• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Golf Divas?

altagirl

Staff member
We only played a few times last year due to COVID.

I do look forward to golfing again, but it looks like my golfing partner just tore her ACL skiing, so that won't help.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This will be my 5th season of golf. I started a few years ago because I was looking for things to do for retirement and figured it’d take me a very long time to learn and get good in golf so I wanted to start learning early. Well, I got addicted immediately and couldn’t stop playing! I play around 180 rounds a season and even with covid shut down last year, I still managed to play 110 rounds. This is how crazy my obsession is :crazy:
I take the winter off to ski and March is about time I make the transition to golf as the weather gets warmer. I cannot wait til I am swinging again:thumbsup:

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't think there are even 180 days in the golf season where I live! LOL That is awesome!!
Where are you located? I am in NM - I get about 7 months of good golf weather, 2 months of ok early season golf/ski if necessary, and 3 solid months of skiing. Weather is awesome here!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Perhaps I should start a different thread, but for us newbies.. any suggestions on a good starter set of clubs to learn with? I'm always of the mind to get something halfway decent that I can grow into rather than total garbage I'll have to replace quickly, but don't want to spend an arm and a leg either.

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
Where are you located? I am in NM - I get about 7 months of good golf weather, 2 months of ok early season golf/ski if necessary, and 3 solid months of skiing. Weather is awesome here!
I am in Buffalo, NY. I suppose if I push the edges of the season, there might be 180 days to golf... depends how much mud I am interested in dealing with. Haha! We do have a couple golf dome indoor driving ranges, but I am not doing indoor things due to COVID this year. I miss going out there to hit a few buckets and blow off steam with coworkers.

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
Perhaps I should start a different thread, but for us newbies.. any suggestions on a good starter set of clubs to learn with? I'm always of the mind to get something halfway decent that I can grow into rather than total garbage I'll have to replace quickly, but don't want to spend an arm and a leg either.

Do you have BuyNothing groups where you are? I actually got my set of clubs for free through my neighborhood BuyNothing. They're an entry-level beginner set, but very serviceable for my current needs, and they had just been sitting in another woman's basement unused. That doesn't really help with what set to get -- but it might be a way to get started until you know more about what you want/need. Or even Craigslist. I think plenty of people try golf and give it up, or sell old beginner gear when they upgrade.

Unlike old, used skis, there doesn't seem to me that there would be any huge physical safety risk to used clubs.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

My first starter set was Adams ladies from Costco. I think they have Callaway Edge now for $500. I got fitted at the end of my first season and found out I have long arms for my height (5’3”) and needed shorter clubs. I had to take 0.5-1” off and adjust the lie angle to 3* flat. I went with Callaway Steelhead ladies graphite irons and XR hybrid/wood/driver. I have since replaced my hybrid/wood/driver to a senior flex but am still using my beginner irons. If you don’t mind buying used clubs, Callaway Preown has great prices and the women’s clubs are practically new! Trading in used clubs is quite common for golf so you can actually start with game improvements clubs and trade up as needed without breaking the bank.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Do you have BuyNothing groups where you are? I actually got my set of clubs for free through my neighborhood BuyNothing. They're an entry-level beginner set, but very serviceable for my current needs, and they had just been sitting in another woman's basement unused. That doesn't really help with what set to get -- but it might be a way to get started until you know more about what you want/need. Or even Craigslist. I think plenty of people try golf and give it up, or sell old beginner gear when they upgrade.

Unlike old, used skis, there doesn't seem to me that there would be any huge physical safety risk to used clubs.

Good points, I'll have to look into the local groups around me to see if there's anything popping up. I was starting to wonder if it might be hard to get this type of equipment now with the seasons about to change.. like what's happened with bikes and cross country skis/snow shoes etc. in Covid times.

MissySki

Angel Diva
My first starter set was Adams ladies from Costco. I think they have Callaway Edge now for $500. I got fitted at the end of my first season and found out I have long arms for my height (5’3”) and needed shorter clubs. I had to take 0.5-1” off and adjust the lie angle to 3* flat. I went with Callaway Steelhead ladies graphite irons and XR hybrid/wood/driver. I have since replaced my hybrid/wood/driver to a senior flex but am still using my beginner irons. If you don’t mind buying used clubs, Callaway Preown has great prices and the women’s clubs are practically new! Trading in used clubs is quite common for golf so you can actually start with game improvements clubs and trade up as needed without breaking the bank.

Great info, thank you! I'll definitely check out the preown site. I'm 5'4" with long monkey arms, so also good to keep in mind that I might need adjustments due to that.

Susan L

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The risk of used club by private sellers (craigslist, ebay, nextdoor, etc) is you don’t know if the clubs are modified to fit someone. Most people play stock clubs without needing adjustments but there are people like me who changed the length and lie angle and if you end up with my clubs, it will really screw you up. So make sure you ask before buying.

Most women start with ladies clubs - lighter, shorter and the shaft is more flexible. Usually what’s important about clubs is the shaft (weight and flex). If you develop a faster swing, the next step up is men’s senior shaft, then men’s regular, then men’s stiff. I only know 2 ladies who play men’s regular so make sure you are starting with ladies flex. I have upgraded my long clubs to senior flex but I am still using my game improvement ladies irons and don’t plan on changing them out eventhough I am a much better golfer now.
Golf clubs are not as complicated as skis, you don’t need to grow into the clubs nor do you need to grow out of them, especially for irons. So any decent brands will last for a very long time unless your swing speed improves significantly.

Last edited:

SkiBam

Angel Diva
I still consider myself a golf newbie though I have been playing for several years. This is not something I EVER thought I would enjoy in my retirement years, but it goes to show, you never know! I bought a set of ladies clubs at GolfTown (a chain - maybe in the US also?). Then a few years later a friend convinced me to have them sized for me. The "Golf Father" (yes, that's what he calls himself!) shortened them and put on a smaller grip to fit little me.

Am I any good? Not very, though improving ever so slightly. If I compared my golf "prowess" to skiing, I might classify myself as a low-end intermediate. Have taken a few lessons and did a Road Scholar golf week in Pennsylvania a few years ago. I keep thinking if I had only started golf when I started skiing, I might be pretty good at it. Do take lessons if you can. Like skiing, there's really no point in practising if you're doing it wrong.

And don't play with people who take it overly seriously and are likely to get angry and throw their clubs in the water. My gang is out there for fun - and we have lots of laughs. I'm looking forward to getting out again but the season is a ways off here - still a ton of snow on the ground. So, poor me, I'll just have to keep skiing for a while.

altagirl

Staff member
I play with mens clubs, though my set is a mishmash of new and used that is in a continual state of upgrade. I've gone in for fitting and video analysis several times and they had me try ladies and senior clubs but it doesn't work as well. But I am 5'9" and large framed overall. My other friends who are thinner bit the same heights were fitted with seniors clubs but not ladies clubs. (Basically in between the two). The one started on ladies clubs but was overpowering them and her instructor convinced her to change. Our local shop does test fitting for free, even if you are buying used clubs there. It's definitely worthwhile.

altagirl

Staff member
And I'd agree there is no harm in starting with used clubs. Good to do some testing and determine what fits you. But I started there and then have added a hybrid and a newer used driver and putter and a loft wedge.... and in retrospect I could have bought a nicer new set for that money BUT it's nice to ease into it, test out one thing at a time and learn as you go. Or at least I like that method.... I didn't know how much I'd like golf so it made sense to start cheap.

Last edited:

marzNC

Angel Diva
It was all about introducing women to golf as a business skill. Turned out I really enjoyed it and while I have still only played a handful of complete rounds, it's something I am looking forward to doing more of.
That's how I got started. Like TSD, what was nice was being able to play with women who were really good golfers and interested in helping newbies by playing 9 holes in the late afternoon after working hours. Not having to look for a golfing buddy was very helpful.

The "business skill" aspect came into play when I knew enough to participate in a 4-ball tournament when visiting one of the offices my company had in another state. I'd worked with people from that office virtually for a few years. The Saturday tournament was a great way to get to know them a little better.

kiki

Angel Diva
It’s nice to see we have so many golfers here! Nice to have a chance to plan and get excited about the upcoming season together.

I normally golf about 60-90 times a year but that includes many “short” rounds of 9 holes as I work full time so on weekends I play 18 holes Saturday and Sunday but during the week I tend to go after work and play 9 holes in the evening. As with skiing it changes from year to year with weather, health etc.

lots of discussion on clubs. These can be a money pit, like skiis. I did get fitted before investing in my clubs which I think minimized churn on cycling of clubs, I’ve been using the same set about 7/8 years now and they have many more years of life in them. I use the men’s seniors shaft on my driver and fairway woods, and a women’s shaft on my irons and hybrids. Definitely recommend getting fitted.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I got started playing golf in the late '90's (when I lived in NM), when a tennis friend dragged me over to the local golf pro and had me take a set of beginners' lessons. After that, I was able to play with friends, although I never played consistently then.

When I moved to TN I discovered what was then the Executive Women's Golf Assoc, which has now been morphed into the LPGA-Amateur Golf Assoc, and started playing every Wed after work in a Nine & Dine league, as well as on some weekends and some Chapter events.

If you have an LPGA-Amateurs Chapter near you, it's a great way to get to play with other women in a non-judgmental environment. It really is like Diva Golf.

MissySki

Angel Diva
So I was able to confirm yesterday that the country club ~3miles from my house is going to hold their women's clinic again this summer. No dates confirmed yet, but the last one in 2019 started in early June and went for 4 weeks. They had two options for times, lunchtime or evening on Mondays.. I'm hoping it will be the same this time around as well because I might actually be able to do an extended lunch for it with how close it is to home and Mondays being a pretty dead Zoom day for me currently. We'll see.

What are your thoughts on getting clubs ahead of this sort of thing? Is it best to have your own stuff to learn with, or better to get some tips on what to buy during the session?

In my own online research I've come across this set quite often as a great first set for women. I'd still go try and do a fitting etc. before buying anything, but curious if anyone has an opinion on the set and also if it's important to go with the full 16 piece set or start smaller and add to it as you go since there are sets with lesser pieces as options here too.

https://www.amazon.com/Callaway-Ult...fb2be7f4b29e65bd7c35417e3ecba8&language=en_US

This is an Amazon listing, but the set is also sold through Dick's Sporting Goods which offers fittings.. Or is it better to go to a really golf specific place for a fitting and to get more educated on things before deciding on a purchase? I've also been keeping my eyes open for local listings but haven't had anything peak my interest yet.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna