• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Anyone else into Waterskiing

Greeley

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I spend my summers skiing in the slalom course. Is anyone else into slalom skiing? I only know 2 other women that are into course skiing.

Unfortunately.....I've water-skied one time and it wasn't a big thrill for me! I like to be in control of my speed....not have someone else in control of it for me! :o

Quiver Queen

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sure did water ski a lot when I lived in Alabama (it was so hot you had to do something in the water!), and went to camps in Florida, but have only had two days on the water since moving to New England 12 years ago. Now I'm not allowed to ski due to arm surgery, but still have my 15-years old Kidder Redline in the garage. Barefooted one day, but felt like it beat the living puckey out of my body--not worth it!

Greeley

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Evryone I know that has tried barebooting has the same opinion. I prefer slalom - nothing like ripping across that wake at 50- 60mph.

skigirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Lil: WOW!!!! Those Guys are GREAT!!!! WOW!!

We used to water ski all the time. My husband outgrow our boat and only liked to ski behind my brother's offical water ski boat, which is only in NY for 5 weeks at the end of June and beginning of July. My brother lives in Texas and brings his boat up every year for 5 weeks. I gave up water skiing when my shoulders could no longer take it and my husband stopped skiing as much when he blew his left knee apart. My brother still water skis all the time. He lives on Austin Lake, TX and spends 5 weeks in NY every summer. I still have to drive or spot for him when he is here.

snowmiser

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I like to slalom ski all summer too! My personal license plate is TYM2SKI. Works for the summer ski season and the winter ski season. Water skiing sure helps to keep your legs in shape for ski season!:smile: .

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
How'd I miss this older thread??
ME ME ME!
Been waterskiing awhile, started when I was 36. No course skiing, just recreational slalom, but it's great living 1/4 mile from a nice lake now (and 88 ft deep!) where there are few if any other boats - it's gone mostly kayaking now, which I also intend to pursue this summer. But yeah, waterskiing, it's way big in the Midwest, where I used to live. Now, we're often the only skiers on the lake! Talk about undiscovered!! Can't wait til June 08!
(But ouch, is filling that tank gonna be painful - :( )

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Not to worry, not to worry! Around here, we try to see how close we can get these seasons together. At least DH does. Last year, he came close: October 23 or something like that, in a full wetsuit, for waterskiing (water was 50), and a couple of weeks later on snow. If he hikes Tucks and skis that in May, he COULD manage an overlap.

I, on the other hand, am a cold water wimp. Not enough body fat...

snowmiser

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last year on Christmas Day, we had a couple of die-hard slalom skiers on the lake. Our lake is really deep and takes forever to freeze over, but I've never seen anybody else ski that late in the year on our lake, and I've lived on this lake forever.

ski chick

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We are water skiers

We spend most of our ski time on Loon Lake, just south of Schroon, in the 'daks. Last summer we spent a week on the St. Lawrence, and it was heaven. The water was actually warm! I grew up on that river, and don't remember it ever being that warm.

Loon is really tiny, so the water skiing can get pretty boring. Next summer- a wakeboard!

SueNJ

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We've got a boat and we're a half block from the lake, but I haven't tried waterskiing yet (just got the boat last August). We've got skis and a wakeboard, and my SO and DS took to waterskiing like fish to water (lousy analogy, sorry...) and SO's DD got the hang of wakeboarding her first day out. Maybe I'll give waterskiing a try this season.

Our lake gets absolutely nuts-o on the weekends. We usually do a few laps around the lake and just anchor in a cove for swimming on the weekends, but weeknights are fair game for waterskiing since the crowds aren't there. I'd love to retire somewhere that has a big, uncrowded lake for boating/waterskiing in warm weather and some awe-inspiring mountains for snow skiing in winter. Still looking for that perfect place...

Severine

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to waterski. My dad got a boat with my grandpa when I was in 7th or 8th grade. Waterskied every weekend for 6 summers. I do miss it.

mollmeister

Angel Diva
We don't get out behind the boat in CO (no one we know has one, lol), but when we visit DH's family in NC, we spend most of our time wakeboarding on Lake Norman.

I have never been much of a waterskier (probably because I learned behind a boat that was NOT a ski boat. I am lucky my arms are still in their sockets), but I love wakeboarding. I am not all that great at it, which means that most of my attempts at really big jumps have ended in minor, but painful injury, but it's awesome to get out behind the boat. And it's fun to watch DH and his siblings, who have been working at it a lot longer than I have!

I should say that I have reservations about all the gas we're using, but I can't quite give it up entirely. :redface:

skihawk

Certified Ski Diva
I've always wanted to water ski! Unfortunately, the boat we had access to was used by my whole family. The last time I tried to ski, I tried for about 20 minutes. This is with all 6 of my boy cousins anxiously waiting for their turn. When I couldn't do it... I decided to just enjoy tubing. I think that I am ready to give it another try this year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I'd love to retire somewhere that has a big, uncrowded lake for boating/waterskiing in warm weather and some awe-inspiring mountains for snow skiing in winter. Still looking for that perfect place...
Hmmmm - the above makes me think, long and hard....kind of like Kevin Costner at the end of "Field of Dreams" - "Maybe this IS heaven." (as opposed to merely Iowa)

But oh do please try waterskiing. This is a seriously wonderful sport that was once neck and neck with snow skiing for me for passion factor. (not anymore - summers short here, water cold, winters are better)

SouthernSkier

Certified Ski Diva
I'd love to retire somewhere that has a big, uncrowded lake for boating/waterskiing in warm weather and some awe-inspiring mountains for snow skiing in winter. Still looking for that perfect place...
That is tricky. Water skiing is easy here in the Southeast, but snow skiing is not very good. Maybe New Mexico or Nevada - they have good skiing in areas, and I always *think* of them being hot. Pure speculation, though.

Mary Tee

Angel Diva
What water ski is anybody skiing on? Is anyone using a female specific ski? Does anyone know if there is any real difference, or in the water ski world is it still "shrink & pink"? I asked this question on one of the waterski forums and got a lot of responses from guys about which ski they thought their wives thought were the prettiest!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga