• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Masks for skiing

Ski Sine Fine

Angel Diva
My first day on the slopes. It took me multiple tries to get the mask and goggles sealed properly to stop my glasses from fogging. I have the primal 2.0 mask with the X brace so it keeps away from my mouth. I also replaced the filter with a cut-to-size KN95. Once I got it set up just right, I didn’t fiddle with it the rest of the day and I was fine, even when breathing hard. Afterwards, I noticed the mask was sopping wet but since it was held away from my face it didn’t bother me.

By the way, OMG, almost 10 months since I skied last and the first few runs were like I haven’t a clue.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Went shopping at Aldi today (wanted the Christmas tree gnocchi for the holidays) and guess what I found in the bottom of my shopping bag after check out. Damn, those gremlins/ borrowers/ ghosts are sneaky! Happy to have my mask back (of course I just got notification that the replacement purchase has shipped already) but still, how on earth did it end up in there? The shopping bag was nowhere near my ski gear at any time, I swear!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My first day on the slopes. It took me multiple tries to get the mask and goggles sealed properly to stop my glasses from fogging. I have the primal 2.0 mask with the X brace so it keeps away from my mouth. I also replaced the filter with a cut-to-size KN95. Once I got it set up just right, I didn’t fiddle with it the rest of the day and I was fine, even when breathing hard. Afterwards, I noticed the mask was sopping wet but since it was held away from my face it didn’t bother me.

By the way, OMG, almost 10 months since I skied last and the first few runs were like I haven’t a clue.

I start every year thinking I should know how to ski but it feels like I can’t! Just in case you were looking for a kindred spirit!

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
After sweating with my regular seirus mask (with holes) and a 2 layer bandana (fleece lined /thick fabric) on top of it in the lift line I ended up pulling out a regular cheap 3 ply surgical mask today as does @SallyCat and @mustski I believe. Easy. I saw others with them as well. I think better than a thin buff.

So I'm wondering if it will create the 20/21 version of a goggle tan .... the "surgical mask" ski tan as it doesn't cover your entire face lol .....

Jilly

Staff member
So I'm wondering if it will create the 20/21 version of a goggle tan .... the "surgical mask" ski tan as it doesn't cover your entire face lol .....

When I was packing a few weeks ago, I was wondering about sunscreen. I didn't pack it. Between the masks and goggles, I don't think I'll be needing it this season.

Reactions: alr

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I was looking for my SPF lip balm . Oops don't need it.

BMR

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Best combo by far! The Bioskin mask. When the goggles come down over it, there's some pressure. The goggles press it and any potential airflow is stopped. I have terrible fogging problems, wearing both glasses and goggles. All was FINE today.

Newboots, per your recommendation I ordered the Bioskin mask and tried it today. I actually liked it. At first my goggles fogged up a little bit on the top, but not too bad. After that for some reason all was fine. I was hoping to keep it on like that all day and not pull it down, but after one particularly nervous run I had to stop and rip it down to catch my breath :smile: I started by having the loops around my ears, but after a while that got annoying, and I figured out that I could remove the ear pieces from the helmet and clip them back on with the mask loops attached. That worked really well! The only trick is you have to put the helmet on with the mask attached to it, but it's not a big deal since the loops are stretchy.

newboots

Angel Diva
I figured out that I could remove the ear pieces from the helmet and clip them back on with the mask loops attached.

Genius!

I did have the same experience - a bit of fog when I was getting started. I think the change in temperature just fogs glasses right up. I let mine drop for awhile when it got wet from my breath, and after a couple of runs it was dry again! (I pulled up my Seirus Evo Dana in the meantime.) I like this mask.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Genius!

I did have the same experience - a bit of fog when I was getting started. I think the change in temperature just fogs glasses right up. I let mine drop for awhile when it got wet from my breath, and after a couple of runs it was dry again! (I pulled up my Seirus Evo Dana in the meantime.) I like this mask.
So you wore the bioskin mask (cute designs) with the Seirus Evo Dana over it?

newboots

Angel Diva
So you wore the bioskin mask (cute designs) with the Seirus Evo Dana over it?

I wore the Bioskin mask (the design with blue and green mountains, outlined in gold!) most of the day. I pulled up the Dana when (1) I needed to dry off the wet Bioskin, leaving it hanging or (2) when I wanted another layer (leaving it on). I was amazed how fast it dried when I stopped breathing on it.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I wore the Bioskin mask (the design with blue and green mountains, outlined in gold!) most of the day. I pulled up the Dana when (1) I needed to dry off the wet Bioskin, leaving it hanging or (2) when I wanted another layer (leaving it on). I was amazed how fast it dried when I stopped breathing on it.
Think I'll order that 3 pack of mountain scenes..... thx

Jenny

Angel Diva
I wore my bioskins mask today, with my regular windproof gaiter over it. Didn’t have any problem with fogging, and it didn’t get any wetter than the gaiter usually does. No issues breathing either.

I did not try my Seirus Dana mask, am saving that for colder days, but DH wore his and didn’t have any issues. I may need to sew something soft over the nose seam before I can wear it, however, because what none of you who've worn them have yet mentioned is how blessed annoying that seam is! Maybe I’m a princess, but I was annoyed with it after just a couple of minutes here in the house. Had a red line going down the top of my nose, too.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I wore my bioskins mask today, with my regular windproof gaiter over it. Didn’t have any problem with fogging, and it didn’t get any wetter than the gaiter usually does. No issues breathing either.

I did not try my Seirus Dana mask, am saving that for colder days, but DH wore his and didn’t have any issues. I may need to sew something soft over the nose seam before I can wear it, however, because what none of you who've worn them have yet mentioned is how blessed annoying that seam is! Maybe I’m a princess, but I was annoyed with it after just a couple of minutes here in the house. Had a red line going down the top of my nose, too.
That seam is annoying (forgot to mention bruise on the top of my nose). I like the gaiter as is loose-y goose-y so isn't suffocating .

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I skied a good amount of ski days now and yes Bioskin masks, both the earloop and tie behind work well, Seirus Evo Dana works well too, yes agree the seam is a bit annoying, but I can deal with it I think. For full days of skiing when it's cold I would carry a spare Bioskin mask or 2 and change for the dry one after lunch. If the temps are below 20 the mask tends to freeze and it's hard to pull it up when you get to lift line, so my solution was to switch to a dry fresh mask after lunch.

Getting Ready

Angel Diva
Have not worn the under armor gaiter mask for skiing yet but on a long walk in the snow, it definitely got soggy. Not as much fogging on glasses as some masks but definitely some fogging. Definitely not magic. Boo.

kiki

Angel Diva
@Jenny @newboots the bioskin mask, Is it the double layer or single layer one? I see there is a pocket for a filter do you add one?

For ski lessons we have to wear the mask 100% of the time even when skiing and fogging is an issue for me at the best of times...

kiki

Angel Diva
Also (and my apologies if I missed this in discussion) for the seirus evo Dana what size are we liking??

newboots

Angel Diva
@Jenny @newboots the bioskin mask, Is it the double layer or single layer one? I see there is a pocket for a filter do you add one?

For ski lessons we have to wear the mask 100% of the time even when skiing and fogging is an issue for me at the best of times...

I have the single. If I get more, it will be the double.

My Dana is a small, and it’s quite snug. Someone else complained that hers was slipping - not a problem for me. They close in back with Velcro, so there’s room for adjustment.

Jenny

Angel Diva
@kiki - Dana mask - We got mediums, and the Velcro strips are just barely in the right place to fasten, so I was pondering adding a bit more. But they do hold, and having it a little large like this lets me put it over another gaiter and means it isn’t too tight on my face.

The Bioskins mask I have doesn’t have a filter slot, and it looks like it's just one layer, but their website calls it two layer and says something about the layers woven together, blah, blah, blah. I need to buy some with the filter pocket - not sure why I didn’t the first time, unless I wanted a pattern that didn't have it and vanity won.

My setup Saturday was bioskins mask under windproof gaiter. Gaiter just barely covered my nose but I didn’t have to worry about it falling down at all, and then mask was tucked right up to the goggles, but not actually under any of the foam. Everything stayed put really well, and fogging wasn’t an issue. But I also wasn't working nearly as hard as I’d be in a lesson, which could make a difference, I suppose.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna