• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Anyone with IT Band issues

Skimom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, as itri know, I'm training for a triathlon. I've done some running in years past, but not more than 3 miles at a time, a few days a week, and it's been a couple years. Sunday I tried to run after a long bike ride and my knee gave out. DH says it IT band, and stretches will help, but it's sore again after bike riding again today. (I didn't even try to run). Yikes...I'm a little nervous and discouraged cause training was going well.:noidea: Any ideas?

abc

Banned
Backpacking, training for tri, you don't do thing at halfs, do you? ;-)

First possibility, is your saddle too low?

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree, cycling is one of the things that I always seem to be able to do do when my knee is sore. Even this weekend I started with a little tenderness on Sunday but a couple miles in it was gone. Have you had a fitter take a look at you on your bike? You might take it down to Bicycle Village just down the road from you and see what they can do for you.

Skimom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You might take it down to Bicycle Village just down the road from you and see what they can do for you.

Backpacking, training for tri, you don't do thing at halfs, do you? ;-)

First possibility, is your saddle too low?

Yep, that's me! It's all or nothing! JK LOL (as my daughter would say!)

Thanks for the advice!

SkiNurse

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Go to Target in the execise section and buy yourself a foam roller. It has done WONDERS for my IT bands which really bother me during ski season. Comes with a video to show you the different rolling out techniques.

For my IT bands, I do what my trainer showed me (24 hour fitness really encourages the foam roller also).

Lying on my side, put the roller at the hip/femur joint.

Balancing yourself on your arm, roll yourself down to your knee...slowly...then roll back. I do this 3-4 times on each side.

It has made such a difference.

altagirl

Staff member
Do make sure your bike setup is correct. Just FYI - while running is worse, cycling can also irritate the IT band. It's typically an overuse injury and you can do too much on your bike just like you can running. Especially if you already have an IT band issue.

https://www.cptips.com/knee.htm

Foam rollers help a lot. I've also found massage therapists who specialize in sports related stuff and who can really dig into the IT band can help as well.

Other than that it's rest, ice and massage...

BackCountryGirl

Angel Diva
Try the yoga pose called pigeon -- a great IT band stretch.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Try the yoga pose called pigeon -- a great IT band stretch.

Ditto. Double pigeon, especially. Stack the ankles and knees on top of each other, keeping the shins parallel to the "mat."

doub.jpg

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, I've SO been there. I was actually in PT for ITB stuff while I was training for my half-marathon, although my problems were at the hip rather than the knee. You've gotten some good advice so far, but I will add to it.

Ice is your best friend. Always after workouts, and more often if you're sore. It really is the miracle drug. You can ice as much as 20-30 minutes per hour, but it is important to allow the tissues to warm up between icings.

Core strengthening. For me, core strengthening made all the difference in the world. My core weakness was translating into way too much pelvic movement as I was running which was causing my hip pain. Getting on a core strengthening program can really make a huge difference.

Ibuprofen. Obviously, ibuprofen is great for short-term pain-relief. If the pain continues to nag for a long period of time though, you can take ibuprofen to help knock out some of the inflammation. In order to get the anti-inflammatory properties when using over-the-counter ibuprofen, you have to take a regular dosage at least 2-3x a day for 5-7 days before those properties begin to kick in. It's also important when doing this to make sure that you're not taking the ibuprofen on an empty stomach. Take it with food in the stomach, or with a glass of milk. This should be kind of a last-ditch effort if other things aren't working, but it can be very effective in knocking out the inflammation.

HTH a little! The best laid training plans never run exactly smooth...mine have been full of PT and MRIs! :p

Skimom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I really can't thank you all enough! I did my little run this morning and feel good. I did stretches and now I'm icing! I have a foam roller for my back and did that yesterday for my knee! I will keep it up!

Pinto...I had dry needling for my back and loved it! It was awesome!

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I really can't thank you all enough! I did my little run this morning and feel good. I did stretches and now I'm icing! I have a foam roller for my back and did that yesterday for my knee! I will keep it up!

Pinto...I had dry needling for my back and loved it! It was awesome!

Good deal ... it's not that well-known, so I try to spread the word. It really was effective for me, and for everyone I know who's tried it.

I have some friends who've been using the laser therapy for tendon injuries (mostly tennis elbow, but other stuff, too), and they swear by it. That one doesn't even hurt! But I've never done it.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
BTW, skimom, I'm *really* leaning towards doing Tri for the Cure...depending on how my knee holds up over the next week or so. Had a cortisone shot on Monday, so if that kicks in and works, I think I will probably do it! (maybe Rattlesnake Sprint tri, too, we'll see!)

Skimom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Let me know! I have a friend who may do the rattlesnake tri! I would be intimidated to do a coed tri!

Skimom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Update for anyone who cares...and even those who don't:wink:.

Moving my bike seat up has helped tremendously. Thanks ABC for recommending that. Huge improvement.

Love the foam roller...although it hurts and is a little hard to do, it's worked wonders. As have the other stretches that people have suggested. THANKS!

I'm on the mend and getting ready for the tri!

tradygirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good to hear!! Just remember that it will never really go away. Constant Vigilance! :D

You ladies rock - I've had I-band issues for years and you guys covered all the bases (especially stuff that really WORKS) that took me years to figure out very thoroughly. How could I expect anything less? :love:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna