• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Best gear for brutally cold weather

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks Sallycat for this. The video will be really helpful. I am planning on buying my S4 set from Amazon as I'm in Hong Kong and shipping is often an issue from States/Canada. Unless anyone has any online recommends for buying them? Badger, I too am a bit concerned about altering the overall volume and fit after all the trouble my bootfitter and I went to getting the darn things to fit right. My footbeds are pretty thin under the toes, so probably can't dremel out a spot for the element but I'm assuming it's pretty thin anyways.
I actually have the heating element with the wire coming out the front of my boots at the toe so I don't have to worry about changes to my custom footbeds. It avoids the need to dremel and you can just tape or tuck the cord up the front of the liner. The wire is not that thin, if you put it in the other way you'll have to dremel or you'll feel it.

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OMG @nopoleskier are you offering to get us all gloves? I had been lusting after the 3 finger leather swany in the under the sleeve style (I think its called x-clusive). They are tricky to find and whenever I did they were in the $135+ range. I wasn't able to ever find the onsale and opted for Hestra Mitts instead since I found them for under $100. If you are at the outlet and they have anything similar I'd love a call to confirm and I can paypal you the $$.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OMG @nopoleskier are you offering to get us all gloves? I had been lusting after the 3 finger leather swany in the under the sleeve style (I think its called x-clusive). They are tricky to find and whenever I did they were in the $135+ range. I wasn't able to ever find the onsale and opted for Hestra Mitts instead since I found them for under $100. If you are at the outlet and they have anything similar I'd love a call to confirm and I can paypal you the $$.

I''m going to the outlet today. I'll give you a shout if they have them :-)
Sorry I don't have pay pal.. tried to sign up but I live too far from the bank to do their 3 small deposits and withdrawl's in a few days if you want me to purchase it's cash or check.

Tvan

Angel Diva
Holy cow, it’s cold in VT. We’re at Stratton, and skied most of yesterday until it was just too cold on the lifts. I had 4 layers of long underwear under my insultated pants, and 5 layers of shirts including a fleece, with my new LLBean stretchable down jacket. The hood actually fits over my helmet, so I look like a giant red marshmallow, but it was a life-saver in the cold yesterday. This jacket is WARM! I also am grateful for my black diamond mittens, which I bought based on recommendations from this site. I had my turtle fur balaclava to cover my face. I lasted just over half of the day before I had to come in.

It’s -21 degrees at the base this morning, with a wind chill warning for -45 today. That might be too cold for me today. I’m still debating whether to try this morning, or wait till lunch time.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
It’s -21 degrees at the base this morning, with a wind chill warning for -45 today. That might be too cold for me today. I’m still debating whether to try this morning, or wait till lunch time.

Good move.

I must be mellowing in my old age. I won't go out when it's below zero anymore. It's just not worth it.

Jilly

Staff member
I could bring a pair to Mont Tremblant at the end of January if you can't get them anywhere before that.

Thanks for offer, but I'm not built like a guy, so I really want to try them on. I see that "the Last Hunt" has the Marmot capri's but only in XL. Again I've never worn Marmot and would like to try on first. Last Hunt as a NO return policy.

I love the 3 finger glove. The CSIA bought them for the pro store a few years ago. But the cost....So at this convention they were in the bargain bin at $20! Wished I'd bought 2 pair.

Tvan

Angel Diva
After lunch report: DH is on the mountain and says that conditions are “variable”and that he’s not cold “except for his face”. I’m hoping a trip to the clinic for frostbite is not in our immediate future.

Meanwhile, I went into Manchester and scored big savings on a few things at the outlet stores, after spending my Christmas gift certificate at Northshire Books. Current activity: knitting in front of the fire.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yesterday I was genuinely uncomfortable in the cold. It was just my feet and face; the Hotronics weren't keeping my toes from being alarmingly cold. And the nice warm Airhole balaclava that was supposed to prevent condensation was soaked through almost immediately. Whatever I put on my face caused fogging that would then turn to ice.

I just ordered a FaceSaver mask, so I'm looking forward to using that. I also stumbled across this: Ant0-Freeze Face Tape. Looks interesting, and makes me wonder if some regular KT tape from the drugstore would work similarly.

Has anyone every seen or used this?

https://antifreezefacetape.com/

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I also stumbled across this: Ant0-Freeze Face Tape. Looks interesting, and makes me wonder if some regular KT tape from the drugstore would work similarly.

Has anyone every seen or used this?

https://antifreezefacetape.com/

Yeah, I saw that, too. I was wondering if it could actually keep you warm, or if it just protected your skin. Anyone who tries it, please report in!

Jilly

Staff member
Got a sample in our convention pack last year. It states on the package...protect against frostbite. It's a one time use product only. So I've never used it. The sample came from: Frost tape. I can't seem to get their website to work. But the parent company is Balance Taping from Sweden. Which makes me think...KT type tape.

I've had lots of questions about my facesaver this week. I hand wash it every night and it dries in no time. I have no use for Airhole, or Serius type of full face masks. I just get colder with the ice around my mouth. The face saver has been a saver!! I use it with my Buff neck tube and I've been skiing the last 4 days with little issues.

Right now at 9:15 am it's -26C still at the base of Tremblant. The downstair neighbour just came home. There was a big puff of moisture as he opened the door to the condo. So it's almost too cold to think about skiing.

Tvan

Angel Diva
I thought I would ski four days this week at Stratton, and ended up skiing only one. Just too darn cold for me. I also took a pretty good fall on the sidewalk, while wearing my Yak Trax and carrying a pizza. So there’s that. (I’m fine, just a bruised hip. Pizza was also fine, and enthusiastically consumed.)

I’ve ordered the face saver mask to try.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
DD and I managed to stay warm enough when we went to Ragged on Thursday, but it was certainly a "no skin exposed" kind of a day. And no waiting another run before going in if we started to feel cold. No lift lines though:smile: Now to figure out how to transfer some of the "how to stay warm while skiing" knowledge to "how to stay warm while standing outside in a crowd for many hours" knowledge. DD is taking a bus to NYC tomorrow morning with a friend for the ball drop, and catching a 3AM one back. Looks like it won't be quite as brisk in NYC as here in Boston, but still. The things you are willing to do when you are 18.

newboots

Angel Diva
DD and I managed to stay warm enough when we went to Ragged on Thursday, but it was certainly a "no skin exposed" kind of a day. And no waiting another run before going in if we started to feel cold. No lift lines though:smile: Now to figure out how to transfer some of the "how to stay warm while skiing" knowledge to "how to stay warm while standing outside in a crowd for many hours" knowledge. DD is taking a bus to NYC tomorrow morning with a friend for the ball drop, and catching a 3AM one back. Looks like it won't be quite as brisk in NYC as here in Boston, but still. The things you are willing to do when you are 18.

I hope she doesn’t believe hats and mittens are not cool. Or long johns!

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, her hat she embroidered on herself, so that is cool. We discussed mitten dexterity vs. gloves and hand warmers in the coat pockets. She is into vintage 80's (is that really a thing?!?) so has high waist pleated cords that will fit a base layer under. The main undecided is which coat and which layers under the coat. She picked up a long vintage wool coat at the thrift store yesterday and is digging the look, but after a trial run today isn't sure it will be enough. She has nixed some of the warmest jackets in the house, but is still willing to consider some of my smartwool base layers, and possibly a nanopuff. After a few initial glares when I suggested them and trying to stay warm on the hill this week I think the hand and foot warmers I picked up are welcome. I think she may default to her everyday coat that has tons of pockets for warmers, snacks, etc. I'm looking forward to the stories when she gets home. Living vicariously.... :smile:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga