• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Best places to ski with kids in NH, VT & ME?

naskis

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What's your favorite place to ski with kids in NH?

Our fav this year is Pats peak - about 1:15 away, small enough for our little guy to feel safe, has greens to keep me happy, and blacks + terrain park to keep my oldest ds happy (somewhat - he likes it big and challenging).

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Just NH or all of NNE? Have heard nothing but raves (though I've not been) about Smuggs, VT. Great kids' programs, always seem to rank way up there in family friendliness in NE.

naskis

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks! I heard lots of good things about it too.

Both - with NH (oh so close!) we can do day trips, VT & ME are more of weekend-long destinations for us.

MSL, what do you think about Sunday River?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Honestly? I think it's very crowded. I worry about kids at Sunday River, unless they are in a kids' program there (River Runners, etc.). Unless you can break away during the week. Personally, I think nearby Mt Abram is a better choice if you want to ski as a family. That being said, the one good thing about Sunday River is that skier traffic starts to diminish considerably as the season moves into March. After mid-March, it's starting to get pretty quiet and is a reasonable option.

atlantiqueen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Honestly? I think it's very crowded. I worry about kids at Sunday River, unless they are in a kids' program there (River Runners, etc.). Unless you can break away during the week. Personally, I think nearby Mt Abram is a better choice if you want to ski as a family. That being said, the one good thing about Sunday River is that skier traffic starts to diminish considerably as the season moves into March. After mid-March, it's starting to get pretty quiet and is a reasonable option.

SR is my home mountain and I agree 100% with MSL
It has great terrain (including terrain parks) but on a Saturday in peak season is VERY crowded.

This week is not so bad and next week will be even better.

There are some nice green runs and a good children's program but know when you're going...

fatoots

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One thing I will say about Sunday River is that if you are planning a vacation and staying trailside they have some fun things for kids like tubing, s'more roasting, arcades.

I am lucky that my kids have been in their programs, so I never gave much thought to the crowds and safety. My little one has had all the mogul coaches around his finger since the first season four years ago. He knows so many people there, and the mountain trails better than he knows our neighborhood.

edited to add--- I haven't been there but I heard King Pine recently renovated and a friend skis there ofter with her young kids and think it's great.

naskis

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you very much Divas!
We got to try new places ;) (and SR later in the season).

nelsapbm

Certified Ski Diva
Burke

Check out Burke Mountain in VT. It's about 3 hours from Boston depending on traffic and where in the metro you are leaving from.
Burke has a practically separate beginner area with nice, long, gentle trails.
The upper mountain has great upper-intermediate terrain. Lots of steep cruisers and good tree runs.
Crowds are pretty much a non-issue. It's the kind of place you can let your kids loose on their own.
www.skiburke.com

playoutside

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Bromley is a great choice for families. They even have family fridays which are really reasonably priced if you can get there. Good variety of terrain, homey feel, not a zoo on weekends. Often sunny. Check the calendar though to be sure you don't go on "Scout" day...too crowded for words, esp in the lodge.

Loneskier

Diva in Training
Gunstock

I have a season pass at Gunstock and I really enjoy skiing there.
It has fabulous views of lake Winni. It is a really family friendly mountain. This year they have had a ton of snow. My Mom has a house in Laconia and I don't recall there being this much snow on the ground at this time of the year. :smile:

SaddlebackGirl

Diva in Training
A great place for family skiing is Saddleback Mountain in Maine. It is still quiet and a good atmosphere to learn how to ski. There is a good family feel here and a nice northern New England town. Maybe the kids will get to see some moose too!:ski2:

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Cool! Thanks!

Any opinions on Sunapee or Gunstock, NH?

definitely do Sunapee. The beginner slopes are totally separate from the rest of the trails, on the other side of the parking lot. You can ski over to them tho, so it's not like you have to walk far. Perfect for kids and Matt and myself when we want to try some boarding.

I personally was not crazy about Gunstock, just too many bad experiences there this year and last.

naskis

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What kind of bad experiences? Staff related?
(BTW, my little guy outskiing me now.. He wants to know when he can do moguls - I can't follow him there.)

Swamp Dog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
well, we went on opening weekend this year and the snow was lousy. There was not as many trails open as advertised, and some on the open ones should not have been open. There were more bare spots than snow-covered places. It's NE exposure tends to make for some very cold and windy days on the slopes too.

I find the lodge to be awful far from the chair lifts, at least as compared to other places that we like to go.

And my gloves were stolen, practically right under my nose.

On the plus side, my son liked his boarding instructor. Said he was good and like his style of teaching. Matt says he got a lot from that lesson.

How old is your son?

<edit to add>

we've NEVER had a lousy experience at Sunapee. A few years ago Matt accidentally left the liner of his jacket there. I called and spoke with someone who went and looked thru lost and found. They found it and shipped it back to me. Stuff like that goes a long way with me :smile:

naskis

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have two: 12 and 6 yo.

The 12 yo one is a pro - he skis everything. Loves moguls and glades.

The 6 yo started skiing last year and now developed real hunger for skiing:smile:
He wants to go faster, do jumps (and he does some at a small terrain park) and do "fun" things (trees, bumps...)

MaryLou

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have two: 12 and 6 yo.

The 12 yo one is a pro - he skis everything. Loves moguls and glades.

The 6 yo started skiing last year and now developed real hunger for skiing:smile:
He wants to go faster, do jumps (and he does some at a small terrain park) and do "fun" things (trees, bumps...)

I'm a FT Sunday River skier with 3 kids and don't agree with the other Maine Moms (sorry ;-) ) Especially based on the description of your kids. Green glades, green trail with practice moguls on the side, little/safe jaunts through the woods they can take on their own are great for the youngsters. I don't want mine to only know groomers, and SR has so much variety for most levels. Sure, it depends on the conditions, but in the dead of winter there is so much. If you stay at the So. Ridge beginner lodge, you're looking at crowds and chairlift wait, but if you get off that, you're fine.

I'm not at the point of letting my just turned 12yo loose on the mountain, so not sure if that's the expectation of your 12yo. Maybe next year I could..but she'll get lost getting out of our driveway...so she's not a good representation of all 12yos lol. I also have a 7yo that loves glades (even a black), and can handle anything, because she's been thrown into it all at SR.

naskis

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We found another small family friendly GREAT place - Crotched mnt, NH.
Went there on Sat and Sunday and had a great time! My 6 yo ds decided that they have the best terrain park ever (big and steep, lots of good jumps). My boys skied all over the place from greens to blacks and had a blast! Definitely coming back next year. I need get more comfortable on blues before we can move on to Sunapee etc :rolleyes:
(Yeah... I'm the one who holds everyone back. Oh well...)

BTW, the lodge is nice - they even have starbucks coffee and food priced quite reasonable too...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga