• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Out for the season

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Went up to Mammoth for the first time since December. Not skiing of course, but took a nice walk with a friend who recently had a knee replacement. Then had a wonderful lunch.

Mammoth has a very special place in my heart and I've enjoyed being here even though I haven't even seen the mountain.

Also visited with @mustski, her DH and her dogs. In fact we are going to barbecue hot dogs and other goodies this evening.

Attachments

• IMG_5617.jpg
    IMG_5617.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5619.jpg
    IMG_5619.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_5620.jpg
    IMG_5620.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 20

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
My DH and I used to be avid bowlers. It was another activity to be enjoyed during the week in the cold snowy winters of New York City. When we moved to California we stopped bowling as much, but have begun again in recent years. Our favorite bowling alley sells a Summer Bowling Pass for under $70, which allows us to bowl 3 games/day every day from May 1 through Labor Day. It's quite a bargain and has become a summer social activity.

I wondered how I would manage this year. We bought passes and yesterday was our first day bowling since my accident. I had all sorts of concerns about my possible inability to walk down the alley or to throw anything but the lightest of bowling balls. As often happens these days, my worries were unfounded.

I was able to use my regular weight bowling balls and to take small steps down the alley. Admittedly I got zero strikes in 3 games, but I made a few spares and very much enjoyed the feeling of getting back to another normal activity. The accuracy will improve (hopefully) as the summer progresses.

I'm very competitive, but this season it's not about the score. It's about having fun and getting stronger. I was excited to be able to do that yesterday!

Amie H

Angel Diva
My DH and I used to be avid bowlers. It was another activity to be enjoyed during the week in the cold snowy winters of New York City. When we moved to California we stopped bowling as much, but have begun again in recent years. Our favorite bowling alley sells a Summer Bowling Pass for under $70, which allows us to bowl 3 games/day every day from May 1 through Labor Day. It's quite a bargain and has become a summer social activity.

I wondered how I would manage this year. We bought passes and yesterday was our first day bowling since my accident. I had all sorts of concerns about my possible inability to walk down the alley or to throw anything but the lightest of bowling balls. As often happens these days, my worries were unfounded.

I was able to use my regular weight bowling balls and to take small steps down the alley. Admittedly I got zero strikes in 3 games, but I made a few spares and very much enjoyed the feeling of getting back to another normal activity. The accuracy will improve (hopefully) as the summer progresses.

I'm very competitive, but this season it's not about the score. It's about having fun and getting stronger. I was excited to be able to do that yesterday!
Just went bowling in my neighborhood last night with a friend. We used to go to this bowling alley often as a family when my kid was little. Santa brought her her own shoes, glittery bowling ball, and bag one Christmas! I haven't been there in years but wish I had, because it was terrific.

We opted to meet up there because they have great happy hour specials for food and beer M-Th from 3 to 6 and games are $3 before 5pm. And the food was actually GOOD! I had a tasty personal pizza for $4!!!
So...I'm thinking I'd like to coax the hub to make it a weekly date night spot.
I'd like to invest in my own gear, especially a lighter ball because I have arthritis in my right hand, but it's milder in my left, so I was bowling leftie yesterday.

Any suggestions for a good place to buy shoes and other gear? I saw Dicks Sporting Goods has online but not in-store. My husband already has shoes. I don't believe this alley has a pro shop. I would like to try on because I've had trouble buying shoes online lately.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
@Amie H $3 games and decent food? Go for it! Having your own shoes and a ball that fits you properly will really enhance the experience.

I suggest using Yelp to find your closest pro shop. I checked and found several but they are probably in Chicago itself. You will probably have to go to the pro shop twice - once to select a ball, the second time to pick it up after it's been drilled. Of course you can buy shoes the first time and see how they work. If the shop is in a bowling alley they should comp you a game or 2 to test out the fit.

Good luck.

Amie H

Angel Diva
@Amie H $3 games and decent food? Go for it! Having your own shoes and a ball that fits you properly will really enhance the experience.

I suggest using Yelp to find your closest pro shop. I checked and found several but they are probably in Chicago itself. You will probably have to go to the pro shop twice - once to select a ball, the second time to pick it up after it's been drilled. Of course you can buy shoes the first time and see how they work. If the shop is in a bowling alley they should comp you a game or 2 to test out the fit.

Good luck.
I found a sizeable pro shop at an alley about 15 min away (via I-90) so I will check out their selection & prices. Thanks for the suggestion to ask for a comped game to try out a ball!

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to bowl. Had my own ball and everything. Purple glitter ball, purple bag with dinosaur theme, grey shoes. All this was stored on the top shelf in the garage. In trying to get it down, the ball fell out of the bag squarely on the top of my head. I saw stars. I went upstairs and called a friend, who started to laugh and said something about Fred Flintstone. Thank goodness no serious/permanent damage or injury, but I got rid of that ball. Shoulda hung on to it.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I used to bowl. Had my own ball and everything. Purple glitter ball, purple bag with dinosaur theme, grey shoes. All this was stored on the top shelf in the garage. In trying to get it down, the ball fell out of the bag squarely on the top of my head. I saw stars. I went upstairs and called a friend, who started to laugh and said something about Fred Flintstone. Thank goodness no serious/permanent damage or injury, but I got rid of that ball. Shoulda hung on to it.

You were mad at it! I don't blame you.

But it would be nice if you still had it.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I saw the surgeon today for my 6 month followup.

And now I'm in the same place where I've been for two months. To my surprise, the surgeon didn't jump up and down and forbid skiing. He said that the knee is ready for skiing. But...if I fall...it might be a disaster. I will see him again on December 23. So the decision is back on my shoulders.

He went from "You will never ski again" to "You may ski if you want to." My physical therapist made exactly the same leap and was not surprised that I was considering skiing again though he was completely against it when I first saw him.That's a big change and indicative of the progress I have made.

snowski/swimmouse

Angel Diva

And now I'm in the same place where I've been for two months. To my surprise, the surgeon didn't jump up and down and forbid skiing. He said that the knee is ready for skiing. But...if I fall...it might be a disaster. I will see him again on December 23. So the decision is back on my shoulders.

He went from "You will never ski again" to "You may ski if you want to." My physical therapist made exactly the same leap and was not surprised that I was considering skiing again though he was completely against it when I first saw him.That's a big change and indicative of the progress I have made.
Right direction! Sometimes they find out that we're not the "average bear"!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member

I think they're afraid to over-promise. Nonetheless, it's clear that you're doing a lot better than they initially thought. You'll get there!

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva

Wow, you are doing fantastic. Keep up the work.

Jenny

Angel Diva

What do they mean by a disaster? Like, they couldn’t do yet another knee replacement so you would be in a wheelchair for the rest of your life? That would certainly weigh heavily into a decision. Congrats on getting this far, and here's hoping something comes clear for you by the time December comes around.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
What do they mean by a disaster? Like, they couldn’t do yet another knee replacement so you would be in a wheelchair for the rest of your life? That would certainly weigh heavily into a decision. Congrats on getting this far, and here's hoping something comes clear for you by the time December comes around.

Here's what another surgeon who is familiar with the type of knee told me:

"I only know of one patient who skis post distal replacement.

Her Swiss surgeons view, which i agreed with is that to fracture again around the prosthesis would be exceptionally challenging to sort out and retain a good functioning knee/leg."

I don't know anything about the patient but her doctor has told her to avoid the worst case scenario. I'm just not sure how that is accomplished. I may actually try to get in touch with her as I have months to figure this out.

Again, this type of knee is normally given to patients who are much older and less active than I am. So it's hard to find data on people who have remained somewhat athletic after a distal femoral replacement.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've just read through your posts in this thread to catch up on what's going on with you. It sounds like you have a real dilemma deciding what to do about skiing in the future. I found the reply you posted from the knowledgeable knee surgeon on that other forum quite thorough... and sobering. I also looked up what a distal femoral replacement is.

What are you thinking you might do as ski season approaches this upcoming winter? Do you have numerous options in mind?

Is not skiing one of your options? If so, what would you replace it with?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna