• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Flights cancelations everywhere. What are your experiences?

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
It took us about 6 months to get our appointment but that was pre-Covid.
there are cancellations every day. We just met a person who drove 2 hours to get hers the same day. I was able to go to the Border Patrol in Ohio and it took 5 min. Then out to lunch for awesome Lake Erie Perch. Good luck-keep checking.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Daughter and BF flew non-stop RDU-LGA between North Carolina and New York City a week ago. No cancellations but not uneventful flights.

There was a 30 min delay for the early morning flight on a Friday morning. The long delay was on the way back on Monday due to a mechanical problem that required waiting for a part. The passengers were fully boarded and had to de-plane. Then they had to pay attention since eventually there was a gate change. Got $15 food vouchers. The annoying point was when everyone was boarded on the actual plane and then they had to wait another 20 min for a flight crew to arrive because the original crew was out of hours. At least they were in the new LGA terminal.

Jilly

Staff member
So experiences traveling from Toronto to Tampa Florida. Security was a cinch. Lined up but it was quick. US Customs....gong show. They had to shut down the security check as there were too many people in the Customs line up. At least 1 hour + to clear Customs. I got lucky. This security person comes up to me in the line and asks "are you travelling by yourself?". Yes.. "come with me". I get to this doorway and she states to me...follow this wall, turn left at the end and go to the first officer. So I walk along the wall, turn left and see the "crew" line for Customs. Ah?? But she told me to go there. So I get to the Customs officer, and does she have a chip on her shoulder!! "Why are you here?" "Ah, I was told to come here by a security officer" Well that, (she points to the line I came from) is your line, you go back there. Many more sentences than that, but that's "Cole's notes".

So, I turn around and go back to the original line. The security officer meets me 1/2 way back the wall, asks, what's going on? So I tell her..."follow me". She gets a supervisor and I get through.

US Customs need to get their act together. It's 7am on a Friday morning. They have 4 officers set aside for airline crew. I get it, they need to get through, but the 4 officers aren't doing anything. There is a person directing the end of the huge line up to which customs line you go to. There is no reason why the air crew custom officers can't take joe blow average when there are NO air crew people in any line. That's what this security officer could see.

Also it's pays to dress a notch above the rest. I was wearing a skort, polo/golf shirt and running shoes, and carrying a purse and carry on. I didn't look "rich", but well dressed for summer. Not that yoga pants or tights are a bad thing for travel, but, I'm sure this security person would not have approached me if I hadn't been dressed the way I was.

So, a couple of other things...West Jet gave a couple of people at least 1/2 hour before they started to pull their luggage off the plane. For whatever reason, they hadn't cleared customs before we were to depart. So I give WJ cou-dos, for trying to help. The crew stated that if they found their luggage before they boarded then they weren't coming. Well they found their luggage.

Once we landed, the crew informed us that it would take at least 1/2 hour before our luggage would show up. I had rented a car, so I needed to see where that was for pick up. Also on the plane were 3 other team mates that needed to get to Sarasota. So I up graded the car to a larger one to carry everyone. My team mates gave my gas money which I will put towards that extra cost.

We'll see what happens on the way back!!

Competition starts Tuesday!!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Ick, yet another reason that flights can be messed up. This is a current Travel Advisory for Southwest.

Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 10.25.50 PM.png

Jilly

Staff member
Well Toronto Pearson is trying. We were not allowed to leave the plane till there was a lull in Custom check. Then 1/2 the plane was allowed to go. Still had to wait for checked luggage. Next trip no checked bag!! Tampa was great. Fast security check. Plane was a few minutes late, but not long. Not as frustrating as some people are having. Our Calgary teammates got to the hotel on Saturday night. So they got there.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Another very bad weekend for the airlines for cancellations. Thunderstorms in many major airports on the east coast are the primary reason.

April 5, 2022

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
:bump:

Based on recent weather and the ghastly experiences with Southwest, I'm bumping this up. I'm booked (with points) on SWA to go to Park City in March. I have had SW cancel for weather in the past and re-book me. But current situations sound nerve wracking. I have a friend trying to get back to RI from FL. She's having no luck so far. I can cancel my flight and keep points any time. But my hotel (also points) can only be canceled to early February.

So what is current experience among the Divas? And for the next question, what is anyone buying for trip insurance for cancellations and baggage issues?

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah, I'm worried about it, too, since my flight reservations to Taos for Diva West are with Southwest. I always buy trip insurance, so that helps, but I'd hate to have problems getting there. My only hope is that the airline gets its act together by then.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, I'm worried about it, too, since my flight reservations to Taos for Diva West are with Southwest. I always buy trip insurance, so that helps, but I'd hate to have problems getting there. My only hope is that the airline gets its act together by then.
Where are you getting trip insurance. I started looking and I'm overwhelmed by the options!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In October, I bought an annual trip insurance policy through Allianz because I had several trips planned . It’s good for a year.

I only need coverage for the one trip. I saw Allianz as an option. I don't need extra medical since I'm staying in the US, although I saw that as an option. Thanks for advice here!

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We’re skiing Winter Park and lines are lighter than I would expect for a holiday week (today they were longer) we were curious if the flight cancellations were to blame. We’ve met a few people with crazy stories - family at the grocery store in matching sweatpants who had their connection cancelled so decided to drive in a compact car but are 4 days in with no luggage/ skis and no idea if they can get home.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga