to the icy base. So the first thing that came to their mind, after a hasty awkward stop, was "Oh Shiit!" ;) -- like, how the heck am I going to get down!!

There's a trail having similar characteristic in Jungfrau. It's call "Oh God!" This one is official.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna