• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Any snow anywhere East?

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Or west for that matter? Have students looking for alternative destinations.

MissySki

Angel Diva
East? Not that I know of.

I have been seeing people say Steamboat is doing better than many, but don’t know that first hand. Deb Armstrong did a a Christmas video there that looked good though, and I think they got like 2 feet of snow during/after it.

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
East? Not that I know of.

I have been seeing people say Steamboat is doing better than many, but don’t know that first hand. Deb Armstrong did a a Christmas video there that looked good though, and I think they got like 2 feet of snow during/after it.
It looks Steamboat got a lot of snow over the weekend. Alta base is at 56" but the steep parts are scraped off & rocky. There is only a little bit of snow in the forecast for the new year. Pray ❄️☃️

MissySki

Angel Diva
It looks Steamboat got a lot of snow over the weekend. Alta base is at 56" but the steep parts are scraped off & rocky. There is only a little bit of snow in the forecast for the new year. Pray ❄️☃️
I’m quite sure it can’t be worse than what we have in the East right now in any case.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Are you there? 100% open but the report shows a base of 33". Unless they are making lots of snow. serious scraping.
We were there during the storm the week of Dec. 11. Two years ago Wolf Creek was 100% open around the same time with mid-mountain base lower than 3 feet. It's the type of place that if you know where to go, it can be quite fun during low snow levels or with deep snow. Based on my experience, Wolf Creek with low snow at 100% is a better early season destination than Alta for travelers who have to plan months in advance.

Stats can only tell you so much. In the last five years I've skied Alta, Jackson Hole, and a few other destination resorts in Colorado around mid-December. Vail and Beaver Creek were fun to explore last week, but I wouldn't plan an early season trip there over Wolf Creek.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Sounds like you've hit success on all your Wolf Creek trips... those are some good stats ! Early December is always an unknown in most places. Last year I skied Tahoe in several feet of snow right after Thanksgiving. This year Tahoe's been a bit of a bust so far. That can change. Quickly.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm thankful for midweek skiing and skiing at my small hill on holidays. We have LOTS Of Man made snow- I've had very nice conditions considering mother nature is on strike.. Gore and Royal mt.

Christy

Angel Diva
Things are bad in WA too. This isn't unknown, to have a poor December in an El Nino year. Things generally pick up in January; let's hope they do. I mean, Snoqualmie over Xmas break should be mobbed. There's one guy here right now

1703782495913.png

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Things are bad in WA too. This isn't unknown, to have a poor December in an El Nino year. Things generally pick up in January; let's hope they do. I mean, Snoqualmie over Xmas break should be mobbed. There's one guy here right now

View attachment 22128
That looks pretty great to me, although I can't see into the woods. Here is @MissySki and me on a ride up Spruce at Sunday River today. Thank goodness for snowmaking!Skiing 20231228.jpg

Christy

Angel Diva
So the base is officially 30"-48" at Snoqualmie anyway, but we generally need at the very least 36" to cover up the brush and stumps just on the groomers. Ski areas here don't mow or "groom" runs in summer and there's a lot of gullies and such that need filing in. It's gotten rained on plenty to the general conditions sound not good. It's going to rain again today. It's pretty warm out there.

Here's today's report. Maybe it's not as bad as some places, but you are still skiing groomers, without ideal coverage, in the rain.

Crazy as it sounds we picked up another inch of snow since yesterday and it's currently snowing but it's probably going to end in a little bit. Last night the Groomers were out turning it into corduroy and combined with the temperatures the snow should be soft, carvable, and fun, just remember it's still a low tide out there and watch for hazards especially if you leave the groomed runs...

...Our grooming team has been doing an amazing job working with what little snow they have. Summit West has the most groomed terrain, but Holiday and Gallery over at Summit Central are smoothed out quite nicely too. The terrain off Central Express has minimal grooming and the few passes we were able to make on Golden Nugget are somewhat narrow, so be sure to give your fellow skiers and riders plenty of space.

Jilly

Staff member
Talking to one of the Info-guides today and he said, Tremblant has the most terrain open in the east. Geez..we aren't even at 50%. And it will be less tomorrow for sure. The sun is trying to come out now.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga