• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

A-Basin and other late-season skiing

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't been to A-Basin yet this year, and only spent a little time in Montezuma Bowl last year. Haven't ever skied either of the other places.

Anyway, the front side at least of A-Basin does have a few easier runs, but if you're not a fan of bumps and steeps, it doesn't have a ton of variety; just a few runs that funnel into the same channel pretty quickly. We tend to stay at the upper lifts to avoid crowds, which further limits the gentle terrain quite a bit.

Because of A-Basin's location, while snow does tend to blow off the mountain, it also doesn't tend to melt as readily, so in the spring you're less likely (than at other Colorado resorts) to have to deal with rock-hard "snow" in the morning that was slush the day before. Also, A-Basin tends to be a big ol' party in the spring, lots of crazy costumes, beer and pot consumption, and dogs running around the parking lot, so depending on your preferences, that may be a pro or con.

One thing to note about A-Basin - there's no lodging and not much of anything right at the ski hill. Keystone is maybe 10 minutes away and Frisco a little more, but if you're looking for night life - A-Basin doesn't offer that.

Just my two cents, and I'd love to hear corrections so I can learn more about my local hills =)

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh, one other thing - A-Basin is at a very high altitude. So it may require more acclimatization than other places; if altitude affects you at all, it may not be a great choice for a short trip.

Christy

Angel Diva
You guys are putting ideas in my head again. I see Whistler has a few more weeks of the Dave Murray Camp I've been wanting to do, and there are fantastic condo/hotel deals for early April--there are studio condos in good locations for less than $100/night. Hmmm. Hmmm. Hmmm.

floridakeysskibum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
jenny, we are thinking alike!! I just checked out a-basin for april 19-23, but like others are saying, 41" base is scary. Snowbird and Alta look promising. When are you looking at going, I would love to ski with you guys again:smile:

marzNC

Angel Diva
jenny, we are thinking alike!! I just checked out a-basin for april 19-23, but like others are saying, 41" base is scary. Snowbird and Alta look promising. When are you looking at going, I would love to ski with you guys again:smile:

Alta closes on April 18, which is before the dates that Jenny was thinking about. Alta dates are pre-determined by the agreement with the Forest Service, so has nothing to do with how much snow is on the slopes.

Jenny

Angel Diva

We'd travel out on Thursday (4-22) ski Friday-Sunday, and have to fly back on Monday (4-26).

Jenny, forget about skiing groomers at Snowbird, basically there are few. Snowbird is an advanced mountain. If you're looking for groomers and a variety of blue terrain, I would head to Whistler/Blackcomb.

Current airfare says Denver, but . . .

Snow, altitude, and travel time/distance all say Snowbird is the place. I need to look at the trail map, but I don't mind steep slopes, as long as they're not loaded with moguls, real narrow, etc. I don't really need tons of runs to have fun, either - in fact, I like the familiarity of knowing what line I want to take, where the icy spots are, where the rock might be, etc.

I haven't really explored lodging yet, but if we can stay inexpensively nearby and use shuttles that would be nice.

This requires more thought and more internet time!

marzNC

Angel Diva
For learning about skiing out west, I've had a lot of fun with a book called "the Unofficial Guide to Skiing & Snowboarding in the West" by Lito Tejada-Flores, Seth Masia, Claire Walter, Kurt Repanshek & Bob Sehlinger. It's from 2003, but most of the ski areas haven't changed that much. I found it on eBay pretty cheap.

The focus of the descriptions is on the slopes, not so much about lodging and apres ski. For each area, there are tips about which slopes are best for beginners, intermediates, or experts. Also includes tips about skiing technique.

marzNC

Angel Diva
We'd travel out on Thursday (4-22) ski Friday-Sunday, and have to fly back on Monday (4-26).

Current airfare says Denver, but . . .

Snow, altitude, and travel time/distance all say Snowbird is the place. I need to look at the trail map, but I don't mind steep slopes, as long as they're not loaded with moguls, real narrow, etc. I don't really need tons of runs to have fun, either - in fact, I like the familiarity of knowing what line I want to take, where the icy spots are, where the rock might be, etc.

I haven't really explored lodging yet, but if we can stay inexpensively nearby and use shuttles that would be nice.

This requires more thought and more internet time!

Check your PM.

marzNC

Angel Diva

Alta is getting a foot of new snow this week! Alta will be OPEN the weekend of April 23-25, with lift tickets for $49. So if you go to SLC,
you can check out Alta. It's my favorite SLC ski area.

wahineskisk2

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, we are getting snow here in Summit County! (Gee, I've been waiting all winter...) A-Basin just opened Montezuma Bowl recently, so there is hope for late Spring skiing yet!

If any of you Divas decide on A-Basin, you're welcome to stay at my house. I live about 6 miles from A-Basin on Hwy 6. I've got a spare bedroom & bathroom. I do have 3 English Bulldogs though, which aren't a problem unless you have allergies...

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Snow! Yay!!!

All good news for my visit in two weeks!! :becky:

Hopefully get some turns with you wahineskisk2!! Would love to say hello to your dogs too!! :smile:

astridhj

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wish I could come as well. Would love to go back to Summit County to ski. Never happened this winter.

Now I am waiting for the glacier to open and hopefully we will get some good powder days there in May.

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wish I could come as well. Would love to go back to Summit County to ski. Never happened this winter.

Now I am waiting for the glacier to open and hopefully we will get some good powder days there in May.

That would have been cool if you had come over too. Another year maybe. :smile:

I'm there from 12/04-19/04 if you change your mind!!

astridhj

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not sure if my boss would like it if I suddenly took a week off when starting a new job on the 4th... Next year then. Much snow left in Scotland? Seems like you have had a wonderful season over there this year.

ScottishGirlie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not sure if my boss would like it if I suddenly took a week off when starting a new job on the 4th... Next year then. Much snow left in Scotland? Seems like you have had a wonderful season over there this year.

Yup, your new boss might not be too pleased if you headed to Colorado in April! Good luck with the new job though! :thumbsup:

Had a bit of a thaw in Scotland the last couple of weeks but still quite a lot of snow in some resorts. We're forecasted for a big dump of snow this week though! :D

Jenny

Angel Diva

New job? Congrats!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga