• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Best Northeast mountains for adv. beginner?

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
One more thing about Bretton Woods. They are building a gondola. It's not finished. This will impact the opening of terrain. Some parts of the mountain won't be open until they get done taking cranes up the hill loaded with big heavy steel towers and such. Dates for getting terrain open and gondola done are not published, probably because they don't know.

@knolan12, when are you going up?

marzNC

Angel Diva
I can't speak about Waterville Valley, but as the most southern large ski resort in Vermont, Mount Snow gets plenty busy. People from NY or CT get over the state line and STOP.
Do you think Mt. Snow is more crowded on weekends than Okemo or Stratton? Those are the places I think of as full blown "ski resorts" in southern VT. All three are on a multi-resort pass this season, Peak, Epic, Ikon respectively. Could make them even more crowded until people driving up and staying overnight figure out what works and what doesn't.

Having stayed at Jiminy Peak a couple times last winter, I get the sense that the families who are regulars there appreciate that although it's a bit smaller in terms of terrain, it's also less crazy crowded compared to Mt. Snow or the ski areas in the Catskills that are even closer to NYC/NJ. Unlike Berkshire East, Jiminy feels like a ski resort since there is plenty of lodging near the base and a high speed lift to the top. BEast is known to be uncrowded on weekends and a bargain, but the lifts are slooow.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Do you think Mt. Snow is more crowded on weekends than Okemo or Stratton? Those are the places I think of as full blown "ski resorts" in southern VT. All three are on a multi-resort pass this season, Peak, Epic, Ikon respectively. Could make them even more crowded until people driving up and staying overnight figure out what works and what doesn't.

As someone who's not a weekend skier, I honestly can't say. Crowded is crowded, and my guess is that Mt. Snow is pretty bad, just based on its location. Then again, all the larger ones are crowded on weekends -- at least to me. The smaller resorts are better, I think. Suicide Six, for example, or Quechee, or even Pico are less nuts than the larger resorts, and all three have good beginner terrain.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How do the crowds on weekends compare between Mt. Snow and Waterville Valley? Snow seems to have more people driving from NYC or CT, while Waterville Valley is easier to reach from Boston or RI.

I haven't been to Waterville in a few years but never felt as crowded as Mt. Snow did in the same time frame. I think the Boston skiers, unless they know and like WV, are more likely to stay closer to Rt. 93. Loon gets mobbed. Cannon less so, since it has the cold, icy reputation (often deserved). If you do head to Waterville, observe the speed limits carefully! Stopping skiers is a big revenue source on the local roads! Same advice on Sunapee once you get off Rt. 89.

knolan12

Angel Diva
One more thing about Bretton Woods. They are building a gondola. It's not finished. This will impact the opening of terrain. Some parts of the mountain won't be open until they get done taking cranes up the hill loaded with big heavy steel towers and such. Dates for getting terrain open and gondola done are not published, probably because they don't know.

@knolan12, when are you going up?

Ah yes, I saw that in the other thread where you wrote about it. Probably not till mid - end of January, do we think work will be done by then?

knolan12

Angel Diva
I haven't been to Waterville in a few years but never felt as crowded as Mt. Snow did in the same time frame. I think the Boston skiers, unless they know and like WV, are more likely to stay closer to Rt. 93. Loon gets mobbed. Cannon less so, since it has the cold, icy reputation (often deserved). If you do head to Waterville, observe the speed limits carefully! Stopping skiers is a big revenue source on the local roads! Same advice on Sunapee once you get off Rt. 89.

Ah we got pulled over the first time my husband brought me to Sunapee! I didn't even see a speed limit sign, but I'm sure that doesn't really matter.

SuperSkiMom

Certified Ski Diva
Hi @knolan12 ,

I am a bit late to respond. We are a NYC family of four that commutes almost every weekend for some good quality skiing. There are places closer to us, but they do not fit all of our wants. So for the past 5-6 years we have made Pico our home mountain, because:

1 - There is terrain for everyone. When we started going our daughter was only 3, and could not ski all the Double Blacks that she does now. When we have friends up who are not able "to do all the runs" we do it is easy to meet. The lower mountain has a good variety of Green/Blue Runs and if the conditions allow, our kids will go in the trees and not be bored. There are always drills we do, when we have guests.

2 - Everything goes down to one lodge. There are a lot of mountains, where if you don't ski together it is hard to meet back up. Especially if there are windholds, or limited open terrain, navigating back to a specific lodge can be complicated. We are lucky now where we can even send the kids in if they want to snack or warm up. Also, if the easier terrain is on one mountain and the advanced terrain is off of another lift, you don't get as much opportunity to meet back up.

3 - The Price is Appealing. Don't need to say more on that.

4 - Big Mountain next door. If you progress and find yourself wanting more terrain you can always go to the big sister mountain, Killington next door which has all the amenities. Makes it a good compromise even for those in your group that may not want to ski. There are days that we had friends up, who did not ski and they could meet us on the top of Peak Lodge for lunch and they even had a good time.

5 - You won't find the Crowds. Let's face it, the weather has been fickle and when it is good, it is gong to get crowded at most mountains. On peak days Killington will be busy, and you will be glad you are at Pico.

This is a video we filmed a few years ago at Pico. We have done a lot of videos at Pico, but I really think this one sums up our feeling of why Pico has become our second home in the Winter, especially the narration.

pico-summit.jpg
Summit of Pico looking back at Killington the day we filmed Redemption. March 2018

SuperSkiMom

Certified Ski Diva
As someone who's not a weekend skier, I honestly can't say. Crowded is crowded, and my guess is that Mt. Snow is pretty bad, just based on its location. Then again, all the larger ones are crowded on weekends -- at least to me. The smaller resorts are better, I think. Suicide Six, for example, or Quechee, or even Pico are less nuts than the larger resorts, and all three have good beginner terrain.
Mount Snow is known for its lift capacity, I think over 30,000+ passengers an hour? So if you want to stay around from crowds, Mt Snow, would probably not be the best option. It is also the first stop for many coming from NYC.

I have not skied Suicide Six, or Queechee, but it looks enticing to try out.

SuperSkiMom

Certified Ski Diva
I ski Okemo a lot, and have a friend who is getting bored with their greens but not quite confident on their blues. Curious what people say here. Also anybody have experience with how Sunapee compares? I have the epic local so it would be a great option for me
Sunapee is a nice option, I could see advanced skiers getting a bit bored after a while. It has some solid blues, and some pretty vistas of the lake from the top.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Interesting. Waterville had a huge booth at the Boston Ski Expo. Have done a bunch of capital improvements in the last year or two from what I can tell. 500 snow guns, a new peak, renovated base lodge, and RFID. In an unusual move, an upper mountain chairlift was replaced by a T-bar because then wind is less likely to shut down the lift. So I'm curious since it doesn't get mentioned often.

I pay attention to the speed limit signs on all 2-lane highways in New England. :wink:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I live in Vermont, and the state is essentially one big speed trap. My village has actually been rated by Vermont Public Radio as the worst of them all. To not get a ticket, I follow a very simple guideline: don't speed.

Dtrick924

Angel Diva
@marzNC I'm a midweek skier too but I would say that Mt. Snow on the weekend is comparable to Okemo and Stratton for crowds.

@MilkyWookiee Mt. Snow is known for being a mellow cruisers mountain, lovingly referred to by the racers as "Mt. Slow". Mt. Sunapee has a nice beginner area with greens and blues but I think the terrain off the main face is challenging. There is only one green trail from the top and even it has a few steeper pitches.

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@MilkyWookiee Mt. Snow is known for being a mellow cruisers mountain, lovingly referred to by the racers as "Mt. Slow". Mt. Sunapee has a nice beginner area with greens and blues but I think the terrain off the main face is challenging. There is only one green trail from the top and even it has a few steeper pitches.[/QUOTE]

Mount slow sounds like a great fit! I'll probably hit sunapee on a solo trip first before I take my friend. You know, taking one for the team since I'm the one with the pass. It's a selfless act really!

MilkyWookiee

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think Sunapee is a little more accessible of a mountain. I haven't skiied Okemo in a while, but it was never my favorite (I always felt like I was like stuck on the mountain haha Once you're on, you're on vs. skiing to the bottom). I thought the blues at Sunapee were good for someone who's still getting comfortable. I did one black diamond which wasn't bad (a few quick, steep hills with a great lake view) and did fine until I realized it was a black diamond and got mad and crossed my skis haha It does get pretty busy on the weekends as it's not far from Boston.

I took this same friend who finds okemos blues challenging down a very small segment of a black (the plunge) to get back to the main green off the top (mountain road). I just told her stay to the right so she'd avoid the moguls. Waited until her 3rd glass of wine at the end of the day to tell her she skied a black. She still panicked! Did great on the hill though!

Tvan

Angel Diva
Stratton doesn’t get a lot of mention on this site. Some call it “Flatton”, but Stratton has produced its share of Olympic athletes... Lindsey Jacobellis, for example.

I’ve skied both Bretton Woods and Stratton as a beginner, and find the terrain to be roughly equivalent. Bretton Woods is a 6-7 hour drive for us, while Stratton is only 3, so we have spent much more time at Stratton in the past decade.

When I was learning, I loved Stratton’s Tamarack area... all greens from several lifts, with a few blue variants. Once I got more advanced, it was an easy transition to Stratton’s blues, either from the Ursa lift, or from the Gondola. When traffic gets too busy on the main face, or when the wind is too cold, the Sun Bowl side has some really fun green and blue terrain that is sometimes very empty.

When my godchildren are still young and skied with us, they quickly learned to navigate the Tamarack area and were very happy to greens independently, while we branched off to the upper mountain. We’d meet back up at the mid-mountain lodge and it worked out well.

We’ve spent the last 8 Christmas breaks at Stratton. Typically, the snowmaking coverage is very good, as is the grooming. And when we need a break from the mountain, the mother of all independent bookstores, Northshire Books in Manchester, is a great place to spend an afternoon.

Soujan

Angel Diva
I love going to North Conway, NH. Can’t get bored because there are so many different mountains there. We go for a week and ski a different mountain everyday. I’ve been to Bretton Woods, Wildcat, Cannon, Black, and Cranmore. Black is a small hill that I had almost nobody on it midweek. Had fun just going up and down all day. Bretton Woods is definitely more tame and does remind me a lot of Stratton with its wide and straight trails. Sections of easy trees if you want to learn. Cranmore was jam packed on the weekend because it’s right in town. Cannon is not for the faint of heart with its steep terrain and icy conditions. I didn’t go anywhere near the Mittersill area. Loved Wildcat. When I first went there I even loved the green because it had rollers and I was going way faster than I should have been.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ski Okemo a lot, and have a friend who is getting bored with their greens but not quite confident on their blues. Curious what people say here. Also anybody have experience with how Sunapee compares? I have the epic local so it would be a great option for me

At Okemo, the Jackson Gore side is nice for advancing skiers because you can warm up on the green trails under the Coleman Brook chair and then take the bubble chair up and do Tuckered Out, which is an easy blue. Once that gets comfortable you can try Blue Moon, which has a bit more pitch, but is very wide.

Then you can go over to the Solitude area and do Screamin' Demon/heaven's gate and eventually take the Jack-a-lope trail back to the JK side.

That way you avoid the insanity of Lower Mountain road, which funnels skiers of all abilities down to the Sunburst chair and is a pinball-machine of people straightlining at MACH 1 and nervous new skiers moving slowly. No shade to either group, it's just a bad combination.

Tvan

Angel Diva
At Okemo...

...you avoid the insanity of Lower Mountain road, which funnels skiers of all abilities down to the Sunburst chair and is a pinball-machine of people straightlining at MACH 1 and nervous new skiers moving slowly. No shade to either group, it's just a bad combination.

I got taken down there last year. Hit from behind by a kid coming off that black diamond that feeds into that chair. He didn’t look when he merged with traffic and hit the person wearing the bright orange jacket and orange Hawaiian print ski pants. Go figure.

I wasn’t hurt, but I was plenty mad. My instructor gave him a good dressing down.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna