• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Flights cancelations everywhere. What are your experiences?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I only need coverage for the one trip. I saw Allianz as an option. I don't need extra medical since I'm staying in the US, although I saw that as an option. Thanks for advice here!
I got the plan for $280 because it included medical evac insurance and I was going to be traveling in Mexico on 4 flights for two weeks in Mexico. Also, I've been shelling out $$$$ in advance for upcoming ski trips to Park City and Taos and may also be booking a trip to Hawaii in the spring and another one to Mexico sometime later in the year.

Many airlines have the option for around $30 or so to add travel insurance to flight.

mustski

Angel Diva
At this point, I would pay the extra to allow a full refund if possible. I do think the problems this time around are due to this monster storm that swept across the country ... but that could happen again. We plan to drive to Taos...but that could be a problem also if bad weather hits. Right now we are in Big Bear and trying to find a day to drive to Reno. We have to drive through 3 mountain passes and it doesn't look like there is a day in the near future. I think our plan is to drive to Sacramento and bunk down in a hotel until a day looks decent for driving to Reno via the I-80. The 395 will be a no go - Mammoth is getting feet and feet of snow and that is just the first mountain pass!

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
At this point, I would pay the extra to allow a full refund if possible. I do think the problems this time around are due to this monster storm that swept across the country ... but that could happen again. We plan to drive to Taos...but that could be a problem also if bad weather hits. Right now we are in Big Bear and trying to find a day to drive to Reno. We have to drive through 3 mountain passes and it doesn't look like there is a day in the near future. I think our plan is to drive to Sacramento and bunk down in a hotel until a day looks decent for driving to Reno via the I-80. The 395 will be a no go - Mammoth is getting feet and feet of snow and that is just the first mountain pass!
Good luck and stay safe! I remember being in Mammoth as a kid and seeing 18 inches bury our car.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was in that Southwest mess in Baltimore/Washington airport on Friday when it all fell apart. The airport was shoulder to shoulder people standing in long lines waiting for an employee behind a desk to find another flight after theirs was cancelled. No seating left; people were setting up camp on the floors. It was hard to move through the crowds. I camped on the floor and used the phone; called reservations at Southwest and got a person immediately, but no seat could be found. Called Customer Service at Southwest immediately afterwards and got a person also; couldn't find a seat. Well, actually both of those calls did find a seat for me on something that day or the next, but while filling out the form the seat disappeared. I kept giving up, then calling back. Seats would appear, we would try to book, and they would disappear. So my hopes kept going up and down, roller coastering. Eventually I got a seat on a later flight that day - hooray! It was supposed to leave at 7:30. The plane was sitting there, but it got delayed because they couldn't get enough crew members (1 pilot short, 2 flight attendants short) to legally fly. At 10 they cancelled it. I sat on the floor calling again. This time I was told no flights would be available until Dec 28. Then this person offered to book me on another airline, and I took that for Sunday evening. I was late for Christmas.

I could write more words about my lost luggage, but won't. I did get it; it showed up at my destination just fine, but that night I spent a long time in a line in Baltimore to talk to a human behind a counter to find out where it was. They didn't know, but assumed it would reach the destination before me.

I now have more stored $$ in credits for Southwest. They did not give me a refund, only credits.

I'm booked on Southwest for Taos. Winter storms happen. Not sure what to do about that reservation. I need a backup.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
What. A. Nightmare. I’m exhausted just reading about it!

I’m booked on Southwest for Taos, too, as well as for a trip to Florida in February to see my mom. My only hope is that there’s enough time between now and then to get this under control.

Last edited:

Jilly

Staff member
I was looking at the CSIA WIS Summit in Sun Peaks last week. But I've decided that I don't want to fly. It'll be in the east next year. I can wait.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
With flying, we always take a backpack carry on that has all of our ski equipment and our boots as the personal item. This way if the luggage gets lost all we have to do is rent the skis. Always be prepared!

Yes, we do this, too. It really helped a few years ago when our skis (and most of my husband's clothes; he thought he was being so smart packing them in the ski bag) were lost during the Diva West trip to Aspen. It took four days before the bag was found at a FED EX facility in Memphis! Lord knows why. Luckily, we had our information on a card INSIDE the bag, since all the identifiers on the outside had been torn off! We were also lucky we had trip insurance, so we were able to rent skis and buy clothing without incurring a huge debt.

Here's a blog post I wrote about what to do if the airline loses your skis.

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A couple of days ago DD and I rode the lift with a nice man from Texas who said he had driven 14+hours to Mammoth b/c his SW flight was canceled. Packed up the family + 1 friend and stuffed them into the biggest SUV he could rent and drove straight thru. Not sure about his return trip as its been intermittent 'riders of the storm' since then with major aircraft/wind advisories.

artistinsuburbia

Angel Diva
A couple of days ago DD and I rode the lift with a nice man from Texas who said he had driven 14+hours to Mammoth b/c his SW flight was canceled. Packed up the family + 1 friend and stuffed them into the biggest SUV he could rent and drove straight thru. Not sure about his return trip as its been intermittent 'riders of the storm' since then with major aircraft/wind advisories.
We had 6 of us traveling from Pittsburgh to Denver get cancelled on Southwest with no options to rebook in a timely enough fashion to make our reservations. We packed up the cars and put the Yakima on top and 32 hours later were in Breckenridge. I was not losing my VRBO rental money. LOL

We drove to Chicago last week to catch up with some of our kids, and our grandkids. One of my daughters and her GF were going to join us but they were booked on Southwest and their tickets were canceled. Southwest grounded most of their flights for like a week! Crazy.

mustski

Angel Diva
Good luck and stay safe! I remember being in Mammoth as a kid and seeing 18 inches bury our car.
We’ve seen many storms in Mammoth over the years. Driving to Reno is a new challenge. Last year, snow storms were MIA most of the winter so it wasn’t a problem. A Reno friend suggested taking the 6 from Bishop to the 360 to the 95 as that would avoid the mountain passes. @socalgal and her family just drove that way. It took longer but they said it wasn’t snowy. The storm closed the Mono pass at Lee Vining but the alternate route was fine. I guess we’ll find out as these storms show no sign of letting up.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I did buy a small trip insurance policy. After some investigation, I learned I cannot insure the value of the points for the flight or the portion of the hotel booked on points. So my limit is fairly small, but it does include cancellation and baggage. I learned a lot which might apply to future trips. And this is the first time I have ever purchased insurance, so I’m already ahead of the game should anything go awry.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I’m flying from Boston to Vail tomorrow, going through Dallas. I’m on American Airlines, we’ll see how it goes! This is the first time I’m flying since coming home from Diva West in early 2020. Crossing everything that we don’t have any delays or cancellations along the way.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@MissySki Fingers crossed for you that everything goes smoothly! Depending on your credit card, some of the things on the travel insurance would be covered anyway. Again using points kills that for me! Have a blast! And share it with us!

Christy

Angel Diva
I had a SEA-LAX flight cancelled in December (which made me miss an international connecting flight--a flight that only goes once a week) when it was frosty here because apparently now SEA is so busy there isn't enough room or staff to de-ice all the planes when it's cold. All of these travel woes are going to make it a lot easier for me to fly less which is my intention.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Funny because I haven’t flown since 2020.. but now I am scheduled to fly to CO tomorrow, to Taos for Diva West in late February, and back to CO to see a shoe at Red Rocks in late May. So I guess I am making up for lost time.

Usually I fly once per year, maybe twice once in a while.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna