• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

What are Divas reading?

DeeSki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just finished "Homegoing" by Yaa Gyasi. Powerful read. Could not put it down and cried through the last chapter.
It’s amazing. Really recommend this one.

“The Fortune Men” by Nadifa Mohamed is fantastic. Based on true events which took place in Cardiff, Wales in the 1950s.

Currently reading Colm Toibin’s “The Magician” which is about Thomas Mann. I’m a bit meh about it. Toibin is massively popular and critically acclaimed and I liked the movie of “Brooklyn” but his books don’t really do it for me.

Tvan

Angel Diva
I also recently finished ”Demon Copperhead.” My love for Barbara Kingsolver‘s “Poison Wood Bible” knows no bounds. While the story line of Demon Copperhead didn’t hold me as rapt as Poison Wood did, I really enjoyed her use of language and dialect, and her character development is truly amazing. It’s raw, heart-breaking and at times funny. I also recently read “Empire of Pain” which is about the Sackler family and their role in the opioid crisis. “Demon Copperhead” and “Empire of Pain” would make a remarkable pairing for a book club.

Tvan

Angel Diva
@ski diva - I read Jon’s “Marley” during my Covid Christmas last year and really enjoyed it. Looking forward to the General and Julia.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also recently finished ”Demon Copperhead.” My love for Barbara Kingsolver‘s “Poison Wood Bible” knows no bounds. While the story line of Demon Copperhead didn’t hold me as rapt as Poison Wood did, I really enjoyed her use of language and dialect, and her character development is truly amazing. It’s raw, heart-breaking and at times funny. I also recently read “Empire of Pain” which is about the Sackler family and their role in the opioid crisis. “Demon Copperhead” and “Empire of Pain” would make a remarkable pairing for a book club.
I absolutely loved Demon Copperhead and have recommended it to so many people. I'm lucky in that a friend of my parents is big in the book scene over here and she sends them parcels of books on a regular basis. The latest one was Kawai by Monty Soutar, its a novel about pre colonial Maori but based on historical fact. A little bit gruesome in parts but fascinating and I couldnt put it down.

Tennessee

Angel Diva
Demon Copperhead!!!! Highly recommended. It’s about Lee county in SW Virginia a little less than an hour from me. Real places and realer people! So true to life here in Appalachia. The Peggot’s are TRUE and represent the heart of our communities. Don’t know what we’d do without people like them. Devil’s Bathtub is a real scenic hiking place as are so many other settings in the book so it felt extra special to me. Love love love Barbara Kingsolver. She lives in Meadowview, VA which is also in SW Virginia but not Lee county. Won some big award, lol!!! First Appalachian novel to do so.

ALSO!!! Can’t wait to read “The Covenant of Water” by Abraham Verghese. His last book, “Cutting for Stone” was a masterpiece. He also has a connection to this area as he used to live and work here. Met him at ETSU (East Tn State U) when we both worked there in the 80-90’s. His first book was non-fiction about the AIDS crisis and treating patients in this area — he’s an MD. Now at Stanford.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Demon Copperhead!!!! Highly recommended. It’s about Lee county in SW Virginia a little less than an hour from me. Real places and realer people! So true to life here in Appalachia. The Peggot’s are TRUE and represent the heart of our communities. Don’t know what we’d do without people like them. Devil’s Bathtub is a real scenic hiking place as are so many other settings in the book so it felt extra special to me. Love love love Barbara Kingsolver. She lives in Meadowview, VA which is also in SW Virginia but not Lee county. Won some big award, lol!!! First Appalachian novel to do so.

ALSO!!! Can’t wait to read “The Covenant of Water” by Abraham Verghese. His last book, “Cutting for Stone” was a masterpiece. He also has a connection to this area as he used to live and work here. Met him at ETSU (East Tn State U) when we both worked there in the 80-90’s. His first book was non-fiction about the AIDS crisis and treating patients in this area — he’s an MD. Now at Stanford.
I absolutely loved it :love:

MrsPlow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can recommend The Salt Path by Raynor Winn - a rather amazing story of coping with what life throws at you. She and her husband walked the south west coast path around Devon and Cornwall after they were hit by some life-changing situations in their 50s. I think there's a film in the works, but the book is a great read.

Reactions: AJM

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Three biographies - Martha Washington, Abigail Adams, and Lord Byron.
I'm also reading a murder mystery series by Jean-Luc Bannalec that take place in Brittany. Wonderful exploration of culture and geography in addition to solid characters and good plot lines.
I'm also enjoying the Thursday Murder Club series - great summer reading. Very entertaining.
Lastly, there's always Jane Austen. :smile:
Lastly, Lastly - I'm reading James Joyce's Ulysses. I'm doing an online course to accompany it. Otherwise it would be incomprehensible.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I just finished Demon Copperhead... Wow....

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Pretty powerful book and excellent writing. Agree with @Tvan's interpretation of "raw, heartbreaking, and at times funny." My BF's daughter recommended when we were in Park City and said it was the best book she ever read. Took me awhile to download from library to kindle but only a few days to read! Couldn't put it down.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Just started reading a book a friend brought by with a bottle of wine after a death in my family..... The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt.

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another one that has been recommended to me is Pineapple Street by Jenny Jackson so I might give that a try but after reading all the mixed reviews I might not :laughter:

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Long haul reader here . . . Goldfinch by Tartt . . . Amazing. Do read it.
Anyone here get thru "The Last Chairlift" by John Irving? I recommended this earlier. Also falls in the long haul but worth it category.
Im quite fond of a long haul but worth it book so I'll try and get my hands on both these.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Anyone here get thru "The Last Chairlift" by John Irving? I recommended this earlier. Also falls in the long haul but worth it category.
There are very few books I don’t make it through. The Last Chairlift was one!

Christy

Angel Diva
My husband did. He reported it had not one but two screenplays embedded in it. Maybe one day I'll make it past page 250.

DebbieSue

Angel Diva
Swinging back around to Demon Copperhead. Excellent, excellent! And then for those who didn't know, it is derivative of Dickens' David Copperfield. Peggots/Peggotty, etc . I never read Copperfield , so decided to after Demon Copperhead, having been advised of the connection by my more literary friends. Talk about a long haul. Charles Dickens is that. He was paid by the word, and it shows. It is also somewhat autobiographical for Dickens. Demon Copperhead is amazing writing as a stand alone masterpiece. When you see how it relates to David Copperfield, Kingsolver's genius absolutely breathtaking. Read them both. I can't begin to advise as to what order is better.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna