• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tell me about your ski quiver!

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Jilly I hear ya! Though this is a different issue. My 112 underfoot tip eqsily so does this ski. It catches horribly when not on edge and trying to demo a flatter ski side slip on very firm but not icy snow. Had to bring out the mantras to be able to demo... Weird!

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My center point of boot appears to be approximately 34.5" when i pull a tape from tip on my 173. tails feel like they get caught up at times. thinking of moving them back further.
I would.

I’m regretting having the 180s mounted on the line. I may need to have them moved back 1 cm.

Soujan

Angel Diva
IMG20221229171736[1].jpg

Left to right:
Goode Nirvana
Head Wild Joy
Head Total Joy
Armada Reliance 82 TI
Kastle LX82

Not shown: Nordica Infinite

I need to get rid of some of the old skis that I don't use anymore. Newest addition is the Armada Reliance. Purchased them as used demos from Powder7. That's why they look so beat up.

arbusch

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know a bit nervous to get a longer ski for the backcountry. Then I might not even notice. I still haven't bite the bullet.
I finally bite the bullet and order 172cm Moment Bella Tours and ATK Crest 10 bindings. We will see when I can get them mounted. My DH always mounts our skis and he is recovering from ACL and meniscus surgery and used to mount skis at REI. Living in the middle of nowhere it can be a struggle to find someone who I trust to mount skis. That will be my next mission. Keep you posted on how they ski. It might be more of next season before I truly get a feel for them @tri-ski-pucker.

SquidWeaselYay

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Current Rotation:
Santa Ana 93 157cm (thinking about selling, just lost that lovin' feeling for them)
Sheeva 9 157cm
Sheeva 10 156cm
Stockli Nela 96 156cm
Astral 78 ti 157cm

Beater/Rock Ski Quiver:
'17 Volkl Kenjas 163cm
'13 Line Celebrity 90, 151cm

shadoj

Angel Diva
I get to pretend I have a ski quiver for a few more days!
If I drag 3 pairs to the hill for multiple days as part of a demo, I'll count it for now. Much cheaper!

Daily driver: 21/22 Blizzard Black Pearl 82 @152cm
On loan: 23/24 Volkl Kenja 88 @156cm
On loan: 23/24 Volkl Secret 96 @156cm

Will take pic in natural light once I get a chance. The Kenjas are lovely purple tones this year!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
how do you like skiing on the head SL
I really like my SLs. Edge grip is fantastic on them (I have the side bevel set to 3 and the base is .5) and I LOVE the bases on them... super slidey. Wish all my skis had the base my SL does. They are not the most forgiving skis in bumps or in chopped up crud, but I feel like having to learn to adapt to these conditions with a ski that is particular about how it wants to be skied has only improved my skiing.

I'm pretty happy with my new quiver at the moment. My SLs demand better technique from me and reward it with a blast of a ride when you get it (vaguely) right, and my Factions just make everything easy.

ceestan

Certified Ski Diva
Been meaning to post my quiver evolution. A little background: I learned to ski as a kid (5th grade) at Mammoth Mountain (my family lived in Bishop, CA then). Fun fact: On that same class field trip where I learned to ski was my classmate Chris Benchetler who grew up to become a professional skier and the designer of the Atomic Bent Chetler skis. He was already a MUCH better skier than any of the other kids. :smile:

My family didn't ski and I only skied every now and then for most of my life. It's always been one of my great joys in life, but it wasn't until only the past two years that I've skied regularly enough to justify having my own pair of skis as an adult.

I'm 5'1", 118 lbs, ski mostly Oregon, and came back to the sport as an intermediate. I bought a pair of Blizzard Black Pearl 88s in 147 cm. Skied a couple powder days in them and promptly realized that if I wanted to continue skiing those types of conditions (my fiance is a powderhound), I'd have a better time on a wider ski. So then I became something I never thought I'd become: the owner of TWO pairs of skis. Added a Blizzard Sheeva 10 in 156 cm.

IMG_0285.jpg

The next season I came back stronger, had taken a bunch of lessons and progressed really quickly. I was skiing faster and harder than I used to, and noticed that my Black Pearls were folding up on me when I tried to ski through crud, or really just any kind of variable snow. Suddenly they felt super flimsy to me, so I decided I wanted a stiffer/longer ski and bought the Nordica Santa Ana 93 in 158 cm. I was honestly scared of these skis, especially after I mounted them and the bindings added that much more heft to them. But let me tell you something, my first day out on them was a revelation. These skis make me so much more confident, and they are such a hoot to ski. I'm literally hooting and hollering finishing some of my runs on these things. I've heard the advice to women skiers to "get a length that scares you," and that was definitely true of my experience.

IMG_1452.jpg

After the first day out on the Santa Anas, the Black Pearls were officially dead to me (RIP, thank you for your service), so I traded them in through Powder7.com (got a great trade-in value on them too) and swapped in a pair of Nordica Santa Ana 110 Frees in 161 cm, which brings us to my present quiver.

I have not had a chance to ski the 110s yet, and probably won't this season? I actually sprained my knee while demo'ing a pair of Salomon QST Stellas earlier this month (a contender against the 110s that I ultimately decided against). I should be back out in April, but planning to do easy groomer days on the 93s for the rest of the season. So this is kind of the outlet for my new ski excitement, since I can't actually ski them for awhile.

Anyway! Thanks for letting me babble. I love this forum! And as you can tell, I really love gear!

Last edited:

sorcamc

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Been meaning to post my quiver evolution. A little background: I learned to ski as a kid (5th grade) at Mammoth Mountain (my family lived in Bishop, CA then). Fun fact: On that same class field trip where I learned to ski was my classmate Chris Benchetler who grew up to become a professional skier and the designer of the Atomic Bent Chetler skis. He was already a MUCH better skier than any of the other kids. :smile:

My family didn't ski and I only skied every now and then for most of my life. It's always been one of my great joys in life, but it wasn't until only the past two years that I've skied regularly enough to justify having my own pair of skis as an adult.

I'm 5'1", 118 lbs, ski mostly Oregon, and came back to the sport as an intermediate. I bought a pair of Blizzard Black Pearl 88s in 147 cm. Skied a couple powder days in them and promptly realized that if I wanted to continue skiing those types of conditions (my fiance is a powderhound), I'd have a better time on a wider ski. So then I became something I never thought I'd become: the owner of TWO pairs of skis. Added a Blizzard Sheeva 10 in 156 cm.

View attachment 20845

The next season I came back stronger, had taken a bunch of lessons and progressed really quickly. I was skiing faster and harder than I used to, and noticed that my Black Pearls were folding up on me when I tried to ski through crud, or really just any kind of variable snow. Suddenly they felt super flimsy to me, so I decided I wanted a stiffer/longer ski and bought the Nordica Santa Ana 93 in 158 cm. I was honestly scared of these skis, especially after I mounted them and the bindings added that much more heft to them. But let me tell you something, my first day out on them was a revelation. These skis make me so much more confident, and they are such a hoot to ski. I'm literally hooting and hollering finishing some of my runs on these things. I've heard the advice to women skiers to "get a length that scares you," and that was definitely true of my experience.

View attachment 20846

After the first day out on the Santa Anas, the Black Pearls were officially dead to me (RIP, thank you for your service), so I traded them in through Powder7.com (got a great trade-in value on them too) and swapped in a pair of Nordica Santa Ana 110 Frees in 161 cm, which brings us to my present quiver.

I have not had a chance to ski the 110s yet, and probably won't this season? I actually sprained my knee while demo'ing a pair of Salomon QST Stellas earlier this month (a contender against the 110s that I ultimately decided against). I should be back out in April, but planning to do easy groomer days on the 93s for the rest of the season. So this is kind of the outlet for my new ski excitement, since I can't actually ski them for awhile.

Anyway! Thanks for letting me babble. I love this forum! And as you can tell, I really love gear!
I love your story and your skis! I just ordered a pair of Head Power Joys bc I wanted a true carving ski again. My daily is a Volkl 90 waist (Kenja) in 163. I am 5'7ish..My first ski was a 140- then I went to 156 and 163 feels right. If I were to get a true powder ski - I guess it should be 170. Those fat Nordicas are SO pretty!!

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
I love your story and your skis! I just ordered a pair of Head Power Joys bc I wanted a true carving ski again. My daily is a Volkl 90 waist (Kenja) in 163. I am 5'7ish..My first ski was a 140- then I went to 156 and 163 feels right. If I were to get a true powder ski - I guess it should be 170. Those fat Nordicas are SO pretty!!
Good to know that length is good for you. I’m the same height and still on 159.

ceestan

Certified Ski Diva
Lol I'm also 5'1" /115. My powder skis are 169cm and weigh over 8.5 lbs WITHOUT bindings. Although I reflect on my sins everytime I carry them to the slopes, they are a blast in tracked out Sierra cement.
I've really appreciated your posts sharing your thoughts on the Faction skis. I was seriously considering the Faction Dancer 3x (short list was the Dancers, 110 Santa Anas, or QST Stellas) and it was really hard to find reviews/thoughts on the women's skis. I ended up having to settle for reviews of the men's version and flexed the men's version at Evo. It ultimately felt like the more risky choice and perhaps too burly for me. But I am super partial to the purple topsheet on the Dancer, and love the look of the Faction skis in general. Maybe later! And yes, the tracked out Sierra cement (or in my case PNW cement) is no joke. I kept getting shop people steering me toward softer surfier powder skis. I'm sure they're fun in the morning, but right around lunch time you start getting your ass kicked, haha.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've really appreciated your posts sharing your thoughts on the Faction skis. I was seriously considering the Faction Dancer 3x (short list was the Dancers, 110 Santa Anas, or QST Stellas) and it was really hard to find reviews/thoughts on the women's skis. I ended up having to settle for reviews of the men's version and flexed the men's version at Evo. It ultimately felt like the more risky choice and perhaps too burly for me. But I am super partial to the purple topsheet on the Dancer, and love the look of the Faction skis in general. Maybe later! And yes, the tracked out Sierra cement (or in my case PNW cement) is no joke. I kept getting shop people steering me toward softer surfier powder skis. I'm sure they're fun in the morning, but right around lunch time you start getting your ass kicked, haha.
FWIW, there is no difference in construction between the men's/unisex and women's Faction skis. Only difference between the two lines are the topsheet colors and lengths available.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna