• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Backpacking basic gear?

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to start doing some basic backpacking and I am totally lost as to what gear I need. Let's assume that I'll start by doing one night trips, and I'll likely have a friend along who will have some gear, too. What's the minimum basic set of stuff I need?

- backpack (obviously :smile: )
- sleeping bag
- sleeping pad
- some kind of tent
- something to purify water?
- ???

Is it super sad to buy a 1-person tent? Should I just get a small 2-person tent and assume if I'm sharing a tent with someone, it will someone I want to be cozy with?

Let's keep it to big-ish gear things for now so I don't get further overwhelmed. ;) In other words, I know I'll need plastic bags, a little shovel, etc etc, but that kind of stuff is no big deal to get.

Thanks!!!

P.S. Anyone want to go backpacking? :smile:

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's a list I work off of. Re: tent - I have a 2-person tent, but I think it's heavy. I used some crazy ultra-light wannabe bivy in Oregon last year, and it was awesome. My advice (keep in mind it's me) is to splurge $$ on the light stuff (ie, pro-lite thermarest, rather than trail size) because carrying a heavy pack sucks.

Stuff/compression sacks come in very handy.

---------
Backpacking Checklist:

Check weather report
Check sunrise/sunset times (and tide tables when applicable)

GEAR
backpack
backpack rain cover and garbage bag/dry bags in bad weather
trekking poles
daytrip bag? (optional)
tent (and fly)
sleeping bag (appropriate for weather forecast)
(plus liner if cold weather)
sleeping mat/air mattress & repair kit
(bring extra pad/thick pad for snow camping)
water bottles
water filter (& scouring pad), sterilite pen, and/or iodine
headlamp/flashlight & extra batteries
stove, fuel, and pot(s)/pan(s)lighter or stormproof matches
bear canister (in bear country)
rope
map in ziploc bag
compass
alarm for early AM summits

FOOD
Beverages:
enzyme replenesher packets (tang/emergen-C/etc.)
coffee, powdered milk, and sugar
hot cocoa
booze
Instant soup and snickers for cold weather camping
ziploc baggies and/or trash bags
paper towels (for misc cooking needs)biodegradable dish soap
dish cleaning sponge/cloth
eating utensil(s)/dishes

FIRST AID
small mirror
thermometer (optional)
air activated heat pads (cold weather)
band aids
alcohol wipes (lots if poison oak)
molefoam/skin
medical tape
neosporin
medication (birth control,ambien, vicodin, ibuprofen, macrobid, claritin, anti diarreha pills, etc.)
superglue
iodine/chlorine tablets
Vitamins? (rishi pills for altitude sickness)
sewing kit
duct tape
Zip ties
safety pin
rubber band
money (incl. change for telephone call!)
copy of ID and health insurance info
multi functional knife-
scissors
tweezers
bottle opener
pliers
mylar/emergency blanket

CLOTHES
hiking shirt (cotton if hot/sunny, wool if rain/snow)
hiking pants/shorts
long sleeve shirt/long undwear top
long underwear bottoms
underwear (bra+panties)
down vest/jacket
rain gear (jacket and pants)
gaiters (if snow/scree/rain)
swimsuit?
towel
two pairs (or more) socks (synthetic/wool if snow/rain possible)
hiking boots/tennies (waterproof for snow travel)
camp shoes/sandals
sunglasses (must have for snow travel)
hiking hat
bandanna
beanie and gloves/mittens (down if cold)

TOILETRIES:
toothbrush & paste (burt's bees) & floss
sport sunblock with high spf
antiseptic with cotton balls
chapstick w/sunblock
bug repellent
deoderant?
lotion/moisturizer (vaseline)
Ear plugs
tampons (?)
wetwipes/babywipes/bodywipes
hand sanitizer/disinfectant (purell)
trowel
extra TP!!

FUN:
book to read/journal w/pencil/
sketchbook/watercolor kit
camera
Camp chair

cold weather/PATAGONIA camping notes:
waterproof Cover for your pack
waterproof pants
waterproof/resistant boots
winterweight sleeping bag (it gets cold at night)
hiking poles
extra wool snowboarding (long) socks
down gloves & jacket/vest, warm hat(s)
sleeping bag liner
heating pads and/or nalgene's for hot water bottles
instant soup and extra hot bevs
snickers/fuel for warmth at night
extra sleeping pad

abc

Banned
- something to purify water?
My boy friend and I are a bit old fashioned. We boil extra when in camp. Let it cool and put into water bottle. He also breaks out the stove and boil water during lunch too.

So, in your list, the "big thing" you're missing is cooking stuff: stove, fuel, matches, pots, something to eat in (by myself, I just eat out of the pot, but not if you have a buddy).

Do a training trip in a car campground with just the backpacking gear and see what you're missing. Note down what you had to "borrow" from the car! Start doing it for real with a 1-nighter, then a weekender, and go from there. I tend not to do more than 3 nights. Too much food to carry beyond that. Oh yes, ALWAYS carry extra food in case of weather and/or minor injury/illness.

Tents: 2-person minimum. A 1-person tent is not just sad. It's just a sheet plastic coffin. If you later end up going with the 1 more person all the time, you might end up buying a 3-person tent for 2 people use. You get my driff... On the other hand, some really hard core type go with a bivy sack. Basically, no tent! Sleeping under the stars, literally!

I'm not familiar with Colorado summer weather. When I lived in California, we don't take rain gears between May and November. It simply does not rain!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Hubby and I would just share the pot. He who has the bigger spoon wins. * He broke up with his PCT partner over this.

Sleeping mat. There are some good options out there that aren't inflatable. One less thing to worry about. Poles should be optional imsho; only if you need them.
Camp chair? seriously? For backpacking?
It all comes down to how much weight you want to carry. A backpack can easily get up to 50-60 pounds if you aren't careful. Doing some beta trips to figure out what works for you is critical.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't yet backpacked, but I agree with the car camp test as a first step. I found out that I get ridiculously cold sleeping outdoors - a 20 degree bag in a tent doesn't keep me warm on a 45 degree night. It would be good to find that out when there's a spare blanket stashed away in the car.

Christy

Angel Diva
I think everyone needs a bit of trial and error to figure out what they need. A lot of it is just personal preference. I know people that think tents are for suckers--they use ultralite hammocks. (not me) The same people don't filter water (you can generally get away with that here but again, not me). Ohers couldn't live without bringing everything but the kitchen sink.

If it's just you carrying everything, I'd get the lightest you can afford that still works for you whether that's one or two man. (Some of the 2 man tents are so small, I would really consider them appropriate only for one person+stuff). It really does take some research to figure out what the best combo of weight, functionality and price is. Ultralight is great but sometimes it means sacrificing nice features, and sometimes it costs a fortune. So there is always compromise. Set it up in the store to make sure it's not a pain in the ass. Assume you will be setting this up in the dark when you are cold and hungry at some point. Make sure there is room for your pack and boots either in the tent or under a vestibule, in case you need to protect them from rain overnight.

something to purify water?

For 20 years I've just used a PUR filter, the kind you pump into your water bottle. Super easy, not too heavy. There are plenty of brands out there. Some people bring a couple iodine tablets as an emergency backup. I'm interested in those pens but haven't used one yet.

Backpacker Magazine is a great resource. They do an annual gear guide, and have a lot of info on their site. Check out their Editor's Choice picks.https://www.backpacker.com/gear-zone-editors-choice-2011/gear/15461

Since Pequenita did the work of putting together a list, I'll just work from that and tell you what I bring. Like I said earlier, a lot is just personal preference.

GEAR
backpack

backpack rain cover and garbage bag/dry bags in bad weather (I've never needed this, and I backpack in the PNW. My stuff has always stayed dry in my pack. But, I also check the forecast before setting out--I would not go if it was a weekend of rain ahead)

trekking poles (optional--I'd bring these only if you have knee issues. They can be really helpful but on brushy or rocky trails, they can also be extremely annoying)

daytrip bag? (optional)(get a backpack with a removable top)

tent (and fly) Here in the NW I also use a groundcloth, which we actually use inside the tent, but many people will tell you this isn't necessary, that your tent bottom is waterproof and durable

sleeping bag (appropriate for weather forecast)
(plus liner if cold weather) (I bring a 0 degree bag, no liner. If you're a woman that's always cold, like me, the ratings are a joke. They are definitely rated by big sweaty men

sleeping mat/air mattress & repair kit I like the full length prolite Thermarests. 3/4 length are lighter, but don't keep you as warm
(bring extra pad/thick pad for snow camping)

water bottles

water filter (& scouring pad), sterilite pen, and/or iodine (I bring a filter only)

headlamp/flashlight & extra batteries (I bring a headlamp only. My headlamps die before the batteries do)

stove, fuel, and pot(s)/pan(s) (I like the Primus or Snowpeak type system--cheap, easy, you can buy the fuel anywhere, lasts forever: https://www.rei.com/product/636832/primus-yellowstone-classic-trail-stove)

lighter or stormproof matches

bear canister (in bear country) (I don't think in CO you will need more than a regular bear bag, or an Ursack if you want to get hardcore. Canisters are super heavy)

map in ziploc bag
compass
alarm for early AM summits

Bear bag--maybe you don't need an actual bear bag in CO, but you do need to at least protect your food from critters. We only use our sleeping bag stuff sack and some thin rope. You can google how to hang a bear bag. There are actually lots of things that are not great about this system--mice can still get to your bag, for instance--but I've used it for 20 years as do most people I know. I do mean to get an Ursack, though--that's way easier in subalpine or alpine areas where big trees are scarce

FOOD
While dehydrated food is nothing to write home about, I have zero interest in cooking in the backcountry. There are real issues around doing dishes in bear country; even if there aren't bears, food bits attract rodents and other creatures you don't want. Also I am generally tired and dirty. So, open pouch, dump in water, stir and eat. Zero cleanup. The empty pouch goes in the bear bag. There is lots of info online as to which brands are edible and which aren't.

Isn't it funny how much gear we need to "rough it"? I always give my husband crap for all the gear he takes fishing--how much stuff does a person need to take to catch a little fish?--but really, this is no better. *sigh*

Christy

Angel Diva
One other thought: REI and probably some local stores there too will rent gear. Sometimes when you're new to something, you don't really know what you want until you've bought the version that doesn't have it. (ie a certain amount of ventilation in the tent, or tent pockets. Or what looked like plenty of room in the tent on the sales floor turns out to be really small when you're in it for the whole night.) It's also nice if you don't have to buy everything at once.

Ringrat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Alright, I want to gather my thoughts a bit before I post my whole list...it's a bit shorter than Penquenita's!

I will quickly weigh in on the one/two man tent thing.

If you're planning on always backpacking in a group or a pair, a two person tent is good. You can alternate who brings it, or whatever. I have a light two person tent that's awesomely roomy and has 2 doors and 2 vestibules so in lousy weather we're not tripping over each other (MSR Hubba Hubba).

If you're planning on doing some backpacking alone, then think about what you're willing to carry. Do you want to carry the 4 lb two person tent for just yourself? I don't, so I have a tarp shelter (technically 2 person, though not comfortably) that sets up with a few stakes and a pole and is just that...a tarp. (Integral Designs SilShelter) I carry that and a groundsheet if I'm going alone and brave the elements a little more.

It all depends on how you intend to backpack...if you're going to be with friends with some experience, they probably already have some gear, so for the first couple of trips you can observe what they have before you go shell out cash. Start with the personal stuff that's not shareable - sleeping bag, pad, and backpack. I acquired my backpacking gear over several years as I figured out what I want and started to go less with other people that already had everything.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sleeping bags and pads: Make sure your sleeping bag packs down fairly small. Mine is technically a backpacking sack but it doesn't compress too much and it would take up a ton of room in my pack if I backpacked with it. Before I do anything more than car camping I need to get a new one. I have had bad luck with a lot of inflateable sleeping pads too (after a year or so of constant use the valve blows and they develop slow leaks, etc), but they are warmer to me than insulated ones. I have had decent luck with a Big Agnes one I bought last year, so we'll see.

Filters and food: We just bought a water filter (PUR) from REI. It is our first, and we went with a basic one. Figure we don't know enough right now to have preferences and we can always upgrade in a few years. Ursack is next on the list, I understand that if you are camping in alpine or subalpine environs, the marmots and other critters can easily destroy a regular stuff sack if there are goodies in it.

One vs. Two person tent: We have a two person tent, and it's pretty small, but that varies between brand and model. We are small people so it works. It would probably be ok for a single person as it's fairly lightweight (NEMO brand, i highly recommend). However, if I were doing a lot of backpacking by myself I would think of getting a one man.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, also, re: packs, do you already have one? If so, definitely get a pack cover. There's a GoLite popup (or at least there was, not sure if its still there) in Aurora. They have cheap ones that pack down super small and are nice. I think there might be another one elsewhere nearby now too, don't remember where.

If you are purchasing a pack, some come with built in pack covers, and that is a nice option. I'm a firm believer that all things I have should pack into their own pockets, because after a while you start to have about a thousand different stuff sacks and it gets hard to keep track what belongs to what.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I acquired my backpacking gear over several years as I figured out what I want and started to go less with other people that already had everything.

Wanna go backpacking? I don't own a stove. :becky:

My tactic to limiting weight is to own a small pack and travel with others. I make it very clear that I cannot carry more than what my pack can fit because it is just unfair for all of us to be carrying the same weight pack when I'm 50 lbs lighter than everyone else (I know I'm not 50 lbs lighter than anyone who's responded to this thread!).

The deal I've struck with others is that I'll carry all my personal gear (including ultralight tent) -- which over the years I've upgraded to lighter/more compressible -- and they carry their gear + the communal gear (usually stove, fuel, food).

Anyway, my list was something a friend emailed a group of us a few years ago, not one that I devised myself. Nor is it necessarily what I use (basically, I pull out my camping bin and put it all into my pack!). I have brought a Crazy Creek chair into the backcountry, though. What you're willing to carry differs if you're doing a backpacking trip where you're moving every day vs. going to a destination and staying there for a few days -- ie, when I went to Havasu Falls, it was a 10-mile hike in, but I was willing to carry a heavier pack so I could have a camp chair that doubled as additional (sleep) padding.

ETA: suggestion if you're deciding between tents...I've a friend who actually purchased two, set them up in the living room and sat in them/tested them out indoors before deciding. REI has a generous return policy. I actually bought a pack for a trip, used it, hated it, returned it to REI.

Jilly

Staff member
Knowing how RachelV packs for ski trips, she'll get that list all into a waist pack! :laugh:

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Knowing how RachelV packs for ski trips, she'll get that list all into a waist pack! :laugh:

LOL!

Rachel, I have a ton of gear you can borrow whenever you head out. I love my tent ... Big Agnes Seedhouse 2, I think. It is really light, but not really big enough for 2 adults (unless you are very close). I used it when the kids were smaller; we haven't been backpacking in a couple of years, so I'm not sure how it would fit us now. [clarifying that we put one adult and one child in it, not all of us. We also have a 3-man tent, for 2 others and a dog]

I also have the Big Agnes aircore pads, and I like those better than self-inflatables, too (comfort-wise). I have only about 12 nights on it, but haven't had any leakage problems. Only thing I'd do different is buy the insulated version.

We've used the same MSR stove my husband got in college, which was a long time ago. :-) I don't think you can go wrong with MSR. A heat exchanger is a nice extra, lowers boil time when it's cold out.

I have a lightweight Mountainsmith pack, I don't remember the name but I think it's about 3500 cubic in. REI down bag, again, a really light one, 0 degree rated. (I'm a cold sleeper)

As I said, you are welcome to borrow any of this stuff to see what you like and don't like. Just let me know.

And Kimmyt mentioned these: https://www.golite.com/salesevents/ Definitely hit one up; the one in Centennial isn't too far from me, I bought a rain jacket there in May (and actually needed it this year), and the deals were quite good. I didn't notice if they had tents, but they definitely had packs. The one in Lakewood isn't too far from you, but it closes in 2 days. (They reopen all the time, just check the website.)

abc

Banned
Ohers couldn't live without bringing everything but the kitchen sink.
This is no joke. Once I backpack in Lake Tahoe with a couple, the husband's pack was HUGE on him and he's a big guy to start with...

As we were setting up camp, I watch to see what he had in the pack. From it, he produced a wash basin!!!

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm not familiar with Colorado summer weather. When I lived in California, we don't take rain gears between May and November. It simply does not rain!

We definitely get rain showers in the mountains, but usually in the afternoon as opposed to overnight. Mostly it just gets cold, so a tent is mildly helpful for that. I have taken no-tent trips, before, not since I was about 24, though, lol. Only one-nighters, and we were very careful about the weather forecast.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks so much for all the advice so far! Super helpful. I foresee much time spent in REI in my near future.

I lol'ed at the "sleeping bags are rated by big sweaty guys" comment -- I have another smaller female friend who said she's always cold in a 0* bag, so it's probably true. :smile:

I am probably going to go with instant food in bags vs. a stove, at least for the first few times.

And -- true! I may have found the ultimate hobby to put my packing light superpowers to use! :smile:

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Instant food doesn't taste very good without boiling water added to reconstitute it. And I am not sure where you find boiling water on the trail other than making it yourself.

And ... don't underestimate the utility of warm drinks on a very cold morning. If you are a coffee drinker, it's a necessity. Or hot chocolate or tea when it's freezing.... mmmm.

[that's not to say you can't backpack without a stove ... but you'll have to bring real food, not instant food. It's heavier, but better for you. There is something about a hot meal in the outdoors, though... I don't like to go without, myself. Cup-o-Noodles tastes divine under the stars!]

Christy

Angel Diva
And -- true! I may have found the ultimate hobby to put my packing light superpowers to use!

When you cut the handle off your toothbrush (or drill holes in it), you know you've gone ultralight.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When you cut the handle off your toothbrush (or drill holes in it), you know you've gone ultralight.

Hey....what are you saying about my toothbrush? I've a friend who pours cold water into instant oatmeal (and everything else) to save the weight of carrying a stove...

Regarding minimalism, I think it's important to recognize when you're cutting weight vs. sacrificing something important to you. Like if you value staying warm when asleep: one friend sleeps cold and has always had a 3/4 length (~4') sleeping pad, but she's 6 feet tall, so the bottom third of her body was never on any insulation. Finally, she got a full-length pad and it's made a world of difference.

I think a lot of this stuff will require field testing to see what works for you. Have fun, Rachel!

Christy

Angel Diva
I totally agree. I cut, cut, cut, cut and cut, then started adding stuff back in, once I figured out what was really worth carrying (and a full length Thermarest was one of those items. So was an extra shirt--for a while I decided hey, who cares if it smells, I'm outdoors, I'll just wear the same shirt every day. It turned out I do care, very much, that my shirt smells.)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna