• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Any technique tips/ things to know about switching to flat pedals?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Contessandt, just a note about "pedal down" when cornering. It's more appropriate for high speed, non-technical corners (think berms) than it is for any type of turn on a technical trail. Now, if you are turning your hips properly, the outside pedal may drop some, which ok , but pedal down isn't something to strive for when learning.
Thanks, geargrrl--I'll get that idea out of my head and start visualizing it with pedals flat. I am probably NOT turning my hips properly, or, well, at all because I don't even ride the damn switchback yet! :tongue:

Anyway, any advice on trails to ride in the Spokane area? I have a feeling nothing's going to feel too hard (unless super technical, of course) since I've been riding at 6000-8000 feet!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks, Altagirl! I do all that, I am even learning to drop the outside pedal down which only feels natural when turning left. BUT with the steeper downhill switchbacks or the ones that have a gully for an entrance, (which they all seem to have especially this year) I won't even attempt them because I chicken out! It's like there are just too many weird variables to deal with all at once, and I just can't handle it. It's hard to swing wide when the trail has a gully in it that pushes you to the middle. Add the loose dirt and big loose rocks and I'm a mess. I can ride several of them going UP just fine. It just turns into sensory overload when going down them. I need to find a course with perfect downhill switchbacks all lined up so I can practice getting the balance part down so the added variables aren't so scary. But that's not easy to find ;) (Imagine that!)

Lots of good advice here. I just want to say that if you're not feeling that switchback that day, there's no law saying you have to ride it. It's always fine to walk something if it's just too much.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
when are you going to be in town? There are a few options but you have to get out early. It's been hot out!! I'd be happy to show you around, and you might even catch one of our Biking Betty rides!

Last edited:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
when are you going to be in town? There are a few options but you have to get out early. It's been hot out!! I'd be happy to show you around, and you might even catch one of our Biking Betty rides!

I was JUST going to ask if you'd be doing any clinics by chance, too! I am SO down with riding early, no worries there. Same temps here in UT as in Spokane, so I'm well-acclimated :D Would love to catch a group ride, too, anything! My husband will also be along and we have Grandma to watch our daughter, so we can both ride. :thumbsup: He's a fair bit faster than me.

I basically have two days I'll be able to ride: July 19th or July 20th. We roll into town on the 18th. Head to Priest Lake on the 21st or 22nd--haven't decided yet.

Lots of good advice here. I just want to say that if you're not feeling that switchback that day, there's no law saying you have to ride it. It's always fine to walk something if it's just too much.

Oh yes, I have no shame and walk when I need to! Hence why I've walked these two switchbacks in particular since I first started riding last year. I ride this trail a LOT. It's time to start riding the switchbacks! I couldn't ride up them for the first maybe 10 rides. There are still some I can't ride up--mostly due to those darn ruts.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I am teaching the night of the 20th so I am not free then and the class is full. If I'm in town, 19th will work, or 20th in the AM. We are going to be gone sometime in between the 13-20th but I don't know exact dates yet. I'll PM you contact info.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am teaching the night of the 20th so I am not free then and the class is full. If I'm in town, 19th will work, or 20th in the AM. We are going to be gone sometime in between the 13-20th but I don't know exact dates yet. I'll PM you contact info.
Sounds great! And let me know if anybody cancels out of that class :D

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I was freaked out about the drop off on the pretty famous (but really very intermediate) flume trail in Tahoe. Wasn't at all technical but narrow single track with a 1,300 ft drop off and amazing views of Lake Tahoe. So I walked hugging the side of the mountain until I was comfortable enough to get back on my bike. End of story. I did it!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Yeah, that'd freak me out a fair amount!
Yes, and friends climbed down through the poison oak to the river where my bike landed….. I somehow lifted myself up (not sure how) and sat traumatized… could not believe my luck….. and stupidity for not paying attention...

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I did have two cancellations but that night is part 2 of a 2 part class and you'd miss a whole bunch if you didn't do part 1.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Funny this bumped back up as I just switched back to clipless last weekend!

Overall a year or so on flats was super helpful and I think really improved my skills. I only switched back because I'm going to do a few more Xterra triathlons this summer and am trying to increase my speed a little (there is plenty of room for it to improve!)

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can see switching back in that case. One thing the gal who led our clinic said on Tuesday was, "you have to be fully committed when clipped in" and she's right, of course. Meaning, any hesitancy is not good. I have lots of hesitancy still! I'm not planning to make racing a regular thing so I'll stay with the flats :becky:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna