• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

08 Demo 2-All Mtn: Lotta Luv,Legend 8000,AC40,Bandit 83

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Tester: 190+ lbs, 5'5", 42 Years old, PSIA Level II, Platinum/Gold level Nastar and 2x/week league racer. I prefer stiffer skis with lots of pop that can handle my preference for high speed ripping.

The Conditions: Started with 2-6" heavy, wet, packy freshies over a groomed "slush puppy" base (like well-packed drier spring corn). As the day wore on, the freshies either piled up into huge moguls or packed down into very slippery wet hardpack or soft ice.

The Test Runs: 1 run down a long mild blue groomer making high speed carves of various turn radii. 1 run down a steeper blue/black making medium and high speed carves through piled up glop and cut up powder. 1 run down a black starting with slow speed smeary turns and ending with medium speed carves through cut up crud.

The Skis (in waist width order):

K2 Lotta Luv 160cm (119-78-105, 15m): This is a very damp ski most comfortable at slow to medium speeds. I instantly found the speed limit on this one (it was almost like a limiter on a car - it just sort of shut down at a certain speed). It had very little rebound, and just felt too short and too soft for my high energy style. This would be an excellent choice for an intermediate or "improving skier" who prefers slow to medium speeds and a very calm, confidence inspiring ski. It was perfectly happy to skid around all day long though the tips got knocked around in the crud quite a bit. Crud 1. Short Turns, Rebound, Stability, Steeps, Powder 2. Medium Turns, Long Turns, Grip 3. Forgiveness 4.

Dynastar Legend 8000 172cm (120-80-103, 18m): A very easy going and confidence inspiring ski, best for skidded turns all over the mountain. This is a fairly damp ski that excelled at medium to long turns at medium speeds or short skidded turns on even the steepest terrain. Surprisingly, even at this length it got bounced around in the crud quite a bit, but it just loved surfing through powder. Best for intermediate to advanced skiers looking for a mellow ski that will allow them to explore more of the mountain at slower speeds. Short Turns and Ice 2. Long Turns, Forgiveness, Steeps 4. All Else 3.

Volkl Unlimited AC40 Carbon 170cm (125-82-110, 16.1m): Yikes :eek: ! I thought I would love this ski but really didn't. Despite the "All Mountain" label, this is really a race ski with different graphics. It wanted to carve, carve, carve....in fact, I had the tail lock up and shoot me across the hill when I tried to skid it on the steeps :fear: . I thought maybe I was just being a geek, so I had hubby try it too. He totally agreed and could not get the tail to release before the turn was fully completed (fortunately I reminded him of this trait before he headed off to the steepest run. He was very glad I did :D ). This was a stiff and burly high energy ski with a death grip on ice, best for ripping it up on the groomed at the highest speeds. Forgiveness 2. Crud and Powder 3. Short Turns, Rebound, Steeps 4. All Else 5.

Rossignol Bandit 83 176cm (120-83-110, 17m): This ski was the first one I tested that truly inspired confidence in the cruddy stuff on the steeps later in the day and this length was perfect for me. It was happiest skidding turns through glop on the steepest hills. It would carve, but only grudgingly. It was a very calm mellow ski, to the point where it was only Ho Hum on the groomers. This ski is best for intermediate to advanced skiers looking to venture into ungroomed terrain. Short Turns and Rebound 2. Medium Turns and Grip 3. Long Turns, Stability, Forgiveness 4. Steeps, Crud, Powder 5.

In a Nutshell: One of these skis clearly belonged in the carver group rather than the all mountain group and the rest just didn't have any traits to make them stand out from the others. They all seemed to be severely compromised in some aspect of performance, and I was not really impressed with any of them.

Special Thanks to: the guys at Nub's Nob Technology Center and Mike at Pro Sports Enterprises at Schuss Mountain - without whose unending patience, time, and attention all this would not have been possible.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow!

I just spent all day on my Lotta Luvs, groomed, bumps, crud, etc. They carved beautifully, sliced through the crud and was silky smooth through the bumps. I skied the Blue Sky area at Vail and the Lotta Luvs handled everything I put them through.

I'm a light weight skier and my Lotta Luvs kicked a$$ today. Next time, try the Apache Recon, some women also enjoy that ski.

BTW, in my ski class I'm a considered a black level skier and skied 90% black runs at Vail today.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In a Nutshell: One of these skis clearly belonged in the carver group rather than the all mountain group and the rest just didn't have any traits to make them stand out from the others. They all seemed to be severely compromised in some aspect of performance, and I was not really impressed with any of them.

OK, that sounds really harsh. :booboo:
In general, they were compromised in their ability to carve with enthusiasm and hold a solid edge on hard pack. I guess I just expected higher performance and some stand-out traits in this group. Given their limitations, I would choose one of the stellar performers from the Fatty group instead for true all mountain performance. I don't doubt that lighter weight and less high-speed loving skiers could find a suitable choice in this group....let's just say I was disappointed.

Kano

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Volkl Unlimited AC40 Carbon 170cm (125-82-110, 16.1m): Yikes :eek: ! I thought I would love this ski but really didn't. Despite the "All Mountain" label, this is really a race ski with different graphics. It wanted to carve, carve, carve....in fact, I had the tail lock up and shoot me across the hill when I tried to skid it on the steeps :fear: .

Yikes! Is this what happens when I get on a steeper run and can't seem to make the skis do a "next" turn? Could it really be that it's not fear?

Kano

abc

Banned
Mmmm...Volkgirl, the test length went all over the map. As you mentioned (about the Bandit at 176cm):
This ski was the first one I tested that truly inspired confidence in the cruddy stuff on the steeps later in the day and this length was perfect for me.

How much do you think the 16cm length shortfall (between the first and the last one tested) would play any role in how they feel, by the same skier?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
As I found with the 6*, the Karma, and the Fuego, even a difference of 7cm can make a huge difference in the way a ski behaves. Most of my current personal skis are in the 170-180 length range. I wanted to take the Lotta out in a longer length, but of course that was the longest they had in their women's skis. I still think the shops are short changing us on length!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
[ I wanted to take the Lotta out in a longer length, but of course that was the longest they had in their women's skis. I still think the shops are short changing us on length![/QUOTE]

That's your shops problem and since many read these reviews for information it's not fair to assess and give recommendations on skis that are not appropriate for you. :smile:

With my size and weight I can push my Lotta Luv's fast though a variety of conditions. I'm not an intermediate level skier, nor do I ski "slow". I've skied 40 + days on this ski and it gets better and better.

However, I do believe it's a better western ski than an eastern ski.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Little Lightning said:
That's your shops problem and since many read these reviews for information it's not fair to assess and give recommendations on skis that are not appropriate for you.
And yet, I skied both the Fuego and the Firefox as short as 154cm and found them to be exceptional.

Anyone reading another's ski review obviously needs to keep the tester's stats in mind and make their own extrapolations as to suitability for themselves. That's why we include that info right up front.

I'm thrilled that you Luv your Lottas, and I'm sure there's others out there as well. They've gotten rave reviews from several sources. I had no intention to slam any of these skis but I needed to write honestly about my own impressions. I get no pay from anyone for this (in fact demoing for 2 days cost $85 out of my own pocket plus lift tickets) merely for the fun of testing and writing about my own experiences and to share with others who may not be so fortunate.

I guess if I'm going to get slammed for that, I won't be doing it anymore (or at least not here).

trvlnut

Certified Ski Diva
Noooo

Don't stop posting your reviews. I for one always look at the skiers stats and make note that the review may not apply to me, but it still helps me go in one direction or another.

I don't know why the other lady came down so hard. Maybe some thing is being lost since we aren't face to face and "speaking" on an internet board.

jaydog

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Don't stop posting your reviews. I for one always look at the skiers stats and make note that the review may not apply to me, but it still helps me go in one direction or another.

I don't know why the other lady came down so hard. Maybe some thing is being lost since we aren't face to face and "speaking" on an internet board.

What she said. There are too many divas who appreciate your reviews to let one misunderstanding get in the way. I, for one, was interested to hear about the 154 Firefox working well for you, since I'm thinking about the Victory or the Conquer and what size would work for me. I had read somewhere that the Olympia line is designed to run small.

abc

Banned
I don't know why the other lady came down so hard.
Her tone may be a bit harsh. But her point was valid: "Size is important", in a review, that is.

I was the one who first raised the issue. So I'll expand it a little. Due to the unavailability of the correct length, she review a ski that's 15cm shorter than the comparison. The way I read it, apples and oranges.

In Volkgirls reply, she acknowledged the short-coming of the ski may not be the ski's design but that of the too short length. Though that point wasn't clear in the review itself.

And yet, I skied both the Fuego and the Firefox as short as 154cm and found them to be exceptional.

I re-read that thread (which I didn't read earlier). Voklgirl, you did not find the 154 Fuego good at all. In your review, you wrote: "At this length the ski felt squirlly and unstable to me."!!! And you acknowledged: "What a difference a few centimeters in length makes in the feel of a ski"

For the readers, it's important to keep in mind a "review" is after all a personal opinion. It's up to the reader to decide if that opinion is applicable to yourself or not.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I re-read that thread (which I didn't read earlier). Voklgirl, you did not find the 154 Fuego good at all. In your review, you wrote: "At this length the ski felt squirlly and unstable to me."!!! And you acknowledged: "What a difference a few centimeters in length makes in the feel of a ski"
You're absolutely right. However, had I not been able to test the different lengths back-to-back, I don't know that I would have been able discern the issues of length so clearly. I guess in my review of the 154cm Fuego, I should have instead said "in comparison to the 161cm length this ski felt squirlly and unstable to me"...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga