• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Backpacking basic gear?

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
All good points. I'm not interested in saving every last ounce so much as just not acquiring *stuff* I don't need / won't use. Maybe renting and then buying stuff slowly is a good path, then.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Borrowing is good!

Perhaps the most important advice is to try everything out before you go. Practice setting up and lighting the stove (on your own stovetop, for safety), set up the tent and rainfly and sit around in it for a bit, unpack the sleeping bag, pad, and anything else so you're sure you know how to set it up and to re-pack it. The last thing you want is to do is to have to figure this stuff out in the dark, in the wind, in the rain, or when you're completely pooped. :frusty:

That goes for food, too. If you go with freeze-dried or other pre-made food, buy a couple of brands and make them at home to see which ones you like. If you're making your own, make a list of ingredients and make sure the stuff will keep in your pack. Never underestimate the beneficial effect of tea or coffee or hot cocoa in the morning. One of my tricks was to bring pasta and one of those packets of sauce you can get at the store (again, try at home first), or a film canister of tomato paste and little plastic pill bottles of dried onion and spices for pasta and sauce the first night out.

If I were being conservative I'd say car camp for a night or two; then a one nighter with a short hike in (so you have plenty of time and energy to set up camp); then a weekend. Once you have that down, getting ready means gathering your gear, packing food, and filling water bottles. Longer trip = more food (and maybe an extra book); that's about it.

It's really nice once you've got your routine down for packing, setting up and breaking down camp. When I was a frequent backpacker, most of my gear lived in my pack, so all I needed to do was add my jackknife, water bottles and clothes and pack my food. Any trip over two days involved some amount of home-made whole wheat banana or poppyseed bread. :eyebrows: I'd bring treats, too: a water bottle filled with frozen fruit juice for the first morning, a chunk of dry salami (well wrapped), junk-food beef jerky sticks. Fingerfuls of peanut butter dipped in a bag of granola provided many a happy lunch for me. Many of my buddies always brought fresh veggies, and I'd humor them if we camped together, but generally I didn't care much.

Without going into details, I like 2 person tents (without the men), 20 degree sleeping bags (two in cold weather), and when I wasn't so creaky I used a 'corrugated' foam pad which was super-light, versatile and bombproof.

abc

Banned
Borrowing is good!

when I wasn't so creaky I used a 'corrugated' foam pad which was super-light, versatile and bombproof.
I still prefer a Ridgerest (closed cell foam) over Thermarest. It's lighter than the Thermarest that provides the same cushion. I don't feel the little pebbles or irregularity on the ground as much. And it's no fuss, no valve to clog or leak, just unroll and lay on it!

I started with the foam pad, then "upgraded" to the self-inflating pads. But ultimately decided I like the foam pad better!

The only time I used my Thermarest pad is when I need to fly to my destination. The Thermarest is more compact when packed up so fits into airline luggage better. Other than that, I like the Ridgerest foam pad much better. (and it's a lot cheaper to replace if it ever wears out)

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
LOL!

And Kimmyt mentioned these: https://www.golite.com/salesevents/ Definitely hit one up; the one in Centennial isn't too far from me, I bought a rain jacket there in May (and actually needed it this year), and the deals were quite good. I didn't notice if they had tents, but they definitely had packs. The one in Lakewood isn't too far from you, but it closes in 2 days. (They reopen all the time, just check the website.)

Employees at the Golite outlet in Silverthorne told us yesterday that they plan to stay open thru the 1st of Jan. I saw backpacks, tents, etc. Mechandise is a little picked over right now but they said they are expecting a big shipment soon. Prices are around 50% off.

And, yes, you need to be concerned about bears in Colorado. Outside of Leadville a teenage boy was recently attacked in his tent because the adults left food outside the tent. The group was an Archery club who should have known better. Even though bears have not been sighted here in Wilderness our condo association takes precautions by keeping our dumpsters locked at night. No bird feeders on the property, etc.

REI is a very good source and Backcountry.com's summer sale is coming up.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You could also do a hut trip. All you need is a sleeping bag, food, personal supplies and an emergency survival kit.

Check availability at www.huts.org

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When you cut the handle off your toothbrush (or drill holes in it), you know you've gone ultralight.
Toothbrush? Dig some sassafras root for brushing your teeth! Just think of all the space you'll save -- and weight -- by not carrying that pesky toothbrush!

[Now that I look it up, I see that sassafras is in the eastern U.S. So, uh, don't try this in Colorado or the PNW!]

Christy

Angel Diva
Staying in huts can be cool but it's a very different experience than backpacking. It's like staying in a hostel that you happened to hike to.

I forgot to say earlier, Starbucks Via is the way to go for coffee. No contraption needed, and definitely better than grocery store instant coffee.

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Colorado Mountain Club runs trips, training and social meetups, for Hikes, Climbs and camping. There is a Boulder branch. It seemed a good way to get a local introduction but unfortunately my time ran out before I tried it.

REI also does training events and hires out equipment, as do most of the outdoor stores. I did rent backpacks from time to time - and got the women's specific which was great for trying out features and fit before committing to spend.

One great tip I got before heading off to backpack around the world - don't get the large pack, thinking you'll keep some space in reserve for "just in case". Having said that - you are probably one of the few people in the world who would be able to leave some items behind and have space left.

There's a GoLite place on the Gunbarrel trading estate in Boulder and they have an amazing two day sale sometime over the summer. Huge amounts of tents were available in addition to clothing, packs et al. I had never tried their stuff before and was wary of how thin and light it was - how could it work? But I took a little jacket with me and have been amazed at how wind and rain proof it is, perfect for many locations around the world.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Agree on the Via -- my nice Lexan coffee press is sadly no longer needed, but I don't miss disposing of the grounds -- and one other tip I thought of is Crocs! They are so light, and clip easily to the outside of your pack. They make great camp slippers when you take off your boots. Plus, you can wear socks with them (unlike flip flops) and they can get wet (unlike down booties).

And I love the GoLite rain jacket I bought earlier this summer. DH always asks why I'm still wearing my raincoat, even indoors or after it stops raining. The answer: Because I totally forgot I had it on, it's so comfortable.

Christy

Angel Diva
Wow, Pinto, I have spent years searching for the perfect lightweight, sock compatible camp shoe, and I never thought of Crocs. I've never considered owning Crocs, or even wanting to look at them...but in this case I might have to give them a shot. Are you talking about the standard clog type, or is there a different model that you use?

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, Pinto, I have spent years searching for the perfect lightweight, sock compatible camp shoe, and I never thought of Crocs. I've never considered owning Crocs, or even wanting to look at them...but in this case I might have to give them a shot. Are you talking about the standard clog type, or is there a different model that you use?

Yeah, just the plain clogs. ALthough it occurs to me that they would be good for crossing creeks if you got one of the types that fit tighter. But then they wouldn't be as comfy around camp... Anyway, I just use a cheap carabiner to hook them to my pack.

LilaBear

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, just the plain clogs. ALthough it occurs to me that they would be good for crossing creeks if you got one of the types that fit tighter. But then they wouldn't be as comfy around camp... Anyway, I just use a cheap carabiner to hook them to my pack.

The carabiner is a great idea. I had crocs stuffed in the outside pocket of my pack to use as camp shoes, but somewhere on the hike in through oceans of mud and ziplining to treehouses .......... and now I feel guilty that I was supporting an ecological mission, but there are a lovely pair of crocs somewhere on the rainforest floor in Laos.

Indianaskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
https://www.BackpackingAmericanWest.com

My brother, who lives near Portland OR has been backpacking for years. I've had the pleasure of going with him a few times and loved every minute of it. He is quite knowledgeable about it. This is a link to his webpage. He has some good information and beautiful photos there, in case anyone might like to check it out and see if there is some useful information there for you.
My husband doesn't seem interested in backpacking anymore, so if I get to go it will be with my brother and sister in law, most likely.
I was listening to the radio the other day and there was a question for listeners, " If you could be the other sex for one day, what is the first thing you would do?" The first thing that came to mind for me is, I would go backpacking in the wilderness alone, because, as a woman, I do not feel safe being alone doing some of the things I love to do.

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I see lots of discussion about safety while backpacking alone as a female on several forums I'm part of, and all I can say is that I'm thankful that for me, where I live, that doesn't even cross my mind. All I worry about is what mother nature throws at me (wildlife, weather, etc.). It makes me sad that there are things we don't feel safe doing. :frown:

abc

Banned
I see lots of discussion about safety while backpacking alone as a female on several forums I'm part of, and all I can say is that I'm thankful that for me, where I live, that doesn't even cross my mind. All I worry about is what mother nature throws at me (wildlife, weather, etc.). It makes me sad that there are things we don't feel safe doing. :frown:
Is it safe? Or is it just that you FEEL safe? Those are 2 different things.

I used to go backpacking alone. It just never entered my mind about any other danger besides nature. I still believe that's the case, even though I no longer backpack (alone or otherwise).

What difference does it make to be a man vs woman when it comes to the danger of backpacking alone?

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What difference does it make to be a man vs woman when it comes to the danger of backpacking alone?

Whether a solo backpacker (or hiker) is a male or a female matters mostly when other humans are involved.

Going from memory, I don't think I've heard of sex crimes in the backcountry. But, I feel like a lot of homicides in the backcountry (I'm thinking of a few on or around the AT in the 90s) have involved groups of two that include at least one woman. I wonder if this is because these groups aren't going as deep into the backcountry as all-male groups, making it accessible to the perpetrators, who haven't appeared to be backpackers themselves. So maybe the lesson is, if you're going solo, go deep into the backcountry. :smile:

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yah, I was referring more to the risk to me from other humans. I don't even think about it when I go into the backcountry alone. Now, the debate of whether I am safe vs. whether I just feel safe...who knows. I figure that of all the places I'm going to be in danger from some random person, the backwoods of BC isn't high on the list. I hope.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yah, I was referring more to the risk to me from other humans. I don't even think about it when I go into the backcountry alone. Now, the debate of whether I am safe vs. whether I just feel safe...who knows. I figure that of all the places I'm going to be in danger from some random person, the backwoods of BC isn't high on the list. I hope.

I'm on the same page as you. For me, unless there have been recent reports of suspicious activity going on in the backcountry, I would feel safer from humans there in the dark than at the park across the street from me in the dark.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna