• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

2024 teen ski shopping thoughts - end of season deals

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
Stopped by The Ski Company locally here in Buffalo today, and they're having some significant end-of-season sales, with 20% off the lowest sale price of everything (if there's one near you in NYS, maybe worth checking out!) I felt like their more beginner skis were an especially good deal -- the more advanced stuff was only an okay sale compared to online prices. But it made me start thinking about whether it's worth buying something for my teen for the next few years.

L is currently 13.5, 5'4" and 140 lbs, extremely cautious low intermediate (she's grown more fearful in the last few years, but I have hopes her 8-year-old confidence and abilities will return eventually! It's in her body somewhere... LOL) We primarily ski small WNY hills, though hoping to take her somewhere bigger in the next year or two. This year we did a lease package, first year on adult skis, Elan Zest Black in 154 cm-- she liked these quite a lot and they did seem to improve her confidence over last year's junior skis. I'd originally thought we'd lease one more year before buying something that would last a while longer. I imagine she will grow between 2-4 more inches (I am 5'7")

A few deals I'm considering and interested in thoughts on the value of:

-Volkl Flair 7.2, with system bindings for $230 (158 cm)
-Elan Explore 80, with system bindings for $262 (160 cm)
-K2 Mindbender 85, flat for $205.60 (163 cm)

Of the 3, the Mindbender is the most likely to continue to be suitable for a longer amount of time -- though she may not quite grow into it next year -- and there's the expense of the bindings (plus not 100% sure her feet are done growing.) The Explore feels like the lowest quality and most beginner, but L likes Elan and wishes for green skis -- these are green, even though we all know it's not the top sheet that counts! Volkls are on the narrow side for the long term, and she might get tall for them -- imagine they might be a next-2-years ski, not a next-10-years ski.

We won't forget about the importance of boots, but won't think about those until the fall -- when we can see what her foot size is like!

Any of these seem like a steal that can't be passed up, worth the risk versus leasing for one more year? Any other recommendations out there (note that L is gender-fluid and does NOT want anything feminine looking.)

Thanks for musing with me!

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
At 13.5 - they are definitely at the age for another spurt so I don't think it would hurt to wait, but if you get a ski with a lot of rocker, it'll ski well for them even now - yes even that Mindbender.

Do they like green and black? Narrower waist at 77 to suit both east and west coast since you live in the east.

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If there’s a place with good demo options, maybe try that. Only because maybe she’ll find the right ski that inspires more confidence.

I think the Flair 72 is too soft. The Elan Explore at least has fiberglass laminated wood.

I’m pretty close in size to your daughter. I know my confidence started improving when I moved beyond my short beginner Salomons. Of things I’ve tried, Elan Wildcat 76 and Head Absolut Joy are pretty friendly for the lower intermediate.

ETA: Maybe Volkl Flair 79 or Deacon 79. The Deacon is black and neon green. I keep thinking of trying my husband’s 163s that he’s now outgrown, but I can’t vouch for them yet.

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
Having tried them myself, I personally also think the Wildcat 76 would be a great choice, but it has been deemed too femme in color. Lol. L does like the look of the Wingman 78, but it has carbon that I believe the Wildcat 76 does not and I think it would be too stiff for next year.

I may also just lease again for one more year (or buy out this year's lease to start next season with) and have L demo at the start of next season during the December Holiday Valley demo day. I tried the Blaze 82 there last year and think it might be another good option.

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Having tried them myself, I personally also think the Wildcat 76 would be a great choice, but it has been deemed too femme in color. Lol. L does like the look of the Wingman 78, but it has carbon that I believe the Wildcat 76 does not and I think it would be too stiff for next year.

I may also just lease again for one more year (or buy out this year's lease to start next season with) and have L demo at the start of next season during the December Holiday Valley demo day. I tried the Blaze 82 there last year and think it might be another good option.
I did wonder if the turquoise would be too "girly." You're right that it doesn't have carbon while the Wingman 78C does. I just got the Wildcat 82C and will try them out this weekend and see how different the carbon version feels--it's probably reasonably similar in stiffness to the Wingman 78C.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna