• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Auras - Griffon or Marker 12 PC Ti

agcski

Diva in Training
Hello all,

So excited to finally get my hands on my new 163 Auras...demoed the 163's in Whistler then the 170s in the BC interior...loved the 170's but because I have moved back east and only get back out west to ride actual mountains every once in a while, I decided that the 163's would be more fun and make my ski vacations less exhausting.

Now the tough question: bindings! I have been told by two different techs that I should get either the Griffon or the Marker 12.0 Piston Control Turbo...I am a 80 per cent off-piste aggressive skier.

From what I understand the Marker is better for all mountain and the Griffon is better in the park...does anyone know if this is true? I tend to stay out of the park (to avoid embarrassment) but my concern is the height the Markers give...I can understand if you were dealing with hard pack a lot that would be helpful but luckily I don't very often. But I was told that the Marker offers stability and smoothness. The Griffons are lighter and considering the weight of the ski already.....needless to say I am confused!

Any guidance would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!!!

-agc

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Is there a need to stick with Marker? I have Salomon Z10 Ti's on mine, and LOVE them. The Z12s would work, too ... they are very light, and the Auras are light, but both strong ... I think the combo is great, especially if you ever hike with them.

alyeskaluv

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also have the Salomon Z10 TIs on my 163 Auras and LOVE them - they keep the set-up really light, which is nice because the Aura is a pretty light, yet stiff, ski.

I initially mounted my Auras with the Marker 12.0s with Piston Control and I did not like those bindings on the Aura at all. I am fairly strong (5'7" and 145ish) and I found them very heavy and a lot more work to turn, especially in crud and pow. I know that some stronger and more aggresive Divas like the Markers with PC, but for me they were all wrong.

As a matter of comparison, when I was swapping the Z10s for the Markers, I made my tech weigh the bindings (because he told me I wouldn't really be saving that much weight) and the Z10 was 1/2 the weight of the Marker 12 . . . IMO, that's a huge difference. Other Divas have also endorsed the Rossi/Look/Dynastar freestyle bindings for the Aura.

Good luck :smile:

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the 11.0 PC on mine and love them. However, I'm an aggressive racer/skier and spend 90% of my time on midwest hardpack. The PC switch really helps the Aura stick on the hardpack and ice.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If I were going to mount new Auras with new bindings, I'd be tempted to go with Griffons.

I really like the wider mounting pattern on them.

cloudpeak

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have Z12's on a pair of Auras and Griffons on my HellBents. They're both great bindings. IMO, you can't go wrong with either binding.

sasha

Diva in Training
I agree! I demo'd the Aura's with Marker bindings, and I could barely lift the suckers onto the gondola... never mind hike across the flats. I have the Z10s on my skis at home, and I love them -- nice and light, with pretty colors!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga