• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Anyone with IT Band issues

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SO glad you're feeling better! It really stinks when you get slowed down right in the middle of your training. You are going to be so ready...you're going to kick some major tri butt!

Bad news, though...I waited too long waffling, and it's full. :( No Tri for the Cure for me. I'm really thinking I'm going to do Rattlesnake now and am looking for another tri or two to wrap up my season. Assuming I survive Boulder Peak this weekend, that is! :eek:

Skimom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
SO glad you're feeling better! It really stinks when you get slowed down right in the middle of your training. You are going to be so ready...you're going to kick some major tri butt!

Bad news, though...I waited too long waffling, and it's full. :( No Tri for the Cure for me. I'm really thinking I'm going to do Rattlesnake now and am looking for another tri or two to wrap up my season. Assuming I survive Boulder Peak this weekend, that is! :eek:

I don't know about kicking major butt...but I do think I will at least finish. (Wish I could have DD run for me!). I've been doing some open water swims...I have to admit, I like the pool better! I got in about 5 days before they closed. Too bad you can't do it! Best of luck this weekend.

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Skimom, I'll definitely be there to cheer you on! So glad you're feeling better.

Jillian

Certified Ski Diva
This thread has really useful info! I have found, in addition to the previous recommendations, Bowen Therapy and (if you have Morton's Foot) insoles with a slight wedge or posting under the first metatarsal can also help. Hope everyone finds something that helps!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I'm currently working on what appears to be a shortened hip tendon. Not altogether dissimilar in terms of treatment of IT band (roller, etc), perhaps slightly different exercises. Have to get it stretched, my hip x-ray isn't too pretty right now. No bone wear yet but could start :eek: If anyone else has experienced same, please advise. Speaks a lot to my turn side preference, etc. Need to get this resolved!

Jillian

Certified Ski Diva
Yes MaineSkiLady I am working on the same problem, and identify with your comment re "turn side preference". Have you tried, during the acute phase, a heel lift in your shoe on the other side? Do you know how you acquired your problem? Could go on for ages about this - with long list of what I have done,
but thankfully skiing helps me!?!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Thanks, Jillian, ah, "misery loves company." I am currently doing the "raise knee, pull toward opposite shoulder" routine. If you've got any exercise that helps you, please share. I apparently have been walking about with this issue for +- 20 (:eek:) years, and yes, I do know the source: an "offending internal organ" that was pressing on sciatic nerve and is now "gone with the wind." Body's response to sciatic pain is to tense up/spasm, and this eventually resulted in shortening the tendon. (Orthopedic surgeon said it was possibly a "congenital deformity" --- not) Chiropractor did mention heel lift, but we're trying to avoid this. I'm a good "correction" patient and also obey the physical therapy rules. So I hope to get this tendon lengthened with hard work. I watched my mom do it many years ago -- after years of working in office and wearing high heels (ah, the 1950's...), she shortened both achilles tendons. Wow, she couldn't put her heels down when barefoot for 2 years. Eventually she got it (and never wore high heels again).

Please share any good exercises you've got. Thanks for replying.

Jillian

Certified Ski Diva
MaineSkiLady, my reply did not fit in the allowed time - would a PM work better?
Also I am currently thinking about whether a skier's edge machine could be used therapeutically?? Hopefully a Diva will jump in here!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
MaineSkiLady, my reply did not fit in the allowed time - would a PM work better?
Also I am currently thinking about whether a skier's edge machine could be used therapeutically?? Hopefully a Diva will jump in here!
Not sure what the post character limit is...:noidea: but I think it's the same for pm's? But absolutely, pm me! Might have to be a 2-parter, either for forum post or pm, which is fine.

No idea about the Skier's Edge/benefit. I've never used one. And don't really have the space/$ for one, but I'd also like to hear about it. If you've got good static/active exercises, I'd love to hear!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Mod Note: Just so you know -- there's a 10,000 character limit to forum posts (which is pretty large), and a 5,000 character limit to PMs. If something is taking you a really long time to compose, it's best to draft it in a word processing file, then copy and paste it into the message box.

Jillian

Certified Ski Diva
These will seem unlikely - happy to explain,
"Back Care Basics" by Mary Pullig Schatz MD
Spineforce machine
Jazzercise, for starters!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
These will seem unlikely - happy to explain,
"Back Care Basics" by Mary Pullig Schatz MD
Spineforce machine
Jazzercise, for starters!
I'm going to look up the first 2, notably the book, don't have to ask about #3, though! I was a frequent and fairly long-term Jazzerciser and WILL VOUCH for all its benefits! :D Miss it miss it miss it....but out here in The Super-Boonies, the nearest class is about an hour and a half away :(.....so I have every ancient videotape and newer DVD made! (not half the fun of a class though....)

I'm beginning to realize, per my chiropractor, how much of this originates in the lower back....

All this is very interesting, and apparently many of us have this issue. Let's keep talking.

Jillian

Certified Ski Diva
Well the lower back is connected to the hip, via the pelvis. Over time there can be a chain reaction of subtle compensatory adjustments due to the interconnectedness of the musculoskeletal system - from the neck to the knee may possibly participate.At least in my case they do!
I was a lapsed jazzerciser until I found so much overlap between physiotherapy/orthopedic recommendations for exercise,strengthening,stretching etc and what I did in jazzercise classes. The cardio and resistance work is needed anyway, and the enjoyment, friendship and music mean you can stick with it.
All of the book is worth reading - covers more than backs only - including the chapter on scoliosis as hip problems are part of this disorder. Has a useful chapter on self assessment of flexibility and alignment and suggested routines with progression. You will still like the book if you dont like yoga.
Spineforce machine - find one with a physiotherapist who is very experienced with all the different ways it can be used.

Jillian

Certified Ski Diva
Hi again MaineSkiLady,
re "turn side preference" on my last trip I did a bit of work on this with a favourite instructor. On the tight side, I feel more confident, feel as if steering is stronger but turns are actually technically worse than weak side.

So we worked on both sides, in slow sticky heavy snow, and keeping the abs in all the way. This yielded results for the hip and knee as well
(unexpected).

Still looking for info on skiers edge machine - hope to find something soon. I have heard it is frequently used by physiotherapists in the US.
Hope you are feeling some improvement!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Hi again MaineSkiLady,
steering is stronger but turns are actually technically worse than weak side.
This is really interesting. Tell me more! I'm anxious (if we EVER get snow and out there!!!) to try this -- the above quote really hits it, though, so I definitely think we've got the same issue(s). Here I thought my ab work was really up to speed, but I'm obviously not "doing" enough of it while skiing! Working hard on stretches - "Rome wasn't built in a day" - took this tendon awhile to shorten, has been in this state for 20+- years (:eek:), won't stretch overnight! Keep that info coming, and thanks!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna