• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

TR Taos Feb. 1-7, 2020

marzNC

Angel Diva
The Blake condo building that is under construction matches the height of the Blake hotel. No more major development will happen in the future because there isn't any more private land available. The "village" will remain small.

I took the picture from the teaching area accessed by the Pioneer lift
Taos 05Feb2020 - 5.jpg

MissySki

Angel Diva
I know you weren't asking me but . . . I'm on my Stöckli Stormrider 85 skis. With dry snow, I've skied them in over 12 inches of snow several times in the last couple years. Between Taos Ski Weeks and other lessons out west, I don't need wider skis for deep snow as much any more.

I was curious about the group overall! :thumbsup: Mostly because at diva west recently I found that I was actually happiest in all of the powder on my own Sheeva 9s that are only 92 underfoot. This surprised me! Not always the case at home in heavier pow, but in the light snow there I didn’t want anything more. I’m also still coveting those Stocklis!!

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was curious about the group overall! :thumbsup: Mostly because at diva west recently I found that I was actually happiest in all of the powder on my own Sheeva 9s that are only 92 underfoot. This surprised me! Not always the case at home in heavier pow, but in the light snow there I didn’t want anything more. I’m also still coveting those Stocklis!!
If you are asking I was on Kastle FX106 HP, the 106 mm wide skis, which is my powder skis. They did well in fluffy snow, but I wished the had some metal for the heavier snow the next day.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I'm interested in your impressions of these skis. I've tried both and wonder if yours match mine (I don't want to say what they were because I don't want to influence you).
Hike got postponed until tomorrow so took out the Mindbenders in a 156 in the afternoon. First impression:
Great groomer ski - really rips
Bumps - too much work to get around bumps. Felt like tails dragged.
Did not ski in powder or trees on the Mindbenders.
The four of us skied aggressively this morning in trees and bumps and some drills so I was a little tired and I did bang my knee this morning before skiing. So there's that - wasn't exactly fresh.

Bottom line:
Would I buy these skis? Nope
Would I buy the SA 93 with 2 sheets metal? In a heartbeat.

I don't think I'll have time to demo tomorrow which is too bad. So many skis, so little time.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Hike got postponed until tomorrow so took out the Mindbenders in a 156 in the afternoon. First impression:
Great groomer ski - really rips
Bumps - too much work to get around bumps. Felt like tails dragged.
Did not ski in powder or trees on the Mindbenders.
The four of us skied aggressively this morning in trees and bumps and some drills so I was a little tired and I did bang my knee this morning before skiing. So there's that - wasn't exactly fresh.

Bottom line:
Would I buy these skis? Nope
Would I buy the SA 93 with 2 sheets metal? In a heartbeat.

I don't think I'll have time to demo tomorrow which is too bad. So many skis, so little time.

Interesting. I skied the Mindbenders, too, and didn't like them at all.

mustski

Angel Diva
The Blake condo building that is under construction matches the height of the Blake hotel. No more major development will happen in the future because there isn't any more private land available. The "village" will remain small.

I took the picture from the teaching area accessed by the Pioneer lift
View attachment 12051
The one bedrooms are all sold already and the two bedrooms are going for 1.7 million!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Interesting. I skied the Mindbenders, too, and didn't like them at all.
Is it they were too stiff? They were a lot of work in the bumps and I didn't dare take them anywhere else challenging. I definitely would not purchase them. So what did you think of the head kore now that I won't be doing any more demoing?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hike got postponed until tomorrow
None of the instructors took their groups on a hike up to the Ridge because of the high winds and cold temps. Uncrowded in the morning compared to yesterday when the powder hounds willing to hike were waiting in line before Lift 1 opened at 9:00. Kachina Peak never opened for hiking today so they didn't have a reason to show up this morning.

Snow surfaces were better today in some ways but worse in others. Plenty of windblown all over on groomers. Not quite as cold, so the sliding was better. Yesterday it was so cold that unless someone had special wax for the frigid temps, it was definitely slower going than usual. Our instructor took us another route to check out Blitz and decided to go somewhere else instead. She called the snow "too funky." However the snow on Al's Run was quite nice. We did the middle section. So we exited before the lower section that still has a few exposed rocks. It was the first time for me, Bill, and @santacruz skier .

Olesya Chornoguz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
None of the instructors took their groups on a hike up to the Ridge because of the high winds and cold temps. Uncrowded in the morning compared to yesterday when the powder hounds willing to hike were waiting in line before Lift 1 opened at 9:00. Kachina Peak never opened for hiking today so they didn't have a reason to show up this morning.

Snow surfaces were better today in some ways but worse in others. Plenty of windblown all over on groomers. Not quite as cold, so the sliding was better. Yesterday it was so cold that unless someone had special wax for the frigid temps, it was definitely slower going than usual. Our instructor took us another route to check out Blitz and decided to go somewhere else instead. She called the snow "too funky." However the snow on Al's Run was quite nice. We did the middle section. So we exited before the lower section that still has a few exposed rocks. It was the first time for me, Bill, and @santacruz skier .
It was a fun day! Snow was great on Al's for sure. I have skied middle of Al's before either last year or the year before, that is definitely the easier section of Al's run.

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Sunday was a little warmer, with plenty of sun. After the morning Ski Week for me, Bill, @Olesya Chornoguz , and @santacruz skier with Stephanie, we decided to take the Kachina lift. With the storm coming in, Stephanie noted that it's hard to say whether or not there would be another good day later in the week. Snow was fine, but not quite enough coverage so had to watch out for rocks.

New Gazex (on right) is one of three
View attachment 12011

There are people down close to the trees.
View attachment 12012
Awesome to see photos from the top for someone who hasn't had an opportunity to get up there!

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
Most of the Divas are doing the Women's Ski Week. There was needed re-shuffling of the groups this morning. A bit more than usual because more women were interested than expected. At least one instructor had to be added on Monday. @teppaz and @Yamaste are in the same group. I skied with them and one of their group mates this afternoon. Showed them some of the short blue/black bump shots over near Lift 4 off Patton.

My friend, Chris, is happier in a new group. The original assignment wasn't a good fit, partially because he was the best in the group and wasn't feeling challenged.

One thing that's different about the ski-off compared to last season is that the most expert groups gather at the bottom of the ski-off trail. Beginners are closest to the top near the Whistlestop.
Women's Ski Week with Olympic Gold Medalist (1984) Deb Armstrong as the Leader has been awesome! Deb has been circulating among all the different groups to ski with and give personal instruction and tips to participants, as well as giving us an intro talk. She also scheduled sessions with various groups to personally critique the videos of our skiing.

Here are a couple of photos of Deb "in action":

Attachments

• IMG_0354.jpg
    IMG_0354.jpg
    376.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0368.jpg
    IMG_0368.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 13

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Women's Ski Week with Olympic Gold Medalist (1984) Deb Armstrong as the Leader has been awesome! Deb has been circulating among all the different groups to ski with and give personal instruction and tips to participants, as well as giving us an intro talk. She also scheduled sessions with various groups to personally critique the videos of our skiing.

Here are a couple of photos of Deb "in action":

How Awesome!!!

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
I’m curious. Does women’s ski week use different instructors than usual Taos ski weeks?
They are the same instructors, but only the women instructors (actually, they got such a big response to this year's Women'sSki Week that they had to pull in two of the male ski instructors to accommodate the number of students!).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga