• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Best ski runs in the world

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
According to CNN, these are the 100 best ski runs in the world.

Of course, I think the best runs are the ones YOU enjoy the most. But that's must me.

So what are YOUR favorite runs? Post 'em here.

Wasatch Girl

Diva in Training
Catherine's Area at Alta is my happy place, so I'm with Brody Leven (#71) on that one. I also love Gunsight (Alta), and the X-Files Trees beyond the Daley Chutes at Deer Valley. Would love to hit every one of those in the list!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Catherine's Area at Alta is my happy place, so I'm with Brody Leven (#71) on that one. I also love Gunsight (Alta), and the X-Files Trees beyond the Daley Chutes at Deer Valley. Would love to hit every one of those in the list!

As a huge X-Files nerd, I love the name of those trees. :love:

Only run I know for certain that I've skied on that list is Skyward at Whiteface. No other names stood out to me as anything I recognized as having skied.

Christy

Angel Diva
You can tell that really, really good skiers put that together as the Hahnenkamm, Saslong and the Lauberhorn are included. It's no small feat to ski runs that are currently used for World Cup racing as they stay icy all year.

The W-B inclusions are interesting--I've skied those runs on Blackcomb many times (Zig Zag, Ross's Gold, Ridge Runner....) and can never keep them straight. They didn't make as much of an impression on me I guess. Including Burnt Stew is odd as it is a cat track!

Après Skier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Several on this list I would like to try especially...
la Vallée Blanche, Chamonix, France It is the longest ski run in the world: 20km/12.5miles with a vertical drop of 2700m/8,850ft. It requires hiring a mountain guide and departing from the magnificent Aiguille du Midi From reports I've read, a confident upper-intermediate should be capable of safely navigating the slope.

Other favorites of mine did not make the list:
Stein's Way at Deer Valley I love the view!
Ruins of Pompeii at Deer Valley Dreamlike fluffy steep moguls on a powder day.

alison wong

Angel Diva
Only recognized 5 names (at most) on the list, even though I have been to several resorts mentioned there, JH, Alta, Aspen Highland.

Burnt Stew at WB, it is a cat track / traverse, when I went in 2016 (?), it was not even on their trail map. But Google Map has it. It did have impressive views, I enjoyed it back then.

Of the 100 runs, the only one on my bucket list is La Face at Val D'Isere. It is a world cup downhill course. When I visited, it was groomed but I did not have the skills to ski it that time. So I am determined to go back (some day) and ski it.

Now I am intrigued to check out Deer Valley.

kiki

Angel Diva
I was surprised to see my favorite run at WB on there—did not expect to see something at my skill level on the list lol!

79. Ross Gold, Blackcomb, British Columbia

it’s awesome as it is a long steep flat (sideways Ie no weird pitch) run under the gondola. They don’t always groom it— when it’s groomed it is the perfect spot to do carving turns, and when ungroomed fun to pick through slowly. A very satisfying run. It is not open often as they block it off for the racers but this season there is no racing so I have been able to do it a few times.

StayWarm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My favorite run is at Powder Mountain -- it doesn't have a name on the trail maps, but does have a little wooden sign pinned to a tree (I think it might be called Richard's Run, but I can't quite remember). My husband and I call it "our" run.

It's a perfectly-pitched run with perfectly-spaced trees that typically hides a lot of powder, is almost always empty, and is very similar to the run that appears in this Burton video filmed at PowMow: https://www.burton.com/us/en/content/one-world-episode-1.html.

Tvan

Angel Diva
I have a couple of favorites that will probably never hit anyone's radar but mine.

• I really love Okemo's Tuckered Out. It's a great mix of views, hairpin turns, rollers, and fun, windy paths through the woods.
  • I have a love-hate relationship with Sugarbush's Jester. I love the views, the hairpin turns, rollers and fun, windy paths through the woods. What I don't love is the feeling that if you miss the turn, you will fly off into oblivion.
  • I also have a soft spot for Craig's Run in the Stratton Tamarack area. Yes, it's green. Yes, it's short. But it winds through the woods and it's the first run I made parallel turns on. I have always loved it for that.

Divegirl

Angel Diva
Wachusett - Balance Rock - nice, tight old NE trail thru the woods with some nice sharp turns

Snowshoe - I think it's called J-Hook - nice narrow little trail thru some woods if I remember right.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I counted 10 and 2 are quite famous (@teppaz would like this):

*Lauberhorn in Wengen, Switzerland
*Hahnekamm in Kitzbuhel, Austria

Others:
Matterhorn Glacier Paradis - Zermatt, Switz
Swiss Wall - Avoriaz in the Portes du Soleil
Tortin - (about 1/2 of the run) in Verbier, Switz
Grand Paradis - Avoriaz in the Portes du Soleil
The Wall - Kirkwood, California
Blackcomb Glacier - Blackcomb, BC]
Dave Murray downhill - Whistler, BC
Cornice Bowl - Mammoth

Patronainthe801

Certified Ski Diva
Several on this list I would like to try especially...
la Vallée Blanche, Chamonix, France It is the longest ski run in the world: 20km/12.5miles with a vertical drop of 2700m/8,850ft. It requires hiring a mountain guide and departing from the magnificent Aiguille du Midi From reports I've read, a confident upper-intermediate should be capable of safely navigating the slope.

Other favorites of mine did not make the list:
Stein's Way at Deer Valley I love the view!
Ruins of Pompeii at Deer Valley Dreamlike fluffy steep moguls on a powder day.
I'm with you on Stein's Way for the view...but last week it was beyond icy. Hard pass. After two runs down it and Tycoon, I sadly tucked my tail between my legs and went back to Nabob. I need to work on my ice skills.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I have a couple of favorites that will probably never hit anyone's radar but mine.
  • I have a love-hate relationship with Sugarbush's Jester. I love the views, the hairpin turns, rollers and fun, windy paths through the woods. What I don't love is the feeling that if you miss the turn, you will fly off into oblivion.

Jester is one of my absolute favorite runs and the reason why I fell deeply in love with sliding on snow. I could lap it all morning on a sunny day. @ski diva and I hit it quite a number of times on Wednesday. I was back for more this morning.

teppaz

Angel Diva

Others:
Cornice Bowl - Mammoth

From the World Cup race courses, Lauberhorn, Hahnenkamm and Olympia are definitely on my list. (Not on the CNN list but one I'd love to do is Chuenisbärgli in Adelboden — my favorite GS to watch.)

From the list I'd pick No. 66, Aiguille Rouge, as my favorite: 6,500 ft of vertical and around uninterrupted 5 miles. We did it in one go, stopping briefly maybe 2-3 times. Needless to say we ended up with burning thighs. I also felt a little dizzy toward the end, maybe due to the quick altitude change and lack of water — I felt better as soon as I drank (and treated myself to a hearty alpine lunch).

And, CNN? "Dominique Gisin loves the first run he ever skied"? Dominique Gisin is a woman!

Tvan

Angel Diva
Jester is one of my absolute favorite runs and the reason why I fell deeply in love with sliding on snow. I could lap it all morning on a sunny day. @ski diva and I hit it quite a number of times on Wednesday. I was back for more this morning.

i look forward to joining you on a Jester run once we are able! Maybe you can share your secret to avoiding agita about going over the edge into the clouds!

Christy

Angel Diva

Others:
Cornice Bowl - Mammoth

You've skied those top 2?? I remember Pinto saying she tried to traverse across the Hahnenkamm once and how treacherous it was to even do that because of the water injection.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Yes I think we skipped a small section of the Hahnekamm b/c of icy moguls. The snow was really nice IIRC everywhere else. The Hahnekamm was in 2017 and the Lauberhorn was a few years earlier. They're groomed runs and obviously not rock hard and icy like in the competition.

teppaz

Angel Diva
I'm pretty sure they inject only for races so this applies only to a few days a year. I don't even think recreational skiers are even allowed on the course after it's been prepped.

I've skied a few race courses as a civilian, ie slowly and by making lots of turns!
- Birds of Prey at Beaver Creek (I think most of it is on Golden Eagle)
- Superstar at Killington
- the women's downhill course from the 2002 Olympics at Snowbasin, on Wildflower. The men's downhill was on Grizzly and the start was really scary the day I was there — I just couldn't do it. Even the cat track to get from the top of the tram to the women's start was daunting.
- I did the runs used for the 2017 FIS world cup finals at Aspen Snowmass when they were being prepared but obviously before they started injecting: Ruthie's Run, Aztec and onto Snowpile.

Once you start doing those runs, it becomes addictive — and you watch the races in a completely different way. If I ever have the time and $$$, I'd love to take a few weeks and hit some of the European ones I've seen on TV #LifeGoals

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna