• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

3/4 length baselayer bottoms?

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Seriously, someone besides me likes this length, right? I don't want baselayer legs stuck in my ski boots or to have to pull tight cuffs over my calves. But most of what I see are full length! Anyone got recommendations, or am I stuck with my idiosyncratic preferences/Costco capris again?

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I use Mons Royale 3/4 leggings, but I agree that length even though its preferable to me as well is pretty hard to find esp over here in NZ.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Yes, love this length!

I always wear CW-X as a baselayer, I like the extra support, Then Smartwool makes a 3/4 length bottom which I like as a light midlayer sometimes. Also, I love the Hot Chillys heavy fleece bottoms. I don’t think they are actually 3/4 length, but I have long legs for my height (5’4”) and they are definitely short enough on me that I can shimmy them up my calves and they fit perfectly over my boots without bulk. I feel like they give so much warmth as a nice heavy midlayer. I’ll even wear them under insulated pants on the coldest days.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
My Bracelayer bottoms are 3/4 length. Of course, when you're as short as I am it's not exactly 3/4. In fact sometimes I have to cut the bottoms down so they don't interfere with my boots

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Compression: I have skins, CW-X and bracelayer in 3/4 length. I would say the skins is shortest, and bracelayer is the longest, although that one is a size S and the others are XS. There was definitely a thermal version of the older skins (pre-ownership change) which can pops up on steep clearance at times online.

Merino: Icebreaker and mons royale both do 3/4 length and are intended to be worn for snowsports. Mons Royale changed their sizing a few years back, so some older season gear has very good discounts if you can find it.

Other: Marmot do a 3/4 insulated capri that I own. I've also looked at Burton and Dakine baselayers but never owned them, as I got excellent deals on my merinos.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Smart wool, Kari Traa, Icebreaker, Burton. I have many 3/4 baselayers. When googling, sometimes base layer capri will bring up more of what I'm looking for than 3/4. It looks like even Hot Chilly's has some now.

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks! I was especially struggling with the right search term. I'm just surprised that they're not the default option at 3/4, but maybe most skiers don't have dedicated ski baselayer?

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
I have dedicated ski base layers. Hot chilly heaviest fleece, full length but they taper and have a thin silky panel near the thin cuff, and hot chilly merino blend, full length also not bulky. I think Hot Chilly brand is designed for skiers. The fleece ones are 20years old! Hot chilly wears well. I also have Marmot insulated capris for coldest days that I wear over either of those and under shell bibs.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I only wear 3/4! I have to travel to ski but every trip I pack Smartwool merino PhD Run (I think they changed the name), my Under Armour Coldgear legging which I cut to 3/4 and an uninsulated pair of CW-X. Regardless of weather, I’m covered with these 3 types.

Skidreamer

Certified Ski Diva
Yes totally agree, love this length. I had some Burton capris which were really lovely, but slightly too low in the waist for my personal preference so I sold them on. Still looking for the perfect 3/4 length replacement pair. I bought a cheap pair from Target for spring skiing but will need a proper thermal pair again.

floatingyardsale

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When you ladies have cut baselayer to length, have you had to do anything to the edges? I have some old UA coldgear I could repurpose but I don't trust myself to stitch stretchy fabric.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When you ladies have cut baselayer to length, have you had to do anything to the edges? I have some old UA coldgear I could repurpose but I don't trust myself to stitch stretchy fabric.
I wear compression tights under my ski pants and I just cut them to 3/4 length and didn't do anything else. Nobody can see them anyway, and the fabric has not frayed. I also think leaving them as-is vs. sewing a hem is more comfortable; there's no raised hem to chafe against my leg.

Skidreamer

Certified Ski Diva
Might be worthwhile getting them professionally altered so that the seamstress uses a stitch that has stretch incorporated in it?

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I
I own an overlocker and my sewing machine has a stretch stitch option, so I hemmed them. Even if it was a non-fraying fabric or you don't feel confident doing a hem, I would still reinforce any side seams at the new bottom of the leg, as when you cut length off you could be cutting whatever is securing that seam.

jthree

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think I first read about wearing 3/4 length/ capris on the board and thought it was genius! Last year I just layered up some workout capris but I need to search for some better gear!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna