• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Anyone else into Waterskiing

Greeley

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm just itchin' to get out on the water again!! Usually, by this date back in the Midwest, we'd have been hard at it since about 5/20.

I have to check out some of the new skis on the market, too.

Lake water here just got to 60 degrees----which is much better than the water in my pool (53 :eek:). At 65 on the lake, we are ON - and in full wetsuits. That is, if I can dig the boat out of the garage.....and afford the (PREMIUM :eek:) gas! Fortunately, it's efficient, and a tank full lasts awhile.

Anyone else get started yet???

I finally got started on May 14th, about a month later than normal here in the midwest. I have still only skied 5 times, but at least we are finally skiing naked (no neoprene). The weather just isn't cooperating this year, we just can't get out of the windy & stormy cycle. the bad part is I am supposed to ski in a tournament on Saturday and definately not ready.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
^^^ Wow, g, a tournie!? Already? GOOD LUCK!! Yeah, the water is far more amenable to early skiing there than it is here. Been there, done that (though never in April in that region). Big difference: I was SNOW skiing here on May 1! But this is definitely the weekend for us to get going. I myself am a mere recreational hacker-----but I sure enjoy it :smile: --- let us know how you fare!!

Greeley

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I bailed on the tournament on Saturday. It wasn't raining for a change, but the wind was blowing 20-30 mph from the south. Course skiing in whitecaps just isn't much fun (or very safe). It looks like my first tournament will be the state tournament in July.
I just want the lake to look like this the rest of the summer...

Attachments

• DSC00021x.JPG
    DSC00021x.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 6

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
Anybody else still water skiing while they wait for the snow to fall? With a water temp of about 55, I am starting to layer the neoprene so I can avoid the dry suit a little longer!

snowmiser

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good for you Mary Tee!

I was doing the same last fall, but haven't been able to this year and the water is sooooo calm!!! :(
My new baby is occupying quite a large percentage of my time, so we wound up taking the boat out very early this year.

Make a few cuts for me will ya!

Regards!

~Anne~

Greeley

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
No, I am done for the season, I put my ski away about 2 weeks ago. I thought I would quit on a high note this season, instead of the usual cold & stiff passes and regressing. It was calm and about 70, all I needed was a neo top. I got back to my personal best after messing up my knee on a wakeboard, so I was happy. I also lost my daytime ski partner about the same time. He blew his achillies tendon in a tournament in Florida.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Argh :mad: -- was one of our lightest seasons ever.....if it wasn't raining, it was windy (and our lake is vulnerable...) - and gas peaked at $4.50/gal :eek: - making alternative activities more appealing....on the few days that would have been good.

Haven't winterized yet but should. Last year, DH got in a couple of miles on 10/22 (in MAINE). Doubt that will happen this year. Lake is 52. Time to fog, strip & button 'er up...

Nautique Girl

Certified Ski Diva
I use to run the course but I didn't like the early spring and late fall team schedule (I guess it was to avoid the boat traffic during the summer) It was just too darn cold, even with a dry suit in mid-November! When the ice started to form on the docks on day, I said, that's it for me:smile: Now own my third boat (this time sharing with my DH) a Sport Nautique. I ski first then fill the ballast to do a little relaxed boarding. The upper Willamette river is 20 minutes away (glass, of course!) and Mt. Hood is 1+ hour. We've got the best of both worlds & summers are awesome!

I've had several skis but mainly ski on a Kidder. After some guy at our garage sale started eying my Kidder Redline-then came back next day and again begged me to sell it, I decided to take it back out on the water last year. Boy did I miss that ski and now only when the water is a bit choppy will I use one of my others. What was I thinking!!

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
Waterskiing 2009

We finally had our first ski of the season yesterday.

Between bad weather, SO's bout with a kidney stone and me doing battle with some poison ivy (the poison ivy won), this is the latest we've ever gotten started.

I find it very funny that before the first ski of the year (water or snow) I keep thinking "I forgot how to do this...I am going to get out there and have to start all over from the beginning because I don't remember how to ski"
Of course, I got in the water, the slack came out of the rope, "hit it" and I was flying! what fun!!!!
Hopefully we will get a course in this summer and I will finally start learning the course.

this morning the wind is dead calm, but it is raining (again) with probability of thunder storms :(

Greeley

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is a warning once you start skiing in a course it is very addictive! You will need your adrenaline rush AT LEAST every other day. Good luck and don't get too frustrated at first. You only get a shot at 6 turns during a pass compared to hundreds during 1 run on the snow.
We have also had a slow start to our season this year. The weather just hasn't been cooperating. I can't believe it is mid-June already and I'm still wearing my neo top. What happened to global warming??

jessie.says.that

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just tried waterskiing with my cousins two weekends ago for the first time. It's so much fun. They of course all wakeboard, but I insisted on trying out the "training skis" they had lying around.

What's the difference?

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
I'm not sure what you mean by training skis. If they are beginner skis they are probably a little wider, which gives you more surface area making it easier to get up. Some beginner skis have a bar or rope attached to the front of the skis to keep the tips together, but you see that mostly on kids skis.

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
Water Ski Gloves

I tried a pair of size small Connelly water ski gloves on in a shop and they were too big, so when I saw size extra small come up on e-bay I jumped on them. Of course, when I got them, they were way too small. I am just trying to get my money back, so am letting these $45.00 gloves go for $15.00. Anybody interested???

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga