• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Back from my demo day! Decision made!!

MtnBikerChk

Diva in Training
Just to recap:
I'm replacing my beloved 2015 BP88s (166) which owe me nothing.

me: 50yo 5'2", been skiing the East Coast for 40 years with annual trips out west for the last 15 or so (Mostly CO, but Tahoe & Utah too).

My happy place: the trees at Keystone, CO. My home place: mount snow, VT - which has been so abysmal the last few years that I'm skiing less and less. In the absence of trees and bumps I'm a short radius turner down the groomers.

TODAY: demo mountain Ski Sundown, New Hartford, CT. Not the best place to demo the terrain I like but we take what we can get.
Weather: at the start 8:45am it was low 30s and every thing was FIRM!! By the time I left at 11:30 things were SOFT - Temps are climbing into the 50s today.

The skis all 2024-2025 (in order)
1. Nordica Santa Ana 88 in 167 - I liked them but they didn't really do anything for me. They held the steep FIRM morning trail great. When I brought them back he said "here, try the 92s. They have a little more wood in them and people are finding that THESE have the pop you're looking for."
2. Nordica Santa Ana 92 in 167 - he was right. One run down and these had POP. They were quick edge to edge and felt stable through the crud.
3.Nordica Unleashed 90 17something - didn't love it - felt very heavy. Could be the length.
4. Volkl Secret 88 in 163 (I think) - the rep told me these were the same as the Kenjas. They were ok. Felt kinda light. They didn't wow me.
5. Volkl Blaze 86 166 - LOVED these. Super stable and quick side to side. I actually may look for these on sale since he said there aren't major differences between 24 and 25
6.Solomon Stance 88 168 - these felt so light I felt like I was overpowering them. I was pushing each of these skis pretty hard to see how well they held an edge - and it held but I was uncomfortable with the weight. The rep said they are designed to be light on purpose. Sounds like Solomon makes a great touring ski - that's my next project after this ;)
7. Elan Ripstick 96 164 - meh. Too wide. And it's silly but I kept crossing the tails. The tails weren't any wider than any others I tried?!
8. Elan Ripstick 88 164 - I liked these much better than the 96s but they were LOUD! Seriously, I don't hear very well and these were off the charts (both the Ripsticks)

Last 2 runs I circled back to the Santa Ana 92s.

Then I ordered them. :smile: They should be here this week and I'll be taking them to Big Sky in April :smile:

Thanks for reading!

K.LoSki

Certified Ski Diva
Just to recap:

me: 50yo 5'2", been skiing the East Coast for 40 years with annual trips out west for the last 15 or so (Mostly CO, but Tahoe & Utah too).

My happy place: the trees at Keystone, CO. My home place: mount snow, VT - which has been so abysmal the last few years that I'm skiing less and less. In the absence of trees and bumps I'm a short radius turner down the groomers.

TODAY: demo mountain Ski Sundown, New Hartford, CT. Not the best place to demo the terrain I like but we take what we can get.
Weather: at the start 8:45am it was low 30s and every thing was FIRM!! By the time I left at 11:30 things were SOFT - Temps are climbing into the 50s today.

1. Nordica Santa Ana 88 in 167 - I liked them but they didn't really do anything for me. They held the steep FIRM morning trail great. When I brought them back he said "here, try the 92s. They have a little more wood in them and people are finding that THESE have the pop you're looking for."
2. Nordica Santa Ana 92 in 167 - he was right. One run down and these had POP. They were quick edge to edge and felt stable through the crud.
3.Nordica Unleashed 90 17something - didn't love it - felt very heavy. Could be the length.
4. Volkl Secret 88 in 163 (I think) - the rep told me these were the same as the Kenjas. They were ok. Felt kinda light. They didn't wow me.
5. Volkl Blaze 86 166 - LOVED these. Super stable and quick side to side. I actually may look for these on sale since he said there aren't major differences between 24 and 25
6.Solomon Stance 88 168 - these felt so light I felt like I was overpowering them. I was pushing each of these skis pretty hard to see how well they held an edge - and it held but I was uncomfortable with the weight. The rep said they are designed to be light on purpose. Sounds like Solomon makes a great touring ski - that's my next project after this ;)
7. Elan Ripstick 96 164 - meh. Too wide. And it's silly but I kept crossing the tails. The tails weren't any wider than any others I tried?!
8. Elan Ripstick 88 164 - I liked these much better than the 96s but they were LOUD! Seriously, I don't hear very well and these were off the charts (both the Ripsticks)

Then I ordered them. :smile: They should be here this week and I'll be taking them to Big Sky in April :smile:

Thanks for reading!
I am hoping to demo the new SAs. Im looking to replace my too short SAs that are a few years old and still have the two sheets of metal in them, i have a good feeling about the redesigned SAs! Yay new skis!

tika55

Certified Ski Diva
So interesting! I found the older SA 100s to have zero pop but redesign + different width + etc! This is why demos are important. :smile:

MtnBikerChk

Diva in Training
Thanks I'm excited. They'll be here by the end of next week in time for me to take them to VT. And if I hate them.....well they are a lot cheaper than bikes :smile:.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Just to recap:

Thanks for reading!
I still have my Blazes and we live close to each other. Let me know if you want them. Great write up. We couldn’t make it last weekend. Bummer enjoy your new stix. Yes, bikes are as much as a car now!

KathrynC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm late to the party here!

This is perhaps a silly question, but did you have them on the right feet?

The first time I demoed Ripsticks (in 88), I didn't realise that they are asymmetric. I had them on the wrong feet, and I was fighting with the tails (crossing them, and catching them in lumpy snow) for the first hour or so.

I noticed "left" and "right" printed on the topsheets when I put them back on again after a break. They were SOOOO much better when they were on the correct feet!

Not that it really matters - I hope you are enjoying the Santa Anas!

MtnBikerChk

Diva in Training
I'm late to the party here!

This is perhaps a silly question, but did you have them on the right feet?

The first time I demoed Ripsticks (in 88), I didn't realise that they are asymmetric. I had them on the wrong feet, and I was fighting with the tails (crossing them, and catching them in lumpy snow) for the first hour or so.

I noticed "left" and "right" printed on the topsheets when I put them back on again after a break. They were SOOOO much better when they were on the correct feet!

Not that it really matters - I hope you are enjoying the Santa Anas!
Yep, I did :smile:

So I've gone dark mostly out of sheer embarassment.

I went to the shop to pick up my new Santa Anas and leaving the building I tripped, and broke my foot. It's not even a good story. SO my new skis sit in the garage in my new home made rack.

Dr says if I behave I can still ski Big Sky April 20th so that's my goal. This past Friday was week 3 and it'll be week 8 when we leave (should be healed in 6). I'm also going to PT - the man has put me back together more times than I can count so I trust him and he said I'll be ready :smile:

at least I had time to put together my rack :smile:

Attachments

• PXL_20240303_135415112.jpg
    PXL_20240303_135415112.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna