• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

2nd boot, should I get pro machines?

Rachel614

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A performance fit generally requires adjustments.

I am in the Nordica ProMachine 115 24.5, previously in the Promachine 95 25.5. My street shoes are primarily 9.5M and my right foot measures over a 25, left just at 25. My 25.5 felt perfect right out of the box too and I loved them...until they packed and I was using buckles to attempt a snugger fit. I could still wear a 25.5 for a comfort fit, but would need an after market liner in my old pair as I was moving too much.

In the 24.5, my right big toe had to be blown out and both boot boards shaved to provide a bit more space on top of my foot, but that was it.
Nice!! Yea I’m guessing I may have to do some adjustments after the fact, but would be ok with that for convenience sake of not having to waste my ski trip store hoping for the boots and sizes I want. My right foot sits at 25 and left evenly at 24.5 so I think the 23.5 size I ordered should work well aside from maybe needing to do the same as you did to my right toe box

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How am I going for a recreational fit when I have tried on a dozen boots and had 3 boot fitters measure my feet as well as teach me how to shell test in person. That video is redundant and stating the obvious. I prefer to find the right boot by going for those with the descriptions and reviews that perfectly match my needs as well as trial and error. Just like my running shoes. Obviously there are some things such as custom foot beds and possibly heat molding that I’m sure I could benefit from, but just because I am buying the boots online and not from a person (who does not actually know my needs, how I ski, or how things feel for me) doesn’t mean that they wont be perfect for me and akin to buying from a ski swap. Everyone has to buy ski boots prior to customization…

How am I going for a recreational fit when I have tried on a dozen boots and had 3 boot fitters measure my feet, as well as having bought boots on a whim without trying them on and them work perfectly, no hot spots or discomfort right out of the box skiing all day at 115 flex. That video is redundant and if anything comfirms my decision of buying online verses a person who does not know my needs, skiing style, or how boots feel to me skiing. (The guy in the video says he himself buys online). Now getting customization via heat molding and insoles is another story and something I’m interested in doing. I would rather learn my favorite boots by owning a variety who’s descriptions and reviews fit my needs verses being told what to buy by someone who’s knowledge and experience in a variety of boots may be limited as well as what they have in stock, as well as them being motivated on making a sale. Plus the money saved by buying online to put towards insoles and other boots or skis is a no brainer
I did not realize that you knew how to shell test yourself - this is the only thread I'd read about this, so I only had this to go by. As @lisamamot noted, a performance fit generally requires adjustments and your prior posts seemed to be against those, but I am glad your openness to them seems to have changed. Buying boots online to have them modded afterwards is very common, especially in situations were you have a hard to find size, It's something I almost did myself. My fitter had another model in mind for me so that I didn't have to pay for all the bells and whistles like walk mode, so suggested that I buy online and bring them back to him. I actually really like walk mode, so made the decision to buy the more expensive pair on the spot. So good luck!

Rachel614

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Y
I did not realize that you knew how to shell test yourself - this is the only thread I'd read about this, so I only had this to go by. As @lisamamot noted, a performance fit generally requires adjustments and your prior posts seemed to be against those, but I am glad your openness to them seems to have changed. Buying boots online to have them modded afterwards is very common, especially in situations were you have a hard to find size, It's something I almost did myself. My fitter had another model in mind for me so that I didn't have to pay for all the bells and whistles like walk mode, so suggested that I buy online and bring them back to him. I actually really like walk mode, so made the decision to buy the more expensive pair on the spot. So good luck!
Yea I’m definently open to them was moreso just wondering if 23.5’s would possibly fit despite customization temporarily since I’m not sure I’ll have time or the desire to get them customized before my trip on Wednesday lol. Ordered them regardless and will prob just bring the 24.5’s as backup…Thank you!!

mustski

Angel Diva
There is a little more to it than mondo size (length 23, 24, etc.). Do you know the last size you need? Also as I learned after much trial and error, boots of the same length and width still have different shapes and different volume as far as arch and instep go. Did the boot fitters suggest a specific boot for you or did they just measure you for length? I say that because I have always been in a 98 last boot but they were not shaped the same.

I don't think that you specified it anywhere, but I may have missed it. What are the 115s that you are in now that you like?

Rachel614

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There is a little more to it than mondo size (length 23, 24, etc.). Do you know the last size you need? Also as I learned after much trial and error, boots of the same length and width still have different shapes and different volume as far as arch and instep go. Did the boot fitters suggest a specific boot for you or did they just measure you for length? I say that because I have always been in a 98 last boot but they were not shaped the same.

I don't think that you specified it anywhere, but I may have missed it. What are the 115s that you are in now that you like?
They are k2 dispatch w lt’s… they’re great for most situations and lightweight but since they’re mainly touring boots I feel like I have to use more leg muscle going downhill to carve etc (which could also be the skis and other factors). Boot fitters have reccomended certain boots but it seems to be whatever each individual place carries and has the best business relationship with, I.e a certain shop recommending fisher and by the way he spoke seems like it’s the main company they get their boots from. I was able to order atomic hawk ultras 95 s for $219 on evo as well as pro machine 115’s for $439, I figure at least I’ll know what I like and don’t like even if it means a certain pair not working for me. But def sizing down is the most nerve wrecking part… I’m sure after wearing a few times and maybe toe box modifications if needed I’ll be good. It’s my right foot that makes me most nervous

Attachments

• IMG_3829.png
    IMG_3829.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 8

mustski

Angel Diva
Yeah, it’s my left so I understand. Where are you located? Maybe someone can recommend a good local fitter. It’s easier to make a boot bigger than smaller.

mustski

Angel Diva
They are k2 dispatch w lt’s… they’re great for most situations and lightweight but since they’re mainly touring boots I feel like I have to use more leg muscle going downhill to carve etc (which could also be the skis and other factors). Boot fitters have reccomended certain boots but it seems to be whatever each individual place carries and has the best business relationship with, I.e a certain shop recommending fisher and by the way he spoke seems like it’s the main company they get their boots from. I was able to order atomic hawk ultras 95 s for $219 on evo as well as pro machine 115’s for $439, I figure at least I’ll know what I like and don’t like even if it means a certain pair not working for me. But def sizing down is the most nerve wrecking part… I’m sure after wearing a few times and maybe toe box modifications if needed I’ll be good. It’s my right foot that makes me most nervous
Just as an FYI that is a 100mm last boot so fairly wide. Something to think about if that is your preference.

Nedgirl

Certified Ski Diva
I just wanted to chime in about boot flex and liners. First of all, you can always purchase a separate liner like Intuition or even from Nordica if you want to upgrade. Secondly, flex matters. If you can't flex the boot, you won't be able to pressure the front of your ski and you will be in the back seat. A higher flex on the boot is not necessarily better and is actually ill advised if you are a smaller woman, an older woman, who doesn't have the strength and power to flex the boot.

So this idea of buying a higher flex boot because someone online said so is really bad advice. Most of the testers online are expert skiers and most are bigger as well as younger. It's really important to be able to flex your boot. As a ski instructor, I meet a lot of woman I am teaching who are in too stiff of a boot and can't understand why they can't improve their skiing. This is why going to a boot fitter is important. A good boot fitter will assess your size, ask you about your skiing and where you ski and what type of skiing you like. Someone who wants to race and carve vs someone who is recreational and skis bumps and trees will ski in an entirely different boot (and different flex).

Rachel614

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just as an FYI that is a 100mm last boot so fairly wide. Something to think about if that is your preference.
Yes I could tell it’s fairly wide since I feel like I have to dig my leg into turning the ski a little bit more than I’d like. They seem great for their stated description of touring with how comfortable they are, but how comfortable they are and their intended purpose is def what caused me to want another boot

Rachel614

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I just wanted to chime in about boot flex and liners. First of all, you can always purchase a separate liner like Intuition or even from Nordica if you want to upgrade. Secondly, flex matters. If you can't flex the boot, you won't be able to pressure the front of your ski and you will be in the back seat. A higher flex on the boot is not necessarily better and is actually ill advised if you are a smaller woman, an older woman, who doesn't have the strength and power to flex the boot.

So this idea of buying a higher flex boot because someone online said so is really bad advice. Most of the testers online are expert skiers and most are bigger as well as younger. It's really important to be able to flex your boot. As a ski instructor, I meet a lot of woman I am teaching who are in too stiff of a boot and can't understand why they can't improve their skiing. This is why going to a boot fitter is important. A good boot fitter will assess your size, ask you about your skiing and where you ski and what type of skiing you like. Someone who wants to race and carve vs someone who is recreational and skis bumps and trees will ski in an entirely different boot (and different flex).
Yea forsure I understand. It took me 8 days of skiing in the 115 flex boot to feel like I could really lean into them and have a benefit from that stiff flex, prior to that I was skiing with the top sections unbuckled I think it helped too adding foot warmers since I was also leaving unbuckled to maintain feet circulation. (I have reynauds which doesn’t help). But now with my feet toasty I feel invincible and like a race car skier able to aggressively carve with them buckled. I also think having a little muscle in my legs from running helps me embrace and utilize the stiffness, and could see where a skinny petite girl would feel like an immovable board in stiff boots. I ordered some 95 atomic hawk ultra s’s to test out which is a little closer to what one would reccomend flex wise for me. Pic of my bulky calves to explain why I feel like I could stretch out some soft flex boots too quickly

Attachments

• IMG_3875.png
    IMG_3875.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 16

Nedgirl

Certified Ski Diva
Yes I could tell it’s fairly wide since I feel like I have to dig my leg into turning the ski a little bit more than I’d like. They seem great for their stated description of touring with how comfortable they are, but how comfortable they are and their intended purpose is def what caused me to want another boot

FYI, on all the Promachines, the last is 98 mm, not 100. It's the Speedmachine that has a last of 100. That's one of the reasons I love this boot, I have a pretty narrow foot and the narrower last gives me great edge to edge performance.

https://www.nordica.com/usa/en/women/boots/narrow-98mm/promachine/promachine-115-w-gw

Rachel614

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
FYI, on all the Promachines, the last is 98 mm, not 100. It's the Speedmachine that has a last of 100. That's one of the reasons I love this boot, I have a pretty narrow foot and the narrower last gives me great edge to edge performance.

https://www.nordica.com/usa/en/women/boots/narrow-98mm/promachine/promachine-115-w-gw
I think she meant my current k2 dispatch boots have a 100 last, but yea I’ve heard the pro machines are great for narrow feet so I got the pro machine 115’s to test out! I like how they feel walking around the house, definently curious how they’ll feel skiing

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga