• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Tell me about your ski quiver!

Jilly

Staff member
Those guys have a long turning radius. G as in Giant Slalom. They will be stiff too. X9 would have been a better choice.

But get the bindings adjusted and to ski them. Have fun.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Those things are supposed to be rockets. :smile: I think @nopoleskier demoed them and she said these things like to go very fast.
Yes- those skis like to go very fast... they reward good balance, form and I htink to enjoy must be 'on center' on them. they don't like to skid.. On edge-they can go 0-60 in about 30yards or less. I opted for the ladies version Cloud 11's they are still bullet fast but again, not an easy ride IMO---last year I sold them to a high school racer since I have my more forgiving but very fast Liberty's

Elizabeth.I

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Those guys have a long turning radius. G as in Giant Slalom. They will be stiff too. X9 would have been a better choice.

But get the bindings adjusted and to ski them. Have fun.
Unfortunately, the selection for carving skis was pretty sparse at the used ski sale, especially for what I wanted to pay. These aren't full FIS GS skis and have a turning radius of 17.6m in this length so at least we aren't in the 25+ category (like some of my other skis- 17.6m is actually the shortest turning radius I've ever own)! I definitely won't be on them a lot, just wanted something fun and not boring before off piste terrain is open in the early season and on icy spring mornings before the off piste warms up. If I don't like them, I'll just sell them!

Last edited:

Jilly

Staff member
I just went through my quiver here at the cottage. Checking to see what needs work. My rock skis need a tune up. Since they will be the first skis skied, I'll get that done shortly. The other 2 pairs don't need any work. I mean when you can still the base structure, nothing needs to be done.

So only work is binding adjust if needed with the new boots.

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Unfortunately, the selection for carving skis was pretty sparse at the used ski sale, especially for what I wanted to pay. These aren't full FIS GS skis and have a turning radius of 17.6m in this length so at least we aren't in the 25+ category (like some of my other skis- 17.6m is actually the shortest turning radius I've ever own)! I definitely won't be on them a lot, just wanted something fun and not boring before off piste terrain is open in the early season and on icy spring mornings before the off piste warms up. If I don't like them, I'll just sell them!
I think it's a good idea - working on your carving before the off-piste terrain opens. Have fun!

I do something similar, and I bought Stockli Montero AX, which are the first narrower (80 mm) skis I felt very comfortable on, hoping to spend more time on them and work on my technique in bumps on a narrower ski and also refine my carving further. I am really excited about Montero - they are forgiving and powerful at the same time, biggest performance range ever IMHO. I have never experienced in any other ski; I think it's the special construction - softer tip due to an S-shape slit in the metal and their shape. I used to wonder why Stockli are so $$$ and whether it's worth it until I demoed them. :smile:

Patronainthe801

Certified Ski Diva
I try not to demo skis because I always end up buying new skis afterwards. I have more than enough in my quiver to cover most of any conditions I can think of, and I am running out of space to store them. But I know the quiver will continue to grow regardless...

My quiver are the 6 pairs from the left:

Stockli Laser AX
Stockli Nela 88
Kastle FX 96
Kastle MX Limited
Rossi Saffron 7
Kastle MX89

Not pictured:
Kastle MX84 - my friend borrowed it last season and hasn’t returned it yet!

View attachment 19302
As a Stockli, Volkl, and Kastle lover myself; I gotta ask...which pair is your across-the-board favorite?

Elizabeth.I

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not going to lie, I was kind of intimidated to try these skis after some of the feedback I received here, but I found them very easy and fun to ski on the groomers. Highly recommend to advanced skiers if one wants an easier going (non-FIS) GS ski! First time being on something sub 97mm!
20221106_131721.jpg

Last edited:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Not going to lie, I was kind of intimidated to try these skis after some of the feedback I received here, but I found them very easy and fun to ski on the groomers. Highly recommend to advanced skiers if one wants an easier going (non-FIS) GS ski! First time being on something sub 97mm!
View attachment 19536
Hey I have those poles ! Grassticks !

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
where did you mount your SOS 173 and 180 skis? I am ready to sell my 173, or maybe i should try a different mount position.
The 173s are mounted with Griffon Demos, and by nature of my 287 boot sole length, my toe piece is as far back as it can go. That puts me just shy of 1 cm back. The 180s are mounted on the line.

In general, I tend to like the more neutral “unisex” mount position on all my skis.

Are you having issues with yours?

GuloGal

Certified Ski Diva
My quiver (I'm 5'6" and 130lbs)

Resort: Fischer ranger 102 163
Everyday backcountry: G3 seekr 100 170
Spring/summer touring: K2 talkback 88 160

I'm currently replacing the G3 seekr setup with Zag Ubac 102 and ATK raiders, but I'm on the fence about going 164 or 170 with the skis. I like a slightly short ski as I'm not a powerhouse (a very good technical skier but more style than strength). The Ubacs have a longer effective edge than the seekrs and I'm concerned the longer length might be detrimental in tight spots like couloirs or bush skiing.

I'd also love a fat resort ski when funds allow, probably Nordica Santa Ana 110.

A fatter touring ski would also be nice for the unicorn deep days, but the price of such a setup is hard to accommodate. Probably G3 seekr 110 or DPS Pagoda 112, maybe the Zag Bakan 112 depending on how I like the Ubacs. I don't like reverse camber twin tip type skis, which dominate this category.

Elizabeth.I

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My quiver (I'm 5'6" and 130lbs)

Resort: Fischer ranger 102 163
Everyday backcountry: G3 seekr 100 170
Spring/summer touring: K2 talkback 88 160

I'm currently replacing the G3 seekr setup with Zag Ubac 102 and ATK raiders, but I'm on the fence about going 164 or 170 with the skis. I like a slightly short ski as I'm not a powerhouse (a very good technical skier but more style than strength). The Ubacs have a longer effective edge than the seekrs and I'm concerned the longer length might be detrimental in tight spots like couloirs or bush skiing.

I'd also love a fat resort ski when funds allow, probably Nordica Santa Ana 110.

A fatter touring ski would also be nice for the unicorn deep days, but the price of such a setup is hard to accommodate. Probably G3 seekr 110 or DPS Pagoda 112, maybe the Zag Bakan 112 depending on how I like the Ubacs. I don't like reverse camber twin tip type skis, which dominate this category.
I've heard excellent things about the ATKs! Probably best tech bindings out there! I just stick with the marker alpinists because they ski well and are much cheaper haha.

I guess for the length of the Zags, just thinking what you prioritize. Are you skiing a lot of couloirs or steeps? If so, then shorter is probably better. Regarding the longer skis, I'm not familiar with the Zags, but I'm guessing if you're not backseat, even the longer ones should be nimble enough in trees to get you down! Might not be cruisey and fun though. In general, you really only need the length if you want the stability at speed. Are you skiing anything fast? Or just going at your own speed and enjoying yourself? I sized down on my Sierras because of couloir skiing and steep skiing with jump turns and I don't need them to rip. I have other skis to fit that need!

Powder skis would be nice, especially if you like spending time in rogers pass ;)

GuloGal

Certified Ski Diva
I've heard excellent things about the ATKs! Probably best tech bindings out there! I just stick with the marker alpinists because they ski well and are much cheaper haha.

I guess for the length of the Zags, just thinking what you prioritize. Are you skiing a lot of couloirs or steeps? If so, then shorter is probably better. Regarding the longer skis, I'm not familiar with the Zags, but I'm guessing if you're not backseat, even the longer ones should be nimble enough in trees to get you down! Might not be cruisey and fun though. In general, you really only need the length if you want the stability at speed. Are you skiing anything fast? Or just going at your own speed and enjoying yourself? I sized down on my Sierras because of couloir skiing and steep skiing with jump turns and I don't need them to rip. I have other skis to fit that need!

Powder skis would be nice, especially if you like spending time in rogers pass ;)
I'm mostly worried the shorter ones might not plane well and I'll be working to keep the tips from diving. I'm not a speed demon in the backcountry, I just like to cruise and enjoy myself.

So far I haven't felt I needed a fatter ski except for a few days here and there. But what's the point of having a job if you aren't buying skis right?

Elizabeth.I

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm mostly worried the shorter ones might not plane well and I'll be working to keep the tips from diving. I'm not a speed demon in the backcountry, I just like to cruise and enjoy myself.

So far I haven't felt I needed a fatter ski except for a few days here and there. But what's the point of having a job if you aren't buying skis right?
If you're going to now ski in purcells and selkirks, get a 104mm minimum. Even a 108mm is solid for a daily driver. You'll be miserable in deep pow on 102mm traditional skis! Plus, you still have your K2s for spring days and firm couloirs! If the ski is fatter, you won't have to rely on the length for float as much!

Other than around KH, this isn't rockies snow!

Last edited:

tri-ski-pucker

Certified Ski Diva
The 173s are mounted with Griffon Demos, and by nature of my 287 boot sole length, my toe piece is as far back as it can go. That puts me just shy of 1 cm back. The 180s are mounted on the line.

In general, I tend to like the more neutral “unisex” mount position on all my skis.

Are you having issues with yours?
My center point of boot appears to be approximately 34.5" when i pull a tape from tip on my 173. tails feel like they get caught up at times. thinking of moving them back further.

Jilly

Staff member
What is the centre point of your boots, verus the centre point of the ski? There is an arrow on the edge of the ski for this.

That is the position that @volklgirl is talking about.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna