• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

best places to ski in slc,utah?

shelbyr

Certified Ski Diva
Hi all,

A group of us Idaho skiers are probably heading southeast to SLC this Feb. Wondering where we should go? I've never skiied there. We are all pretty good skiers and looking for the ultimate Utah ski experience. Any ideas? :confused:

altagirl

Staff member
What are you looking for? Just skiing? Expert terrain, great grooming, no crowds? Nightlife? Shopping?

shelbyr

Certified Ski Diva
Probably a little bit of everything, but less on the crowds. We want to ski some of that famous Utah powder! Hopefully I can make it the whole week! :laugh: Would you suggest just staying in downtown SLC or is it more fun to stay up on the hill? I think the idea right now is to hit 4-5 resorts. I'm not really familiar with the area and I don't know how far away everything is from one another.

altagirl

Staff member
Probably a little bit of everything, but less on the crowds. We want to ski some of that famous Utah powder! Hopefully I can make it the whole week! :laugh: Would you suggest just staying in downtown SLC or is it more fun to stay up on the hill? I think the idea right now is to hit 4-5 resorts. I'm not really familiar with the area and I don't know how far away everything is from one another.

So if you're wanting to hit that many places, I'd find a place in Salt Lake City / Midvale / Sandy. This gives you a nice central location and then you can go to different resorts more easily. If you were to base in Park City or Big or Little Cottonwood canyon, you'd end up driving twice as far when you want to go to another place.

Basically you have Alta and Snowbird in Little Cottonwood Canyon (LCC). Alta is skiing only and Snowbird doesn't have much beginner/intermediate terrain. Good snow, but they get crowded.

Big Cottonwood has Brighton and Solitude. Brighton has a lot of snowboarders and Solitude has a good mix of terrain and very few people skiing it. That's probably your best bet for uncrowded and good snow.

Park City has PCMR, the Canyons, and Deer Valley (also skiing only). PCMR is more known for terrain parks. The canyons and Deer Valley have better terrain. If you stay up there, there's more apres-ski, shopping, nightlife, etc. It's more like a traditional ski town, where SLC is just a normal city and Sandy/Midvale are typical suburbia.

You should also hit Snowbasin and Powder Mountain, which are towards Ogden, but a reasonable drive from SLC. Those are also likely to be less crowded. Snowbasin has everything from challenging technical terrain to the best high speed rolling groomers around, great lifts, and spectacular lodges. Also a super nice restaurant at the top of the mountain that's worth eating at. Powder mountain is very uncrowded and quaint. You can get untracked powder by skiing off the side through the trees and catch the bus at the bottom, and they also have extremely cheap cat skiing there as well.

I'd go with one in each area for the overall experience.

shelbyr

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks for the info! We will definitely take all that in to consideration. Sounds like we'll probably stay in the downtown area. We've talked about all those resorts, except Powder Mtn. Might have to check in to that some more....

IdahoSkiGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks shelbyr for starting this thread! shelbyr and myself are really excited for this trip...we started conditioning at the gym just for this week of skiing :smile: We originally were thinking of going to Northern Idaho and Montana but Utah has been getting better storms...so we are changing plans (unless Montana gets hit with some big storms the next week).

I have not been to slc for several years but I really enjoyed Alta/Snowbird in the past. I had some good times in Mineral Basin. I'm making a big push with our Idaho group to spend several days there.

We did not have powder mountain on the list but I have heard about the amazing powder from friends who grew up in Ogden. I think we will have to include it now :smile:

As a side note...if any of the SLC divas want to meet up with us and show us around that could be a lot of fun :becky:

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Another option is to stay in more than one place. We did a week-long trip 2 years ago and stayed 3 days in park city and 3 days in LCC. While staying in Park City we did one day each at Park City, Deer Valley and the Canyons (using the free city buses). Then we took a shuttle over to LCC and stayed at Snowbird and skiied 3 days at Snowbird & Alta. That way you get a little bit of the park city nightlife plus the snowbird/alta skiing. It was a fun way to do it if you're looking for a little bit of everything.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga