• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ankle brace or compression sleeve

Latetotheparty

Certified Ski Diva
I am having a great deal of trouble with a wobbly weak ankle, and I wondered if anyone else has had trouble with that, and how they have solved the problem.
I sprained it several times as a child and young adult, and now it rolls to the outside. My boot fitter has done a lot, but is puzzled how to further help. Any ideas?

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am having a great deal of trouble with a wobbly weak ankle, and I wondered if anyone else has had trouble with that, and how they have solved the problem.
I sprained it several times as a child and young adult, and now it rolls to the outside. My boot fitter has done a lot, but is puzzled how to further help. Any ideas?
What physiotherapy and strengthening exercises have you done for your ankle in the past?

Jilly

Staff member
I would not have room to put anything except K-tape in my boot. So that makes me think your boot does not have the support, or is too big in that area.

I like @scandium idea. This should be affecting you in normal walking too.

Latetotheparty

Certified Ski Diva
What physiotherapy and strengthening exercises have you done for your ankle in the past?
I’ve done a lot over the years- I see a physical therapist fairly regularly for “tune-ups”, but she can’t get me again until the 28th. I think I will try the K tape. I was just hoping that one of you knew of some special skier sleeve that I could get in my boot!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The only other thing would be some kind of thin support / compression sock

Latetotheparty

Certified Ski Diva
I would not have room to put anything except K-tape in my boot. So that makes me think your boot does not have the support, or is too big in that area.

I like @scandium idea. This should be affecting you in normal walking too.
I will talk to my bootfitter again, thanks! It is affecting my walking in a big way.
May husband had foot surgery and for months after his recovery, he'd have swelling. The doc suggested these support sleeves. They are pretty thin, so maybe worth a try? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014J5PR4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Latetotheparty

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you very much! I got a compression sleeve at a medical supply store, and will give it a whirl on Monday when I ski again. I’ve been wearing it today, and it seems to help keep my foot straight.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
My ankle was weak and painful for months after my injury last season. My PT suggested compression socks and they seemed to make a difference.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just a thought. Do you have high arches? If so, do you have orthotics in your boots, shoes? I ask because I was seeing a PT for Peroneal Tendonitis. I mentioned that my shoes hurt my ankle and couldn't figure out why. She looked at my foot, measured the height of my arch and how much it moved with my weight on it. She diagnosed my foot type as "Pes Cavus". High, rigid arch that does not flatten with weight bearing. This is opposite of a pronator foot. She warned me to be very careful with "hard arch supports" as they would cause me to supinate. If I used any kind of arch support it should be soft. Makes sense since the heels of my shoes were worn on the outside rather than in the middle.

With the quick searching I've done there is limited research on this foot type which could explain why you're not getting answers from your boot fitter.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna