• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Flights cancelations everywhere. What are your experiences?

Jilly

Staff member
Also at least here in Canada in the big cities....getting your passport. Passport offices were closed during Covid. In Montreal they are camping out on the sidewalk to get in line for the next day entry. The news reported that some women in Vancouver actually flew to Edmonton because she heard she could it that day. She did in about 3 hours.

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My college reunion was this past weekend, and the flight issues people had in and out of Bradley and Logan were: flight cancellations and unable to be rebooked on a flight less than 24 hours later, long layovers for connections, etc. Some people were only able to make it to a couple of events before having to turn around and do it all over again.

Eera

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We are going to NZ in August, usually we'd get the Virgin flight which has a 1.5 hour change in Brisbane. Virgin cancelled all their NZ flights a few months back so we are now on Qantas, who frankly don't have the great record of getting me to my destination at the best of times. So I've factored in overnight stops, which seems a bit silly for a total of four hours in the air between two flights, but I'd rather have plenty of wiggle room.

I've had flights to Japan booked since March; right now those flights don't actually appear on the schedule as the carriers haven't ramped up their services yet. Again, booked overnighters and bulk time between flights to allow for any changes from ANA and JAL. Also payed a bit extra to book directly with the airline companies as I've found it's heaps less hassle to deal with the airline direct in regards to schedule changes etc, than it is through an agent.

I suppose I could wait until the flights are actually in place but I figure there's some kind of magic and if I book them, they will come. Day to day I function on a mixture of hope, blind faith in the airline industry, and caffeine.

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
My college reunion was this past weekend, and the flight issues people had in and out of Bradley and Logan were: flight cancellations and unable to be rebooked on a flight less than 24 hours later, long layovers for connections, etc. Some people were only able to make it to a couple of events before having to turn around and do it all over again.
Where did you go to school?

mustski

Angel Diva
Boy, if I'm ever having a bad work day I'll have to remember to read that to get some perspective. My bad days aren't ever THAT bad. *shudder*
If you have THAT kind of day be smart enough to sleep on it before posting something that 'might' embarrass your employer!

I have had no problems or delays when flying on weekdays. I think it is wise right now to take extra days off and fly out a day early and home late. All my flights were on time and everyone was super nice. If they were stressed, it didn't show. My schedule was:
Thursday night: Reno to Vegas (visit my son)
Friday morning: Vegas to Sioux Falls (visit my SIL)
Tuesday afternoon: Sioux Falls to Denver. 1 hr layover. Denver to Vegas. (visit my son again and my other
SiIL)

Thursday (tomorrow): Vegas to Reno .... cross your fingers that I have't just jinxed myself! (me throwing salt over my shoulder for no good reason other than my Irish mother always did that and it seemed to work out for her!)

Amie H

Angel Diva
I almost always fly direct flights going TO a place; I'll sometimes connect coming home, if it means avoiding a redeye flight. I have the luxury of having those options living very near a hub airport.

I will have flown at least once a month through August (except for June.) Most of my flights are either to ski (wherever) or to visit with family in Philly and there are tons of daily nonstops between ORD-PHL. My next flight is late July to Philly to go down the shore for boogieboarding at the beach in NJ at my parent's house. Hopefully no issues then. If so, eh, it's not a tragedy, I'll just take another flight.

I've had the AA and United apps on my phone for years. VERY helpful and exactly as the Facebook post noted: sometimes you learn of cancellations before anyone else. I definately know that happened to me circa 2019-ish outbound from ORD, sitting at gate, alert of cancellation from AA app, I rebooked immediately and walked to the new gate. I can't remember the details but I lectured my (at the time) college-age daughter to put the apps on her phone after my experience.

I will state, though, that these days, between Covid and weird/bad behavior of other passengers, I try to work deals with airline miles and such to bump up to 1st class/business class on most flights. Not that people in premium seats don't behave badly (I've sat next to my share of shoe removers!) but the volume of human beings is lower. It's a sad commentary.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I will state, though, that these days, between Covid and weird/bad behavior of other passengers, I try to work deals with airline miles and such to bump up to 1st class/business class on most flights. Not that people in premium seats don't behave badly (I've sat next to my share of shoe removers!) but the volume of human beings is lower. It's a sad commentary.

So many people’s fuses have been short in public during the last two years. Being packed in cattle class only exacerbates the issue. I don’t blame you for this at all. When my grandpa died and I had to fly to SF while in some significant pain, I actually paid for premium economy on United (which is in effect second class on certain flights…. They serve a full meal with stainless steel flatware). I just knew I didn’t have any more spoons to deal with the discomfort and extra crowdedness of economy, even though 95% of the time I refuse to even get economy plus because I am short and don’t need the extra space.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I get premium economy on flights often and I'm short. I'm Covid paranoid and didn't want to be close to anyone on my trip to Hawaii. Well guess what, I had two people sitting next to me and I was double masked.
A week after I returned I got an exposure notification from the State of Hawaii that I was near someone that had Covid..... the date was the day I flew to Hawaii....

Amie H

Angel Diva
@ilovepugs - I'm also short and the1.5/1.75 hour flights to Philly never seemed worth vying for 1st (quick flight, no meal.) I'm content in most coach seats with a sweater/wrap and a good book. The game has changed.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
My policy the past few years has become to fly less but pay/use miles for better seats. And honestly, while there are lots of plusses I think it's the glassware that sealed the deal for me lol. Having a g&t in a real glass or tea in a real mug...ahh...
Your point about the carbon cost of flying is definitely something I’ve kept in mind too and I’m trying to do the internal work necessary to adopt it as part of how I live my life.

altagirl

Staff member
I get premium economy on flights often and I'm short. I'm Covid paranoid and didn't want to be close to anyone on my trip to Hawaii. Well guess what, I had two people sitting next to me and I was double masked.
A week after I returned I got an exposure notification from the State of Hawaii that I was near someone that had Covid..... the date was the day I flew to Hawaii....
DH had an exposure notification from a flight to Denver recently, but was masked and didn't get it (or at least no symptoms and no positive test).

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I pay more for the expensive seats, but the last time I flew out of here in first class, I was surrounded by non-masking passengers (while there was still a TSA mandate) in first class for the first time. Not that there’s anything wrong with it being one’s first time, but there’s no need for everyone in the cabin to know based on behavior and words.

mustski

Angel Diva
There was no one masked on any of the flights I recently took. There more in the airport masked than on the planes.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
After multiple exposures, I’ve managed to avoid Covid. That being said, I double mask on airplanes.

mustski

Angel Diva
I actually feel pretty safe on airplanes now. They have super upgraded filtration systems and change out the inside air with outside air every couple of minutes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna