• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Best gear for brutally cold weather

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Here in Vermont, we're looking at a week of brutally cold weather. The high temperatures will only be in the single digits through next Tuesday, with lows well below zero. And that doesn't even take into account the windchill. I know we've had lots of threads on the warmest base layers, jackets, and gloves/mittens, but there are other products, too, that help keep us out when the weather is super cold. So I'm wondering, what can you simply not do without when the thermometer takes a dive?

For me, it's the following:

Hotronics boot warmers: My feet get cold extremely easily, and these keep my feet feeling normal, no matter how cold. A godsend.

Face Saver face mask: This is a partial facemask that covers my nose and cheeks, leaving my mouth exposed so the warm air doesn't back up and cause my goggles to fog over. It's made by a very small company, and I can't tell you how many people I've sent their way. I absolutely love this product.

Other suggestions?

marzNC

Angel Diva
In addition to the Facesaver, the other item that I use all the time for frigid weather these days is Hot Buns. Makes a big difference because I don't get as cold sitting on the lift. I know some people don't like the look. But I got questions even from lifties at Snowmass interested in a way to stay warm and dry during a snowstorm.

I have Boot Gloves, but often only use them for the first hour or so in the morning. My feet stay pretty warm now that I know how to layer to keep my core warm.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
My boot heaters for sure. (But I use them even when it's not all that cold.) Face mask (don't know the brand, but it works great). An extra leg layer (some old down leggings that I cut off above the knee). Down jacket (never cold in it). Down mittens with a liner (though I'm feeling these are due to be replaced). With all this on, I'm able to stay out in minus 20 (C) temps for a couple of hours. @ski diva and @Jilly put all this cold weather gear to good use one frigid day at Tremblant last season.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In recent years, I'm envious of anyone whose fingers and toes don't freeze! Raynauds .... boring. I have custom footbeds, Hotronic boot heaters, Boot Gloves .... and Gerbing battery heated gloves. I carry extra batteries. I don't find they last more than 3 - 4 hours.

@marzNC: if your Hot Buns aren't too big, you can wear them inside ski pants instead of outside. I learned that from a ski instructor who wasn't allowed to be 'out of uniform'. Also very comforting when it's damp.

I love the Facesaver! Thank you, Ski Diva!

Another thought on pre-heating boots, suggested by the boot fitter. Fill a plastic water bottle with HOT water and slip that in the boot, down to the footbed, or at least so it touches. I do that at least half an hour before I leave the house. I'm out for any advantage!

marzNC

Angel Diva
@marzNC: if your Hot Buns aren't too big, you can wear them inside ski pants instead of outside. I learned that from a ski instructor who wasn't allowed to be 'out of uniform'. Also very comforting when it's damp.
Yeah, I tried that once since I wear shell pants. But I also like keeping as dry as possible on the lift and don't care how they look so prefer to wear them over my pants. Makes it much easier to take them off when I go in for a break. Otherwise I get too hot much too quickly.

Note that in the southeast there can be snowmaking all season long, so there can be snow or water on the lifts even on blue sky days. The Hot Buns were handy at Wachusett the other morning when temps were in the 20s. I only had yoga pants under my shell pants and was not cold or too warm.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, I tried that once since I wear shell pants. But I also like keeping as dry as possible on the lift and don't care how they look so prefer to wear them over my pants. Makes it much easier to take them off when I go in for a break. Otherwise I get too hot much too quickly.

Note that in the southeast there can be snowmaking all season long, so there can be snow or water on the lifts even on blue sky days. The Hot Buns were handy at Wachusett the other morning when temps were in the 20s. I only had yoga pants under my shell pants and was not cold or too warm.

Of course ... there is also the issue of mine being 20 years old. And my buns are NOT smaller than they were back then!! So if I wear them inside, they fit. Sometimes when I try them over the ski pants and make some move like picking something off the snow, the velcro pops! When the waist band has let go, the damn things slither toward the ground. Kind of like having the waist band on panty hose give out! Just not as much fun as it sounds like it might be! :rotf:

marzNC

Angel Diva
Of course ... there is also the issue of mine being 20 years old. And my buns are NOT smaller than they were back then!! So if I wear them inside, they fit. Sometimes when I try them over the ski pants and make some move like picking something off the snow, the velcro pops! When the waist band has let go, the damn things slither toward the ground. Kind of like having the waist band on panty hose give out! Just not as much fun as it sounds like it might be! :rotf:
I have the previous version with velcro. One leg would also come loose. That's why I jumped at getting the current version that has clips. More expensive but worth every penny.

I kept the old version as a loner for my friends who don't ski enough to make it worth buying that sort of stuff.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the previous version with velcro. One leg would also come loose. That's why I jumped at getting the current version that has clips. More expensive but worth every penny.

I kept the old version as a loner for my friends who don't ski enough to make it worth buying that sort of stuff.

I'm going to have to investigate newer ones!

Jilly

Staff member
This is the picture that SkiBam is referring to!! skidivasfeb2017.jpg

And today was just plain frigid!! So I'm in the light blue coat....neck tube by buff with wind stopper. Face saver mask, probably a helmet liner too. I'm seeing my gloves from Swany, but today was a pair of down Swany mitts from Costco. Also boot heaters in the boots. Avalanche clothing is made for this climate. I was super warm today in that suit.

I do have boot gloves, but with the heaters, I'm not using them anymore. I do have DH's heated mitts, but the heating element is only on the back of the mitt. And they are little too big, so not warm. I did better with the cheap down mitts.

Jenny

Angel Diva
When we were in Banff last year I found one of the big stick-on body warmers to be invaluable - along with an extra layer of everything else.

Those of you with down mittens - do you only wear them when it's frigid, or on a regular basis? I'm debating whether to splurge for a pair. My fingers are always cold, and I basically never ski without hand warmers in between the mitten liner and mittens.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I recently took the plunge and bought a pair of Hestra Heli gloves along with an Airhole Polar balaclava and some Terramar heavyweight base layer bottoms. This week should be a fair test of the new warm-weather gear, so I will report back.

I use Hotronics boot heaters as well, and like @SkiBam I use them in all but the most moderate temps. For anyone getting their first set of Hotronics, I recommend buying the side strap bracket and using that instead of the hardware that comes with the set. It's more secure.

And finally, I deployed some of my ebay/paypal balance and acquired a Lange/Hot Gear heated boot bag. It's a great accessory, especially given that I often boot up in the car.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was out today in 12*F (at the base in upstate NY). +1 to the Face Saver face mask and Hotronics! My feet were warm on the second setting for the Hotronics.

I wore a Turtle fur gaiter with my Face Saver. My face never got cold at all. The combination was so much better than a bulky face mask, with the bonus that my goggles don't fog up from my breath.

Gordini Women's GTX Down III gloves - Goretex with Down kept me warm all day.

There was a little wind, so I'm sure that played a role in staying warmer.

The conditions were fantastic at Gore today.

newboots

Angel Diva
My essentials for colder weather are
my down vest or perhaps when it’s colder, down sweater under my insulated parka, AND my heated boot bag.

I use hand warmers and toe warmers until April, but my Christmas Hotronics should arrive any day. The handwarmer inside my OR Mt. Baker mittens (wonderful thinsulate liners) works great but, having mild Raynaud’s, I’ll add a second one if my fingers get cold.

I switch from Smartwool baselayer bottoms to winter running tights under my insulated pants in the really cold days.

Today it was probably 12* on the mountain, no serious wind, and I discovered at the end of the day my pit zips were open. Probably will close them tomorrow!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Same temps/wind as @2ski2moro at Royal today. We also had awesome conditions.
My layers today..a cuddledown undershirt, icebreaker 260 shirt, patagonia nano puff, and Karbon ski coat.
bottom my warm leggings and my XC ski pants under my ski pants. usual poly pro head band under my helmet, turtle fur for face coverage, Dermatone of course, toe heaters and my darn tough socks I was warm! If I wasn't teaching I probably would have taken my Marmot down jacket.. that is really warm
but the Karbon is surprisingly warm.

@Jenny I don't wear my down gloves every day just the really cold ones. that some winters is frequently!
I have down mittens they are leather on the palms and nylon on the backs. The Swany outlet is near me so I can get some great deals.
If you want me to go see what they have. not sure of the inventory after xmas, but they'll restock before you shell out 100$ or more.. :-)

Jenny

Angel Diva
Same temps/wind as @2ski2moro at Royal today. We also had awesome conditions.
My layers today..a cuddledown undershirt, icebreaker 260 shirt, patagonia nano puff, and Karbon ski coat.
bottom my warm leggings and my XC ski pants under my ski pants. usual poly pro head band under my helmet, turtle fur for face coverage, Dermatone of course, toe heaters and my darn tough socks I was warm! If I wasn't teaching I probably would have taken my Marmot down jacket.. that is really warm
but the Karbon is surprisingly warm.

@Jenny I don't wear my down gloves every day just the really cold ones. that some winters is frequently!
I have down mittens they are leather on the palms and nylon on the backs. The Swany outlet is near me so I can get some great deals.
If you want me to go see what they have. not sure of the inventory after xmas, but they'll restock before you shell out 100$ or more.. :-)
@nopoleskier - I would like, thank you! My current Swany's are a men's small. I think (but don't remember for sure) that the women's large fit, too, but the men's liners came all the way out, so I could swap in mitten liners, instead of the gloves they came with. You're coming to Diva East, right?

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@nopoleskier - I would like, thank you! My current Swany's are a men's small. I think (but don't remember for sure) that the women's large fit, too, but the men's liners came all the way out, so I could swap in mitten liners, instead of the gloves they came with. You're coming to Diva East, right?

yes I am going to Diva East if you want pm me your phone # and I'll call you from the shop.. should be able to go Thursday afternoon :-)

GoingDownhillWeeeee!

Certified Ski Diva
When it's really cold I wear my wool sweater under my coat. I don't know if it's the extra air, the wool, or if it's just psychological but it feels like it makes a big difference. And for me keeping my core warm makes a big difference to how warm my limbs are. I also use hand warmers, a balaclava, thicker base pants, and if it's really cold I'll even put on a scarf.

Spunk72

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is a great thread ladies. I am thinking of taking the plunge and getting Hotronic boot warmers before our next trip in early Feb. I finally have good fitting boots (after a couple of false starts) so I am confident I don't have pressure issues causing cold feet, but after an hour or so my whole forefoot starts to go numb and by lunch there is just no feeling. It sometimes takes a good 40 mins for feeling to start to come back. I ski in Japan each Jan/Feb, and whilst it's not BC cold, it does regularly get -10 - -15 degrees celsius out there and I am sick and tired of having numb feet.
Can any of you that have Hotronics comment on if they are okay to use with custom foot beds?
I am also thinking perhaps I need another warmer leg layer too as some of you have said. I normally wear skins with normal polyprop thermals over the top then my slightly padded ski pants. I might get some merino ones. I am 6ft 2 so getting thermals to fit is not always easy!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna