• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Alternatives to custom orthotics?

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This is sort of a rant/query!

I've had custom orthotics since high school. I have extremely flat feet and I've played sport forever, including track. Running with the flat feet (even in "stability" shoes) causes my ankle pain, which then usually heads up to knees and hips. The pair I have now are going on 9 years (I was told they could last up to 10) and so I've been looking to get new ones. However, much to my disappointment, my insurance company only covers custom orthotics if I have diabetes..which I don't. Back when I got my current ones, they covered half, making the bill much less substantial (and there was the fact that my parents' were foot it!). I don't know if I can really justify the multi-hundred dollar cost of new ones, but I feel like I need them.

That said...has anyone here used less expensive, non-custom alternatives with any luck? I'd like to at least try these options before I start saving up, or begging my parents for, money to buy new customs.

ps: I don't actually wear them in my ski boots, so not 100% ski related, but I've noticed that a number of you ladies have them so I thought I'd ask anyway.

pps: does anyone's insurance cover these at all anymore? I'm going too call out Harvard Pilgrim PPO for NOT covering. booooooo :mad2:

Robyn

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know a lot of people use Superfeet for skiing and other sports, you might give them a try.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
3 major pronators in this family. We all wear orthotics, have customs (for street shoes, different customs for ski boots) but not recently so might be in same boat as you in re: insurance coverage :(

Power Steps are good, DH swears by these - he walks 3-7 mi/day on concrete floors and replaces them every few months. They are available at a good price from an eBay vendor - don't have the link right now, just do a search on eBay for Power Steps. Will post link later.

I've also used Superfeet. The colors are indicative of what type of foot issue they specifically address.

Have a look on the site footsmart.com as well. Have made many purchases there. Good luck. "Feeling your pain." Totally.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My understanding of some of the foam type orthotics is that they have too much flex and give in them to correct certain types of arch problems. I do know this to be true of high arches that the foam gives too much in athletic situations like running, skiing etc where you are applying extraordinary pressure downward on the foot that they spread out or flatten and don't offer the best support. I don't know for sure with flat feet though, I would ask your Doc. Some sell products like superfeet in their offices as well.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Last winter, our physical therapist ("Serving the whole fam damily since 2006!") took our stock orthotics and trimmed them very carefully to make a good fit, said it was a good match. Pro opinion always a good idea, but the outlay is so minor compared to customs, it's usually worth a shot. I get DH's Power Steps on eBay for $23, shipping included. I'm more of a Superfeet fan.

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Superfeet are easy to find at most of the local sporting goods places like EMS and City Sports, so I might have to give those a shot first.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Certified athletic trainer with a decent bit of orthotics experience, here.

The big difference between custom orthotics and the off-the-shelf kind is that the custom are rigid and specifically tailored to your foot. The off-the-shelf are typically moldable. This means that a)they don't give nearly as much support and b)they don't last nearly as long. I'm a big fan of custom orthotics. I do think that off-the-shelf orthotics can work for a lot of people, but those people are typically the ones who don't have as severe of issues. The OTS models can also be a good bridge between nothing and custom (as in, try it and see if it helps before going the custom route).

In your case, I would be surprised if you'd be satisfied with an OTS orthotic after being in customs for so long. There's going to be a pretty big difference in how they feel, support-wise. You could certainly try it and see, though.

And I think that it's a rare insurance company that actually pays for DME (durable medical equipment) these days. When I was working in the PT clinic, we pretty much assumed that the cost of the orthotic was going to be out of pocket and were pleasantly surprised to find the occasional patient whose policy actually paid. I bought my orthotics almost 5 years ago, and it was one of the best purchases I've ever made. They were around $200, but for that money, I got them tweaked until they were right, even completely trashed and started over when the first pair wasn't quite right.

Daria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am a big believer in custom orthodics. My last pair served me well for probably 15 years. When you think about the average annual cost, it is not so bad.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think it's something you'll need to try and see for yourself. I tried superfeet (the blue ones) and they gave me heel pain. I also tried PowerSteps but those gave me a shooting pain in my arch. I then went to a podiatrist who made me a pair of semi-rigid customs-- they've been somewhat of an improvement over the others but I am still having pain issues and have not found my "cure" yet. Everyone's feet are different so you just have to try the over the counter ones and see I guess.

Christy

Angel Diva
I'm wondering about getting orthotics vs. just having Superfeet as well. As I was getting my custom footbed from my bootfitter he suggested that I look into orthotics for my regular shoes (my insurance pays 80%). I had been using Superfeet in my ski boots and hiking boots and while they used to serve me well, the past couple years I've been getting really sore feet, especially on backpacking trips. Anyway, so I started doing some internet reading and found some arguments against orthotics, too, like this one from the NY Times:*
https://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/22/fashion/thursdaystyles/22Fitness.html?pagewanted=print

It's encouraging to see the posts recommending them. Since I do have insurance I might just go ahead and bite the bullet and see what difference it makes.

*Not exactly against them but the article argues that many people don't need them--there are cheaper and better alternatives--and that they are prescribed so often because they are podiatrists' bread and butter

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm wondering about getting orthotics vs. just having Superfeet as well. As I was getting my custom footbed from my bootfitter he suggested that I look into orthotics for my regular shoes (my insurance pays 80%). I had been using Superfeet in my ski boots and hiking boots and while they used to serve me well, the past couple years I've been getting really sore feet, especially on backpacking trips. Anyway, so I started doing some internet reading and found some arguments against orthotics, too, like this one from the NY Times:*
https://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/22/fashion/thursdaystyles/22Fitness.html?pagewanted=print

It's encouraging to see the posts recommending them. Since I do have insurance I might just go ahead and bite the bullet and see what difference it makes.

*Not exactly against them but the article argues that many people don't need them--there are cheaper and better alternatives--and that they are prescribed so often because they are podiatrists' bread and butter

:jealous: of your insurance coverage.

michpc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I guess I'm a believer since I've had mine since high school when I was running 2 seasons of track every year. In addition, I've noticed that when wearing hiking boots without them, my pinkie toes go numb. But due to the fact that my insurance covers ZIP, I'm going to give the Superfeet a try, and maybe shop around to find an office that charges less than the $500 I was quoted when I went to make a podiatrist appointment!

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Holy crap! $500?! Either inflation has hit orthotics hard since I was last around them, or that guy's making a KILLING on them! I would definitely call around a few places and see what you can find out. You may also try calling some physical therapy clinics. Most clinics have a PT who is trained in orthotics, and they may potentially be a little cheaper than a podiatrist.

Telluride Ski Babe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have never tried them, but one of the founders of https://www.esoles.com/ was an old boyfriend of mine and made my orthotics, which have finally bitten the dust. They were perfect for me. His technology has advanced considerably since then (we're talking eons ago since he made mine), and when I'm next near one of eSoles' dealers, I'm going to have a pair made.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Superfeet are easy to find at most of the local sporting goods places like EMS and City Sports, so I might have to give those a shot first.

Superfeet, trim to fit are actually quite nice.
I have the hot pink Superfeet in my new boots and love them.

One pair of boots, I put my old Green Superfeet into and found out that the stuff they tout as being a warmer foot bed (hot pink) is true.

For some good information on the foot beds, please check out my thread in the boot fitter forum on EpicSki.
https://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=76123
Very informative.
Especially Post #2
here is a snip from it.
There are now 6 different color Superfeet that you may encounter at a ski shop.

That being said, of those 6 colors, there are only 3 different shapes of Superfeet that would effect the feel or fit inside the boot.

The Green top is the Basic Superfeet shape that has been around for years. This device fits well into higher volume boots with skiers that have a medium height arch. This is the least expensive of the 6.

The Blue top works better with lower height arches, and where boot volume is an issue. They are priced the same as the Green.

The Red Hot and Pink Hot are new for this year they share the same shape under support as the Orange and Berry. All of these fit the same to the foot and boot. They are best suited for the average sized arch, and because the width profile is slightly narrower then the Green, they drop in nicely to narrower lower volume boots. The Red Hot and Hot Pink, have Outlast material on the top cover for added warmth, as well as reflective material under the toes for added warmth. Based on the Outlast and the new toe material these cost more then the basic models.

Being phased out of the ski offering are the Orange and Berry. They will be targeted at the shoe market in the future, however they are the exact same shape as Red Hot and Hot Pink, so the fit and function the same. They do not have the Outlast top, and do not have the reflective material under the toes. They are priced in between the basic and the Outlast models.

Jilly

Staff member
I used the green superfeet in my ski boots till last year. I've always removed the "stock" footbed that came with them. This started about 12 years ago after a seminar with Jeanie Thoren. Last year I had Superfeet cork foot beds made. Warmer than the regular ones and were vacuum fitted to my feet. They cost me $200 with my CSIA discount. That's more than the $35 for the regular superfeet.

I wear custom ones in the rest of my shoes. They were $ 400, about 10 years ago, and were not covered by insurance since they weren't made from a mold. Now they would be.

Like the rest I don't think you'll be happy with the regular superfeet type. Maybe the cork type would be better.

itri

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just had custom Superfeet made today for my new boots. The shop only charged $100 for them, and it was going to be $50 for the regular Superfeet. I figured with as much money as I was already spending, why not just spend an extra $50 for the custom? :rolleyes: We'll see...I better be a fantabulous skiier after all this cash outlay today! :becky:

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I just had custom Superfeet made today for my new boots. The shop only charged $100 for them, and it was going to be $50 for the regular Superfeet.
You got The Deal! :clap:
I'm pretty sure I paid about $100 for mine....in the mid-90's!

Slidergirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My physical therapist had me try Superfeet green insoles before we went to custom orthotics. They were OK for awhile, but then we did another check of my feet and decided that I needed extra support over and above what the Superfeet offered. So, I got a pair of custom orthotic footbeds (again, insurance paid the bill). They really did make a difference. Now, when I went in to buy new ski boots at Surefoot, I had new custom insoles made with heaters built into the insoles. So, now I have my "everyday" orthotics and my "heated" orthotics.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga