• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Absolut Joy vs. Black Pearl 82 comparison and questions

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This weekend, I got to compare the Black Pearl 82 (2021 version) versus my new Absolut Joys. I fully intended to date my skis but after two cancelled trips due to weather, I got frustrated and bought the AJs at a good sale price. Also, I'm finding it really difficult to demo anything of interest.

My thoughts after two days on them are not what I expected, and I'd appreciate any insight.

The contenders:
Head Absolut Joy 2023, 79mm waist, 153cm - bought last month and used one other time so far
Blizzard Black Pearl 82 2021, 82mm waist, 159cm - rented locally, who knows how much use and abuse

Day 1: Groomed hard pack doing wedge christies and later flat parallel turns on fairly gentle terrain. I felt it was easier to put pressure on the tips of the BP82. It definitely felt different than the AJs but was hard to figure out what exactly. Towards the end of the day, I started feeling like I was going to catch an edge on the AJs (and did once) but not on the BP82.
Day 1 favorite: BP82

Day 2: Snowed 4" overnight and was very cold (18*F), so I started with the BP82. I was worried it would be the wrong conditions for the AJs and I'd catch an edge (and did once again), but overall, it was fine and didn't feel much different from BP82. Later on, I started progressing from flat to carved turns and found the AJs easier to get on edge. The BP82s had less bite and the AJs felt more secure and slightly easier to maneuver (the AJs are shorter but have a lot less rocker). I even took the AJs through some beginner-friendly trees but discovered the area too late in the day to come through again on the BP82.
I'm a west coast skier, but that was the most powder I'd ever experienced because I spend the majority of my time on groomed green runs. Super fun conditions today, and I didn't find the 79mm AJ to be too narrow--but my old skis are 72mm!
Day 2 favorite: AJ

I thought after day 1 that the BP82 would be the two-day winner. It has more rocker which I thought would make it the better choice in powder, but the AJ surprised me. However, I never had any fear I was going to catch an edge on the BP82, which is a big plus for me.

Questions:
1. Has anyone tried the 2021 and 2022 or 2023 BP82? According to SoothSki, the newer versions are a little stiffer in the middle with more camber (less than the AJ but more than the 2021 BP). I wonder if the newer version might offer a bit more of that secure feeling. And maybe a beat-up rental isn't a fair representation of the ski.
2. How do you figure out what you like best? I felt sold on the BP82 yesterday and didn't expect to be so confused today!

marzNC

Angel Diva
2. How do you figure out what you like best? I felt sold on the BP82 yesterday and didn't expect to be so confused today!
As you've already learned, different snow conditions and terrain can make a noticeable difference. The general advice is to buy skis for the conditions you are expecting to ski the most often. As opposed to the conditions and terrain that you're more likely to ski 25% of the time for assorted reasons. Assuming someone skis varied terrain in assorted conditions, there are unlikely to be perfect skis that are wonderful all the time. At the same time, many skis will be fun most of the time.

The AJ and BP82 are different in design, materials, and length. What's the difference in turn radius?

I liked the older version of the AJ and owned a pari for several years. Mostly used them on groomers in the east but also skied them during a late season trip out west. My first all-mountain skis were 75 underfoot when I was an adventurous intermediate, so I learned that skiing 4-6 inches of fresh snow with skis under 80mm can be good fun.

I enjoyed the BP82 last year on groomers at Alta during the early April Demo Day. In general, I like BP models and have rented them in various widths as an advanced skier.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What bindings are on the skis, do you know? Also, what size boot are you in?

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The AJ and BP82 are different in design, materials, and length. What's the difference in turn radius?
AJ is a little smaller at 11.2 vs BP82's 12.5. And I think you're totally right that I'd probably find both of those skis fun most of the time.
What bindings are on the skis, do you know? Also, what size boot are you in?
AJ has a system binding of the Joy 9 GW SLR, which were so hard to use on my first day a couple weeks ago but seem to have loosened up now. The BP's had a Salomon Warden 11. My boots are 24.5 (Salomon S/PRO 90).

I found a too good to be true deal on the BP82 SP with the system binding. We'll see if they actually arrive (it's from a reputable store, just not sure if they're going to say the price was a mistake). If they come, I can do another side by side with the 2023 model and sell whichever one I don't like as well.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Assuming someone skis varied terrain in assorted conditions, there are unlikely to be perfect skis that are wonderful all the time. At the same time, many skis will be fun most of the time.
I am beginning to realize why we develop quivers!

I'm a west coast skier, but that was the most powder I'd ever experienced because I spend the majority of my time on groomed green runs.
Powder is a whole different beast as you've found! As @marzNC said, there is never going to be one ski that is perfect for all. What I'd be looking for in "keeper" skis, are the ones that make me smile most often. The bright side of entering into "long term relationships" with both skis vs just "dating" them (horribly corny joke) is that you really do have the time now to figure which of them does make the aforementioned smile appear more often!

Good luck!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
AJ is a little smaller at 11.2 vs BP82's 12.5. And I think you're totally right that I'd probably find both of those skis fun most of the time.

AJ has a system binding of the Joy 9 GW SLR, which were so hard to use on my first day a couple weeks ago but seem to have loosened up now. The BP's had a Salomon Warden 11. My boots are 24.5 (Salomon S/PRO 90).

I found a too good to be true deal on the BP82 SP with the system binding. We'll see if they actually arrive (it's from a reputable store, just not sure if they're going to say the price was a mistake). If they come, I can do another side by side with the 2023 model and sell whichever one I don't like as well.
Some of the differences you were describing made me suspect binding delta (heel height vs. toe height) was playing into what you were feeling. System bindings in general tend to have less delta. You also skied them in lengths that are quite different, which likely played into what you felt as well.

Either ski is probably suitable and you'll adapt to whichever one. I think the BP will allow more room for growth, so to speak, as the AJ is truly a much more intermediate-focused ski. I know a few women who have outgrown them. That being said, they were an excellent tool for them to advance on.

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Some of the differences you were describing made me suspect binding delta (heel height vs. toe height) was playing into what you were feeling. System bindings in general tend to have less delta.
I only recently learned about binding delta and hadn't considered that as a factor! That makes sense--some figure skating boot manufacturers are moving to higher heels to get the skater's weight further forward, too. Thank you for the info!

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I knew it was a possibility, but my killer deal on a pair of 22/23 BP82s was cancelled and refunded. :(

I'd like to demo the newer version, but places only seem to have the 88. I might rent the 2021 version again this weekend just because it's all I can find in 82.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I knew it was a possibility, but my killer deal on a pair of 22/23 BP82s was cancelled and refunded. :(

I'd like to demo the newer version, but places only seem to have the 88. I might rent the 2021 version again this weekend just because it's all I can find in 82.
Sorry to hear. Although it frees you up to demo a few other skis too right?

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry to hear. Although it frees you up to demo a few other skis too right?
Yes, I tried calling the resort we're going to this weekend (twice!) to see what demos they have, but no one was answering the phone. I guess I'll find out on Saturday!

And thanks very much for the shopping links! But the one I had ordered was crazy - $240 for the SP version with bindings. No surprise someone probably snapped it up in store before they could fulfill my order. I think I'll rent the 2021 version again this weekend and see if there's anything else interesting to try at the resort.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, I tried calling the resort we're going to this weekend (twice!) to see what demos they have, but no one was answering the phone. I guess I'll find out on Saturday!

And thanks very much for the shopping links! But the one I had ordered was crazy - $240 for the SP version with bindings. No surprise someone probably snapped it up in store before they could fulfill my order. I think I'll rent the 2021 version again this weekend and see if there's anything else interesting to try at the resort.
Wow, what a deal! No wonder someone snapped that up. If I come across any deals, I'll let you know.

Offhand, when I was pondering the Volkl Yumi, I did come across this pair that was too tall at 168, but tempting at 80 waist and all for $199. But they don't come with bindings. Also, as you know, I bought my demos, but I'm such a sucker for a deal, I still occasionally think about it, lol.

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow, what a deal! No wonder someone snapped that up. If I come across any deals, I'll let you know.

Offhand, when I was pondering the Volkl Yumi, I did come across this pair that was too tall at 168, but tempting at 80 waist and all for $199. But they don't come with bindings. Also, as you know, I bought my demos, but I'm such a sucker for a deal, I still occasionally think about it, lol.

LOL, that is way tall! I definitely plan to try a Yumi (80 or 84) if I find a demo in my size.

Sokolva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Learn from my mistakes XD I’ll never buy skis that are too tall for me again just because they are a good deal / the last size for sale. It’s NOT worth it unless you try out the size first to verify that you enjoy skiing that length. I completely wasted an amazing set of skis because I convinced myself with some help from a sale employee that the length would be fine for an advance skier to use in powder. Never again!

Sokolva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Learn from my mistakes XD I’ll never buy skis that are too tall for me again just because they are a good deal / the last size for sale. It’s NOT worth it unless you try out the size first to verify that you enjoy skiing that length. I completely wasted an amazing set of skis because I convinced myself with some help from a sale employee that the length would be fine for an advance skier to use in powder. Never again! XD

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga